Transfer one time 2021 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Transfer one time 2021

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb here, although not very far. There will be one or more recruiting scandals, probably in MBB or football involving shady middlemen making payoffs to top players to transfer. These payoffs will likely be traced back to assistant/head coaches, college boosters and/or shoe companies.

Reaction Score
The rich get richer with this rule.....never thought how this could affect mid major programs as well. Pretty sad , they may as well start a salary structure and pay these players bc the year to year trades/transfers will get absurd IMO.

the real winners of this rule change will be the schools with the deepest pockets. Paying players (or family members) will be the real test of recruiting. No need to concentrate on 5 star players, they don’t always work out. Just watch them play as freshman or sophomores and pay whatever it takes to get the top players into your program.

Reaction Score
Who was the last impact player that UConn lost to transfer? I think we are more likely to be hurt by players leaving for the pros as that becomes more of a norm.

good point but the ease of transfer is also going to make it far more attractive to upper level players...........I do agree that there's a very good chance that UConn loses a few players to the pros as will all of the top tier teams with age eligible players..........of course if UConn wins the next three NCs I won't be quite as disappointed if Bueckers leaves after her junior year.........;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So does this open the possibilities of opposing coaches poaching players from existing schools ? Not like it hasn't been going on behind closed doors , but does this bring Queen Freeze to the thrown ?
So name some WCBB coaches that have actually poached players.

Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb here, although not very far. There will be one or more recruiting scandals, probably in MBB or football involving shady middlemen making payoffs to top players to transfer. These payoffs will likely be traced back to assistant/head coaches, college boosters and/or shoe companies.
You mean sorta like....reality?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You mean sorta like....reality?

Yes, I was reminded of this case when I wrote the post. The difference being that the FBI investigated payoffs to HS recruits. Payoffs to college players to transfer will be a new version of this practice.

Reaction Score
So imagine example a player like Rhyne Howard decides this year shes tired of M. Mitchell she can transfer anywhere and play next season penalty free as a senior ? That's hella crazy

You sound like the baseball owners crying about the Curt Flood decision. As for Ms Howard, if she gets sick of her coach then she should leave. Lots of coaches land 17 year old kids with promises of sunshine and lollipops that they fail to deliver.
I'm sure there will be some more poaching but I think that's been going on for a while, even with a one year sit out rule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Adriacus said, this will allow teams to fill glaring holes immediately on the roster due to injury, graduation or transfer. The smaller non P5 programs may become nothing more than "feeder" schools for the BIG programs, as it will now be harder to hold on to their best players.

The rich get richer with this rule.....never thought how this could affect mid major programs as well. Pretty sad , they may as well start a salary structure and pay these players bc the year to year trades/transfers will get absurd IMO.

good point but the ease of transfer is also going to make it far more attractive to upper level players...........I do agree that there's a very good chance that UConn loses a few players to the pros as will all of the top tier teams with age eligible players..........of course if UConn wins the next three NCs I won't be quite as disappointed if Bueckers leaves after her junior year.........;)

I have to again disagree with this concept of poaching or stacked teams as a result of this rule change for many reasons. The primary reason is that WCBB is a very steep tiered system and the drop off in tiers is drastic. At the start of any given season there is less than a 1/2 dozen teams that have a shot of winning a championship. Those teams are normally always stacked with talent anyway and operating below the scholarship limit. Think of all the McDonalds AA that were not able to see the floor and eventually transferred from UCONN, Baylor, MD, UNC, Texas, etc . UCONN and a handful of schools have had the luxury of never falling below that top tier. There is also a similar steep drop off in talent level for each HS class. Typically the impact players are ranked in the consensus top 25. I'm defining impact players to be one that could start for a top tier school as a Freshman or Sophomore . Sure there are exceptions but a typical starter at a second tier school cannot change the fortunes or plug a hole for a top tier school. Evelyn Adebayo showed us that. A second reason is we have a UCONN biased perspective regarding the importance of winning a championship. This is a well earned bias and one of the reason I'm a fan of this program. It is only at UCONN were we ask incoming freshman how many Championships they expect to win while at UCONN and instantly become dissatisfied with any answer less than 4. For the rest of WCBB and answer of 1 would be considered a high number. If you are a student athlete at a 2nd tier school you would consider the question ridiculous because you know the answer to be zero. In short kids are not going to transfer in mass to top tier schools to help them stack a team and win a championship. Kids want to play not spectate and be cheer leaders. If you don't believe me ask Courtney Ekmark which was more fun sitting and watching two UCONN championships or going to ASU and balling out for two years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You sound like the baseball owners crying about the Curt Flood decision. As for Ms Howard, if she gets sick of her coach then she should leave. Lots of coaches land 17 year old kids with promises of sunshine and lollipops that they fail to deliver.
I'm sure there will be some more poaching but I think that's been going on for a while, even with a one year sit out rule.
I was just giving situations , but ok narrator .

Reaction Score
Another point to consider is that at least some HS athletes signed with programs their parents chose for them. As adult college players they would, for the first time, have the option to go where they wished. I bring up the Britanny Hunter case for example.

I agree that overlooked but talented players on mid-major teams might be targeted by top programs but isn't that better for those players who, if they had to sit for a year, might not even get a chance at big-time wcbb? And at the same time players who get stuck on the bench of a top team would be able to go somewhere where they could play.

Reaction Score

What players that transferred to Baylor said about their reasoning:

Chloe Jackson: left starting role at LSU and would have been a backup at Baylor [came in knowing she wasn’t going to start] but for Alexis Morris making multiple poor decisions and getting kicked out of program and school. Jackson: wanted to play at top level against best teams and play for championship.

Erin Degrate: left sometimes starting role at Texas Tech [heavy rotation minutes when not starting] to come be the 4th post option at Baylor. Degrate: want to play for a championship.

Tea Cooper: left starting role at South Carolina for starting chance at Baylor. Cooper: want to play for a championship.

Jaden Owens: left role as “heir apparent” at point guard at UCLA for chance to compete for playing time at Baylor. Owens: want to compete for championships.

Kamaria McDaniel: left starting role [and star player role] at Penn St. for chance to compete for playing time at Baylor. McDaniel: want to compete for championship.

The #1 comment that each of those players made when asked by media about why they transferred is the chance to play at the highest level and compete for championships. The uniformity of their answers seems to me to be the best evidence of the thinking of many players.

Reaction Score
No way!! Really? :p:p They're already warming up the burner phones.

Reaction Score

Chloe Jackson: left starting role at LSU and would have been a backup at Baylor [came in knowing she wasn’t going to start] but for Alexis Morris making multiple poor decisions and getting kicked out of program and school. Jackson: wanted to play at top level against best teams and play for championship.

Erin Degrate: left sometimes starting role at Texas Tech [heavy rotation minutes when not starting] to come be the 4th post option at Baylor. Degrate: want to play for a championship.

Tea Cooper: left starting role at South Carolina for starting chance at Baylor. Cooper: want to play for a championship.

Jaden Owens: left role as “heir apparent” at point guard at UCLA for chance to compete for playing time at Baylor. Owens: want to compete for championships.

Kamaria McDaniel: left starting role [and star player role] at Penn St. for chance to compete for playing time at Baylor. McDaniel: want to compete for championship.

The #1 comment that each of those players made when asked by media about why they transferred is the chance to play at the highest level and compete for championships. The uniformity of their answers seems to me to be the best evidence of the thinking of many players.
Regarding Cooper, she bailed from Tennessee before getting tossed out for instigating a fight with a teammate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Thank you for endorsing my post in so many ways:
1) As much as it pains me to say it Baylor is a top tier team=always stacked with talent
2) Alexis Morris had to screw up for a player as good as Chloe Jackson to get an opportunity at Baylor. I love Chole but Morris was a McDonalds AA and part of that stacked team.
3) Erin Degrate? Puzzling! Baylor was her 3rd school. She didn't want to win a championship when she enrolled at Louisville?
4) Tea Cooper? Really! So Cooper signed up with South Carolina after they won a Championship and dipped after A'ja Wilson graduated and she wants to win a Championship? BTW Baylor was her 4th school.
5) Jaden Owens? Please keep it real. Owens was outplayed in every conceivable way at UCLA by her fellow freshman Osborne-that is why she left.
6) Kamaria McDaniel has a terrific Junior season at Penn State. Penn State is no longer a top tier WCBB program.

Reaction Score
Thank you for endorsing my post in so many ways:
1) As much as it pains me to say it Baylor is a top tier team=always stacked with talent
2) Alexis Morris had to screw up for a player as good as Chloe Jackson to get an opportunity at Baylor. I love Chole but Morris was a McDonalds AA and part of that stacked team.
3) Erin Degrate? Puzzling! Baylor was her 3rd school. She didn't want to win a championship when she enrolled at Louisville?
4) Tea Cooper? Really! So Cooper signed up with South Carolina after they won a Championship and dipped after A'ja Wilson graduated and she wants to win a Championship? BTW Baylor was her 4th school.
5) Jaden Owens? Please keep it real. Owens was outplayed in every conceivable way at UCLA by her fellow freshman Osborne-that is why she left.
6) Kamaria McDaniel has a terrific Junior season at Penn State. Penn State is no longer a top tier WCBB program.

Though most of the post is confusing, here are some replies:

1. No comment.
2. No idea what the point of that Comment. Jackson transferred to be the backup to Juicy Landrum but became the starting point guard when Morris was kicked off the team.
3. Again, fail to see the point. Degrate signed with Louisville because she wanted to play at a top program. She hated her year there. She transferred to Texas Tech but grew tired of losing, Grad transferred to Baylor even though she knew her playing time would be limited.
4. Again, fail to see any point to that comment. Cooper played at 3 [not 4] top programs. Had her issues at Tennessee and transferred to South Carolina and ultimately to Baylor. She was very animated how important it was to her to play for a championship and the early exits at South Carolina bothered her.
5. Owens and Osborne were not position aligned. Osborne was the starting shooting guard [to the extent that positions are defined on that team]. Owens backed up Dean [the starting point guard and one of the two stars of that team]. Saying that Osborne played more.....yes. Was that an impediment to Owens starting this year.... no.
6. Again, see no point being made.

If you need to read differing opinions as an endorsement of you, have at it. Ultimately, the players‘ statements about why they transferred is public info. They said what they said. You may disagree with them. But since the point is their subjective intent and they have stated their intent, find it hard to think that disagreeing with them makes much sense.

Reaction Score

I think that film has been done. It's called "The coaching career of John Calipari". :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Let’s be real, if Morris stayed at Baylor then Landrum and not Jackson would have probably been a bench player. It’ll be interesting seeing if Owens and Andrews will be able to play together, both players are used to being point guards.

Reaction Score
Let’s be real, if Morris stayed at Baylor then Landrum and not Jackson would have probably been a bench player. It’ll be interesting seeing if Owens and Andrews will be able to play together, both players are used to being point guards.

Zero chance that Jackson would have started over Landrum. Watching Morris & Jackson trying to play D as a starting backcourt would have made Coach Mulkey’s head explode. As it was, hiding Jackson on D was a constant adventure.

Reaction Score
Zero chance that Jackson would have started over Landrum. Watching Morris & Jackson trying to play D as a starting backcourt would have made Coach Mulkey’s head explode. As it was, hiding Jackson on D was a constant adventure.
Both Jackson and Landrum were listed at 5’8, I think you can always go small in the back court when you have 6’4 and 6’7 in the post.

Reaction Score
This might change Geno's strategy with Freshman. If Geno has blue-chippers only playing garbage minutes, I can easily see them leave to get more laying time. As a hypothetical, if Geno only plays 7 & Nika cant get any PT because there are only so many minutes to go around, she could leave to get a starter role. Yes, UConn will get interest, but It works both ways.

Reaction Score
Both Jackson and Landrum were listed at 5’8, I think you can always go small in the back court when you have 6’4 and 6’7 in the post.

Not a size issue. Juicy worked hard to turn herself into a quality defender [her high school team only played zone and she was a terrible defender her freshman year]. Normally see players make big jumps on defensive end between freshman and sophomore years. Juicy did that but also had another big jump between sophomore and junior years. By her junior year, she could really play some D. On the other hand, Jackson.......well......she had a nice jump shot......lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom