Tourney Expansion | The Boneyard

Tourney Expansion

Reaction Score
Shocking to me as well, especially P5 coaches like Self and Larranaga.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It's a toss up with the coaches because it is currently a resume builder for low/mid-major program developers. It's huge for them in interviews to show that they can make the Tournament. OTOH, The downside of expanding the field is watering down this specific criterion.

The size of the field is near perfect as it is.

Reaction Score
Exactly. When I read that article on ESPN my first reaction was "no, no, no, no, aaaannnd no" I wish the powers that be would stop screwing with this. If they decided to expand I would like to see just 4 or 6 more teams and they would go to mid majors that won their regular season but lost in their conference tournaments. Those teams can be in more play in games. It would make Tuesday and Wednesday more exciting for sure.

But overall, I don't want any change.

Reaction Score
No matter how many teams you have, you will always have a "First Four Out" whining.
exactly. That conversation will never end even if the field was expanded to 128 teams or really any number you think of.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Most coaches will want it to expand because coaches get fired for not making it.

But if it expands, and the motivation behind it, is so that the power conferences can send more schools and mop up more of the revenue. If anyone thinks this is all about getting an extra A10 school into the field, it ain’t.

Reaction Score
Most coaches will want it to expand because coaches get fired for not making it.

But if it expands, and the motivation behind it, is so that the power conferences can send more schools and mop up more of the revenue. If anyone thinks this is all about getting an extra A10 school into the field, it ain’t.
Exactly. There are contract incentives with making the NCAAT. The coaches that are supporting this are doing it out of self interest. It doesn't make them bad people, but it also means they are looking out more themselves that interest of the sport.

I am glad Dan Hurley is against expansion and so is Tom Izzo.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
when the ncaa tournament expanded to 64 teams there were 283 DI programs.

there are now 363 DI programs, so keep the percentage the same the ncaa tournament needs 81 teams.

expansion in inevitable. surprised fans of a mid majors like the big east aren't in favor. theres a better chance for any of your church league members to get in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

there are now 363 DI programs, so keep the percentage the same the ncaa tournament needs 81 teams.

expansion in inevitable. surprised fans of a mid majors like the big east aren't in favor. theres a better chance for any of your church league members to get in.

Expansion isn’t for those newer D1 programs - they won’t be invited. It’s not even for mid programs like Cincy who expect to make a tourney every three or four years.

It’s more for the bottom third of the SEC and Big Ten.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Cincy has no chance in the Big 12 even if they went to 128 teams.

Reaction Score

The church league dominates this tournament, while the team you root for can't even qualify

Its really bizarre you keep going down this path.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Its really bizarre you keep going down this path.
It's sad really, seeing the deterioration of a sports fan in real time. Once he rooted proudly for his team; now he's reduced to throwing pathetic shade and cheering for the conference, like a S. Carolina fan. Main difference being Gamecock fans are friendlier.

Reaction Score

IMG_3094.gif

Reaction Score
This is more "participation trophy ", watered down, BS. 68 teams is plenty. Its competitive and there is parity. There is absolutely no need to add any more almost maybes to the dance. Like others have alluded to, it's a money grab by the big conference teams who barely miss. Nah. It's fine.

Reaction Score
I like the tournament the way it is, but here are a few reasons to like expansion:
  • Watching UConn become the first 18 seed to win the tournament. Resulting, of course in Syracuse, Kentucky, Kansas fans yelling "They get so lucky in the tournament... that whole bracket just opened up for them! Almost all of their 8 championships are garbage."
  • Watching the 20 seed low major automatic qualifier beat Purdue in the first round.
  • Watching Rutgers fans complain about being the first team out after beating number 1 Purdue in the regular season (but finishing below 500 in the Big 10 and playing the 350th ranked out of conference schedule).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree, It just makes the regular season more meaningless.
I don't agree with this sentiment. Currently, every result is analyzed with a fine-toothed comb for seeding and eligibility purposes. Every game is meaningful. Now if you're saying meaningless because UConn is lock to make the Dance, I still disagree; it wasn't so long ago when UConn wasn't a lock.

Reaction Score
They should go back to 64 teams instead. Or make the play-in games entirely at-large bid teams. The AQ shouldn't have to be a play-in
I agree, but the problem is it's the AQ teams who fight to keep them in those Dayton play in games so they actually have a chance at getting tourney credits for wins

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this sentiment. Currently, every result is analyzed with a fine-toothed comb for seeding and eligibility purposes. Every game is meaningful. Now if you're saying meaningless because UConn is lock to make the Dance, I still disagree; it wasn't so long ago when UConn wasn't a lock.
I mean it would make losing in the regular season that much more acceptable which to me necessarily makes it less meaningful

If they want to expand it, they should just add more play-in games. Every bracket has 4 play-in games. Boom, 96. That way the 85th-ish + percentile teams will still fight for seeding and more teams can fight their way in despite not being that good

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom