Transfer portal - outbound | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Transfer portal - outbound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Leone participated in senior day. His departure was not a surprise and known ahead of time.
I was obviously referring to the macro departure picture. FWIW people knew he was leaving before senior day...but that's not the point either....the point is people would be less wound up if less people from the two deep were leaving....and really it comes down to one meaningful guy in Coyle and to a lesser extent Leone.

Reaction Score
This is not speculation - just posting twitter feeds and/or anything reported by mainstream media.

the experienced players are leaving. Pushing the program even further behind where it was this season. Time to PULL the PLUG !

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I was obviously referring to the macro departure picture. FWIW people knew he was leaving before senior day...but that's not the point either....the point is people would be less wound up if less people from the two deep were leaving....and really it comes down to one meaningful guy in Coyle and to a lesser extent Leone.

I really want to keep quiet about this but there is just too much wrong info out there.

It wasn't Coyle's choice.

90% of those leaving that were RJr's or Sr's with a year left of playing eligibility were told they were not coming back.
As a RJr or Sr, you need to be invited back. It is not a guarantee. (every year is like this but 99% of the time it's honored through year 4)
I won't list names and I am not making this up. The few others had already declared privately (with some coming out publicly as we saw)
Some actually wanted to come back or at least be asked back and it was a surprise with some.

The transfer portal has EVERYONE from players, to coaches to admins to parents and fans riled up and uneasy and quick to point fingers and address blame.

Reaction Score
I really want to keep quiet about this but there is just too much wrong info out there.

90% of those leaving that were RJr's or Sr's with a year left of playing eligibility were told they were not coming back.
As a RJr or Sr, you need to be invited back. It is not a guarantee. (every year is like this but 99% of the time it's honored through year 4)
I won't list names and I am not making this up. The few others had already declared privately (with some coming out publicly as we saw)
Some actually wanted to come back or at least be asked back and it was a surprise with some.

The transfer portal has EVERYONE from players, to coaches to admins to parents and fans riled up and uneasy and quick to point fingers and address blame.
I’m at a total loss as to why Coyle, Leone, and some others wouldn’t be invited back.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 55m
STAT OF DAY: Of the 2 full recruiting classes Diaco had w/#UConnFootball, only Jay Rose remains. 20-of-21 have transferred from 2016 class

ThisIsUConnCountry@UConnSN 53m
Of the 2015 Diaco class, 12-of-23 left under Edsall, 11 by way of transfer, with Nazir Williams being dismissed for disciplinary reasons

ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 50m
In 2015 class, 4 transferred under Diaco leaving just Peart, Hergy, Beals, McLean, Campbell & Cespedes, who used up full eligibility

Reaction Score
I think most of you are missing the point. The Portal offers NO promises. These young men have basically said "Anywhere but here". REject has ALWAYS put it on the players and that only plays for so long. Some of you are only looking at replacing the athletic talent, but the problem is evident to me when solid young men like Donovan Williams, Mason Donaldson and Cam Degeorge hit the exits with no promises for the future. Again- it screams "ANYWHERE BUT HERE!" I cant wait to see the spin on this. I KNOW who ISNT going to take any responsibility for this.
The OLine departures are huge. Would love to see the plan for spring ball. 8 Oline on roster by my count. Looks like lot of 7 on 7 (unless we lose more DBs)

People talk about all these transfer, without knowing no facts and there reasons.... Nobody knows how hard it is to get into a Masters program in UConn, it is hard and there is competition to get get in. Maybe, these graduates are moving to a place they could get in a masters program or a school that would bend the rules to let them in.

Reaction Score
Of the 2015 Diaco class, 12-of-23 left under Edsall, 11 by way of transfer, with Nazir Williams being dismissed for disciplinary reasons

In 2015 class, 4 transferred under Diaco leaving just Peart, Hergy, Beals, McLean, Campbell & Cespedes, who used up full eligibility
Of the 2015 class you are missing one aren't you? 12+4+6 = 22 not 23.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Having UConn football on your resume is a great conversation piece. Shows potential employers that you had the mental toughness to get through tough times. Yeah, it's nice to get a free education, but not easy waking up at 5:30am to practice for a hopeless cause. And then get ridiculed by the media and fellow students.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry @UConnSN 55m
STAT OF DAY: Of the 2 full recruiting classes Diaco had w/#UConnFootball, only Jay Rose remains. 20-of-21 have transferred from 2016 class

This really isn't a fair analysis. In the 2015 class, what was Edsall to do with Blackwell, Nazir Williams, and John Robinson IV who were disciplinary issues as they were arrested? I think 8/23 (not 4) of the 2015 class were Diaco issues, not Edsall issues: Ryslik, Parker, Blackwell, Battle, Lee, Richardson, Williams, Robinson.

Also, in 2016 class, isn't Skanes still here? I count 12/16 in the 2016 class were at UConn for 4 years which means they all had a fair shot to prove themselves and get playing time.

Reaction Score
This really isn't a fair analysis. In the 2015 class, what was Edsall to do with Blackwell, Nazir Williams, and John Robinson IV who were disciplinary issues as they were arrested? I think 8/23 (not 4) of the 2015 class were Diaco issues, not Edsall issues: Ryslik, Parker, Blackwell, Battle, Lee, Richardson, Williams, Robinson.

Also, in 2016 class, isn't Skanes still here? I count 12/16 in the 2016 class were at UConn for 4 years which means they all had a fair shot to prove themselves and get playing time.

*I knew I should have added a disclaimer that I didn’t check the math or assumptions * ;)

Reaction Score
Once again. dog. At 2am
If you can take it, God bless you. After 20 years of season tickets I really can’t. It’s total madness continuing to extend one ounce of benefit of the doubt to this crew.

Reaction Score
So what do you suggest be done? What would show urgency in your eyes? Staff turnover AGAIN?
Until we get it right, yes. What is the concern? We will lose the rock solid progress made? It’s been marginal at best and irrelevant in outcome.

Reaction Score
Coming out of retirement with peace and love just to comment on this: where are we getting the idea that (1) teams don’t fire coaches after 3 year and (2) no coach would want to go to a program that does that.

this is an honest question. I have seen people post this thought quite a bit but I am not sure where they are getting this idea.

Reaction Score
People talk about all these transfer, without knowing no facts and there reasons.... Nobody knows how hard it is to get into a Masters program in UConn, it is hard and there is competition to get get in. Maybe, these graduates are moving to a place they could get in a masters program or a school that would bend the rules to let them in.
It is hard to gain admission to a Master's program at UConn. But, if you graduate in 4 years and want to play a 5th year of football, I think you have 2 alternatives. 1) Apply for admission to a graduate school. or 2) Continue to take classes in an undergraduate school to get another degree. Realistically, you could take undergraduate classes in the Fall and leave school after the first semester and never complete the second degree. Unfortunately, if you were thinking about getting a Master's degree, option 2 is a waste of your academic time.

Here are the undergraduate grade requirements for Graduate School admission:

Transcripts
Your undergraduate transcripts must show that you have met the following criteria:
  • A cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 for your entire undergraduate career or
  • A grade-point average of at least 3.0 for your last two undergraduate years or
  • Exceptional work in your entire final undergraduate year (3.5 or better).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Hmmm, I heard Coyle was talking about checking out starting about 3 weeks before the season ended. Maybe the staff didn't feel like waiting around for his decision so they made it for him. That said, its a little surprising that the staff would force him out and that if true he hasn't clued us in in some way. The team is not better without him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

FACT....

Reaction Score
Maybe ask the players leaving. I believe they may have made the requirements to get into the Masters program. Diaco recruits did not have academic issues based on the past three seasons. It seems that some of RE recruits may have.
There are many factors to get into grad school, not just grades. The listed grades are a bare minimum. Some of the graduate programs have limited spots as well. Plus, having a 3.0 over your career and graduating in 4 years while playing college football is not easy.

Reaction Score

C'mon, Edsell pushed out the best player on defense? That makes no sense. Coyle appears to be the only one hustling most of the time. Meanwhile, the other DBs are jogging and trying to avoid making real tackles.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have seen it mentioned on a couple of threads and was hoping someone could clarify. I know we currently have the 25 cap, but I’ve read that the NCAA might provide some sort of relief for transfers. Is that insinuating that at some point in the spring the NCAA will allow teams to go over the cap due to all of the transferring ?

Looks like the MAC conference was pushing a proposal to allow for up to 35 in one year, but no more than 50 over two years. Hasnt gone anywhere yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
More to come.
Yeah I’ve heard at least four more names but I really hope none of them happen

i’m hoping they change their minds or it’s fake news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors