1586523256457.png

Reaction Score
If this is the case, I could see us starting:
PG: Cole
SG: Bouknight
SF: Jackson
PF: Martin
C: Whaley

That gives us great guard play, length/athleticism/defense on the wings and then Whaley in the middle.

Reaction Score

That gives us great guard play, length/athleticism/defense on the wings and then Whaley in the middle.

I would probably have Gaffney starting and Jackson off the bench, but that's as good a lineup -- and depth, with Brendan Adams, and Polley working his way back -- at the 1 through 4 that we've had since 2016, but with better toughness and coaching.

Reaction Score
I would probably have Gaffney starting and Jackson off the bench, but that's as good a lineup -- and depth, with Brendan Adams, and Polley working his way back -- at the 1 through 4 that we've had since 2016, but with better toughness and coaching.

You know I thought that too at first but then I remembered how bad our defense would be. Cole, Gaffney, and Bouknight are all going to be great offensively but none are good on defense (at least yet). We’d also be slightly undersized with 3 starters under 6’5. Having Jackson and Martin start along with Cole and Bouknight solves the defense issue and also gives us better size. In that case I like Gaffney as the first guard off the bench, Adams as the first wing.

Reaction Score

I don't think we would start Martin at the 4. I would think Whaley and Carlton would start unless we bring another big man in who is better. I like the lineup though.

Reaction Score
I don't think we would start Martin at the 4. I would think Whaley and Carlton would start unless we bring another big man in who is better. I like the lineup though.

Ok, maybe that would be the end of game lineup then. To me, Whaley + Carlton is a bad front court combo. Neither are great on offense so it’s like playing down a man and a half on the offensive end. Whaley needs to either play the 4 with an offensive 5 or the 5 to allow one of our big guards to play the 4.

Reaction Score
Ok, maybe that would be the end of game lineup then. To me, Whaley + Carlton is a bad front court combo. Neither are great on offense so it’s like playing down a man and a half on the offensive end. Whaley needs to either play the 4 with an offensive 5 or the 5 to allow one of our big guards to play the 4.
Yeah I don't know why so many people want to see Whaley and Carlton at the 4 and 5. It's a lineup that doesn't work

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't know why so many people want to see Whaley and Carlton at the 4 and 5. It's a lineup that doesn't work
I think people are hoping for end of Soph season Josh as opposed to super-sized Josh. I expect you will see him with less bulk and more mobility. Whaley is the feel good story from last season. He was buried on the depth chart but he kept his head and bidded his time. He got a shot and ran with it and did made us a better team. HE's a hard guy not to root for.

But I just reread your post and I think you are talking about playing them at them same time. It may happen but not for long stretches.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I’ve been to about 2/3 of the URI home games last couple years, Martin is not a 4 man. He is a wing. Still, he is now likely our 6th man and he will help this team drastically with his shooting and scoring abilities

Reaction Score
I’ve been to about 2/3 of the URI home games last couple years, Martin is not a 4 man. He is a wing. Still, he is now likely our 6th man and he will help this team drastically with his shooting and scoring abilities

I’d consider him a 4 in Hurley’s “positionless” system. Essentially Cole + Bouknight as guards, Jackson + Martin as wings, Whaley as the big.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I’d consider him a 4 in Hurley’s “positionless” system. Essentially Cole + Bouknight as guards, Jackson + Martin as wings, Whaley as the big.

could see some of that lineup, but you’re crazy if you think Carlton isn’t starting.

Also pretty hysterical that you went from trashing Martin last weekend to putting him in your starting lineup lol

Reaction Score
could see some of that lineup, but you’re crazy if you think Carlton isn’t starting.

Also pretty hysterical that you went from trashing Martin last weekend to putting him in your starting lineup lol
Interesting because I think it's crazy to assume Carlton will start. Only reason he started at the end of the year, in my opinion, is Hurley didn't want to crush his confidence. If he's starting again next year then he's vastly improved this offseason to truly earn it. The Josh we saw at the end of this season would not be starting for us next year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think people are hoping for end of Soph season Josh as opposed to super-sized Josh. I expect you will see him with less bulk and more mobility. Whaley is the feel good story from last season. He was buried on the depth chart but he kept his head and bidded his time. He got a shot and ran with it and did made us a better team. HE's a hard guy not to root for.

But I just reread your post and I think you are talking about playing them at them same time. It may happen but not for long stretches.

I think we are maybe too high on Whaley as our center. A year ago we all thought Josh would be tremendous and he wasn't. I am not sold that Whaley can be our starting center. I'm happy to have him start at the 4 and fill in at the 5 now and then.

Best case we get Sanogo and can really move Whaley to the 4 for good. If not, I think Josh starts but we see a lot of Springs with Whaley. Springs as the defensive 5 and offensive 4, with the reverse for Whaley. I do not see Martin as a 4. I think he'll be our starting 3 over Jackson.

5 Josh [Springs, Javonte Brown Ferguson]
4 Whaley [Springs, Polley]
3 Martin [Jackson, Adams, Polley]
2 Bouk [Gaffney, Adams]
1 Cole [Gaffney]

Reaction Score

My biggest reasoning was I didn’t think he was good enough to take a scholarship on this years team to sit out when we have holes to fill. But that’s over. No more complaining. Hurley gave him a scholarship so I’m behind him 100%. I think he fills a need on this years team at the 3 and stretch 4.

Reaction Score
Any word on springs from people that saw towards the end of season? I just have a weird gut feeling he’s going to contribute

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we are maybe too high on Whaley as our center. A year ago we all thought Josh would be tremendous and he wasn't. I am not sold that Whaley can be our starting center. I'm happy to have him start at the 4 and fill in at the 5 now and then.

Best case we get Sanogo and can really move Whaley to the 4 for good. If not, I think Josh starts but we see a lot of Springs with Whaley. Springs as the defensive 5 and offensive 4, with the reverse for Whaley. I do not see Martin as a 4. I think he'll be our starting 3 over Jackson.

2 Bouk [Gaffney, Adams]
1 Cole [Gaffney]
I'd love to get Sanogo, but I've learned to have a healthy does of skepticism about freshman as impact players. It is rare that it happens, especially early in the season.

I don't love Whaley at the 5 but Hurley figured out how to use his mobility and B.B.I.Q. to our advantage. Watching him hedge and recover was a blast last season.

Bottom line: We are likely to be a ‘center by committee’ team next season. The good news is we have a lot depth. The bad news is the bulk of it is unproven. Sanogo would go a long way to helping us but I'm also curious about how much Springs developed last year. I think most people are forgetting about him. I'm not at all confident about Javonte Brown Ferguson. I think he will be a good player for us, in time, but he'll need time to adjust to the college game and to grow into his frame.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't help but wonder if Nolley is waiting on a final ruling here before choosing a school. He definitely doesn't want to sit out a year, and the only school he could go to and likely receive a waiver is UGA, which doesn't seem to be a top choice for him. You'd like to think the NCAA could make up it's mind a little sooner than this, but here we are.

Sanogo is still my, and I'm sure the staff's, first choice for the last scholarship. But if we don't get him, I'd love to pursue Nolley again. All signs indicated that he was very interested in UConn prior to the transfer rule uncertainty. If allowed to play right away, I'd still love to bring him in even after getting Martin. At 6'7", he is a more realistic option to start at the 4 than Martin. There's definitely some overlap, but to me Nolley is more of a 3/4 for us while Martin is more of a 2/3 (who could play a small ball 4 in a pinch).

Reaction Score

Yeah I'm only talking about them both on the court at the same time. Want them both getting ~20 minutes at the 5. Probably means you have to play Whaley at the 4 for a few minutes to get him more time but anything beyond severely limits the offense

Reaction Score
Any word on springs from people that saw towards the end of season? I just have a weird gut feeling he’s going to contribute
This is second hand info and goes back to Springs high school days but one my friends is a UMass grad and went to see both Bouk and Springs quite a bit when they were at MacDuffie school here in Mass. He has told me a few times now that we are VERY lucky to have Springs playing as a Husky. He said that once he gets used to the speed and physicality of the college game we will have quite a player in our program. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him and he will definitely have an impact next year and going forward. Very excited with the way our roster is shaping up

Reaction Score
If the no sit out transfer rule does pass, an added bonus is how perfectly balanced our roster would be from an eligibility/scholarship perspective.

3 seniors (Whaley, Polley, Carlton)
3 juniors (Cole, Adams, Martin)
3 sophomores (Bouknight, Gaffney, Akok)
3 freshmen (Springs, Jackson, Brown-Ferguson)

1 open spot TBD. Nice to have and gives us some good flexibility going forward.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
bassball and basketball have the same transfer rules so this would also apply to basketball. Apparently Hurley knows something we didn’t. This means we just one quality player. Don’t need Sanago. Tyrese fills a lot of needs. Being in great shape with Nolley helps a lot.
I that’s the case I see us playing small. Cole, Gaff, Bouk, Martin/Jackson, Whaley. Big East aint the big ten there aren’t many teams that push you around inside.
What the heck else are these council member doofuses doing that they couldn’t have a 1st meeting within the next few days and vote on it within a week? I’m sure that their schedules are no busier and most likely more flexible.

If it’s likely to pass based on insider word of mouth, just get off your collective duffs, set up a Zoom meeting and do something productive to help the student athletes and college coaches! FFS NCAA is such a clown show.
Its in nobodies interest to drag this decision out. Have the meeting ASAP or put out a clear signal as to which way you’re going to go.

C

Chief00

I believe Sanogo willl commit before he reclassifies. If he’s doing his visits now, I don’t think he’ll wait another month and a half to commit. But as you said it’s moot because we may take Sanogo over Nolley regardless of timing
Everything possible is being done. Hurley and staff give maximum effort.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Everything possible is being done. Hurley and staff give maximum effort.
Sanogo and Whaley would be the dirtiest front court in the Big East.

C

Chief00

2 Bouk [Gaffney, Adams]
1 Cole [Gaffney]
I agree, Whaley does best when the other team doesn‘t have a post threat. He can switch and cover smaller guys and is active on the boards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom