Transfer one time 2021 | The Boneyard

Transfer one time 2021

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see just how this rule plays out. Clearly, there will be more transfers. Will coaches change the way they interact with players, specifically with regard to PT, discipline and other factors that influence whether or not a player decides to stay or go?

This will be especially important for reserves. Coaches will almost need to re-recruit their returning players each year. The one thing I would like to see as part of this new rule is that players would have to use their “get out of jail free card” no later than their sophomore season. After 2 years at a school, you should know whether or not you belong there.

Reaction Score
So imagine example a player like Rhyne Howard decides this year shes tired of M. Mitchell she can transfer anywhere and play next season penalty free as a senior ? That's hella crazy

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So imagine example a player like Rhyne Howard decides this year shes tired of M. Mitchell she can transfer anywhere and play next season penalty free as a senior ? That's hella crazy

Is it so easy for a player to jump to a new team and learn new systems and environments? I still think most kids will transfer only if the situation is pretty dreadful.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is it so easy for a player to jump to a new team and learn new systems and environments? I still think most kids will transfer only if the situation is pretty dreadful.
I agree & just don't think you will see mass transfers to stack teams as @WFFL is envisioning. You will continue to see head scratching transfers like Mikesell and Austin (both starters) from Maryland. Both of which I attribute to bad situations & not a desire to stack a team or get more playing time. It also appears for next year and beyond UCONN WCBB roster will be larger than in the past which would limit the ability to add high level impact transfers to the roster.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see just how this rule plays out. Clearly, there will be more transfers. 1) Will coaches change the way they interact with players, specifically with regard to PT, discipline and other factors that influence whether or not a player decides to stay or go?
This will be especially important for reserves. 2) Coaches will almost need to re-recruit their returning players each year. The one thing I would like to see as part of this new rule is that players would have to use their “get out of jail free card” no later than their sophomore season. After 2 years at a school, you should know whether or not you belong there.
1) Yes
2) That's the way it should be. Just like in business/real life. You have to make people want to stay, because you can't make them stay.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
1) Yes
2) That's the way it should be. Just like in business/real life. You have to make people want to stay, because you can't make them stay.
There’s a fine line there. Great players want to be coached hard, but not necessarily Bobby Knight hard. On the other end of the spectrum, will some coaches back off to the point where player development and team discipline breakdown?

Reaction Score
There’s a fine line there. Great players want to be coached hard, but not necessarily Bobby Knight hard. On the other end of the spectrum, will some coaches back off to the point where player development and team discipline breakdown?
Yes, but not the coaches who are going to win anything.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the lingering covid virus might mean players want to stay closer to home now...

Reaction Score

Maybe for basketball, but the vast majority of college sports already go by this rule.

Reaction Score
I doubt this causes a massive influx of transfers. Sure there will be some now that they don’t have to worry about a transfer penalty, but teams would still have to want the transfers and those transfers would have to want the schools interested in them. I do like that it won’t be a decision made behind closed doors for seemingly arbitrary reasons anymore.

Reaction Score
Starting Point: any change which takes subjective decision making choices away from the NCAA is a good thing.

If One Time Transfer works for almost every other sport, why is it bad in a small handful of sports?

Like any rule change, there are winners and losers.

Winners: student athletes. Whether it is a coaching change, playing time, “fit”, academics, or anything else.....why shouldn’t they get one mulligan? If coaches and admins can move on a whim, the players should get at least one move.

Winners: Top 25 programs. Grad Transfer Rule has taught an important lesson...filing even one roster “hole” can change a team’s season.

Winners: competition at the top. More teams without glaring holes in their rosters.

Losers: lower level programs, their recruiting wins, and their player development.

Losers: non Power 5 conferences. Rich will get richer.

Impact: AAU coaches get more power. The ability to “shop” former players after every season is a huge change. Someone will tend to be the broker before top players enter the Transfer Portal. Want to insure a landing spot [for the “not Top Tier” players].

Losers: developing players. The window to show value will get far smaller. If you aren’t playing heavily by your Sophomore year, coaches will be playing younger players in hopes of holding on to them.

Winners: coaches. Take a new job, take your key players with you.

Reaction Score
So does this open the possibilities of opposing coaches poaching players from existing schools ? Not like it hasn't been going on behind closed doors , but does this bring Queen Freeze to the thrown ?

Reaction Score
........the flood gates are open...........I think you're going to see lot's of transfers and some really perplexed college basketball coaches..........even UConn will not be immune to this give and take.....
Who was the last impact player that UConn lost to transfer? I think we are more likely to be hurt by players leaving for the pros as that becomes more of a norm.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Starting Point: any change which takes subjective decision making choices away from the NCAA is a good thing.

If One Time Transfer works for almost every other sport, why is it bad in a small handful of sports?

Like any rule change, there are winners and losers.

Winners: student athletes. Whether it is a coaching change, playing time, “fit”, academics, or anything else.....why shouldn’t they get one mulligan? If coaches and admins can move on a whim, the players should get at least one move.

Winners: Top 25 programs. Grad Transfer Rule has taught an important lesson...filing even one roster “hole” can change a team’s season.

Winners: competition at the top. More teams without glaring holes in their rosters.

Losers: lower level programs, their recruiting wins, and their player development.

Losers: non Power 5 conferences. Rich will get richer.

Impact: AAU coaches get more power. The ability to “shop” former players after every season is a huge change. Someone will tend to be the broker before top players enter the Transfer Portal. Want to insure a landing spot [for the “not Top Tier” players].

Losers: developing players. The window to show value will get far smaller. If you aren’t playing heavily by your Sophomore year, coaches will be playing younger players in hopes of holding on to them.

Winners: coaches. Take a new job, take your key players with you.

Very well written. Agree on all of your points.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So does this open the possibilities of opposing coaches poaching players from existing schools ? Not like it hasn't been going on behind closed doors , but does this bring Queen Freeze to the thrown ?

As Adriacus said, this will allow teams to fill glaring holes immediately on the roster due to injury, graduation or transfer. The smaller non P5 programs may become nothing more than "feeder" schools for the BIG programs, as it will now be harder to hold on to their best players.

This WILL change how many coaches treat their players. As Oldude said, many coaches will have to "re-recruit" their returning players at the end of the season to prevent/curb possible flight. I can see down the road this thing will cause the rich to get richer. I wholeheartedly agree with OD that this transfer rule should apply to players that have finished their freshman and sophomore seasons only. You should know after two years whether you chose the right program or not.

The top 15 schools will become even more powerful and stronger (especially the top 5) as good players from other programs wish to transfer in, and play for a winner and possibly a championship. What about the reserve players sitting on the bench waiting for their turn for more playing time, and a transfer comes in and jumps in front of them on the depth chart? :mad:

I can also see some potential "poaching" and undercover third party tampering going on. :confused: Now, if a coach leaves for a better position, they can take their best players with them. What if a coach wants to take his 4 best players with him/her? That would decimate the other team, and set them back 2-3 years. In a case of that nature, only 1 player should be allowed to go with the departing coach.

I can see some mid-major coaches crying already, knowing they could very well lose their best players to higher profile programs in a blink, and their program becoming nothing more than a "feeder" program for the 25 schools in the country. There will be tampering!

There will be no replacing those lost players with other players of comparable skill and talent. All the good ones will either be already transferred to other schools, or firmly planted in their respective programs. :( It will be a new day in Division 1 men's/women's college basketball, the likes of which we have never seen. .

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

In a word.................YES! ;)

Reaction Score
In a word.................YES! ;)
The rich get richer with this rule.....never thought how this could affect mid major programs as well. Pretty sad , they may as well start a salary structure and pay these players bc the year to year trades/transfers will get absurd IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom