Tourney Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tourney Expansion

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this sentiment. Currently, every result is analyzed with a fine-toothed comb for seeding and eligibility purposes. Every game is meaningful. Now if you're saying meaningless because UConn is lock to make the Dance, I still disagree; it wasn't so long ago when UConn wasn't a lock.

It would absolutely make the regular season less meaningful. Take it to an extreme, if every team made the tournament what kind of regular season would you have? Now work your way back from that extreme by gradually eliminating teams, as you eliminate the bottom teams the regular season becomes more meaningful.

Reaction Score
Currently, every result is analyzed with a fine-toothed comb for seeding and eligibility purposes. Every game is meaningful.

Exactly, and let's keep it that way.

I know they won't, they will expand for more money. I'm half surprised they don't make the final round a round robin double elimination like baseball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, but the problem is it's the AQ teams who fight to keep them in those Dayton play in games so they actually have a chance at getting tourney credits for wins
I didn’t even think about that. Good point

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The tournament was best at 64 teams. The NCAA tournament does not need to expand. Division 1 needs to shrink. I’m not anti-small school but there are too many of them.

There are 80 schools in the Big 6 (basketball’s rich).

There are 70 schools in the mid-major leagues (basketball’s middle class: AAC, A-10, WCC, MVC, MW, C-USA).

There are 212 schools in the rest of Division 1 (basketball poors).

If that last number were closer to 100-125, the regular season in college basketball would be a lot better, and lot of Division 2 schools could stop masquerading as Division 1.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
when the ncaa tournament expanded to 64 teams there were 283 DI programs.

there are now 363 DI programs, so keep the percentage the same the ncaa tournament needs 81 teams.

expansion in inevitable. surprised fans of a mid majors like the big east aren't in favor. theres a better chance for any of your church league members to get in.
The real question is, where does Mick stand on the issue? Prob doesn’t affect his 1 and 2 seeds, right?

Reaction Score

I think it's good where it is. Very surprised it's a toss up with coaches.
Heck, lets just put in every single team with a winning record. Lets throw in a couple of High School teams and the top two womens team.

Reaction Score
The real question is, where does Mick stand on the issue? Prob doesn’t affect his 1 and 2 seeds, right?
I wonder if Kobe runs around talking about how his brother can beat anybody up????

Reaction Score
If it helps the haves, they will do it.

If it helps the have nots, they won't

Reaction Score
I would give each conference 2 automatic bids. 1 for the regular season champ and 1 for the conference champ. If the same team wins both, the 2nd bid goes into a pool for at large teams. That gets you to 64. Make it hard to make the NCAA tournament. Make it a tournament of winners, not also ran. That would also make the regular season actually mean something and make the league tournaments meaningful too.

Reaction Score
All teams that win an automatic bid, no matter what conference, shouldn't play until the round of 64. Let the kids have their moment in the spotlight. If hey want to send 10 teams from a conference... let the last two in each be in the play in games.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I would give each conference 2 automatic bids. 1 for the regular season champ and 1 for the conference champ. If the same team wins both, the 2nd bid goes into a pool for at large teams. That gets you to 64. Make it hard to make the NCAA tournament. Make it a tournament of winners, not also ran. That would also make the regular season actually mean something and make the league tournaments meaningful too.
This dissuades teams from winning their conference tournament if they win the regular season so that another team from their league gets in as well. Conferences would game this. Instead, if a team wins both, the other bid would go to the 2nd place regular season team.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That being said, the tournament should go back to 64 and Division 1 should shrink.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

there are now 363 DI programs, so keep the percentage the same the ncaa tournament needs 81 teams.

expansion in inevitable. surprised fans of a mid majors like the big east aren't in favor. theres a better chance for any of your church league members to get in.
I’m with you and behind expansion because I would prefer to call you Kobe64 instead of kobe32. Because really that would be the net result of expansion. For Cute providence too.

Reaction Score
NCAA Tournament expansion "is not imminent".

An expansion of the NCAA Tournament field "is not imminent," according to a Thursday statement from the NCAA following a three-day meeting of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. However, a potential enlargement of the 68-team field remains on the table following a January recommendation from the Division I Transformation Committee that NCAA sports consider expanding their postseasons.

Reaction Score
Exactly. When I read that article on ESPN my first reaction was "no, no, no, no, aaaannnd no" I wish the powers that be would stop screwing with this. If they decided to expand I would like to see just 4 or 6 more teams and they would go to mid majors that won their regular season but lost in their conference tournaments. Those teams can be in more play in games. It would make Tuesday and Wednesday more exciting for sure.

But overall, I don't want any change.
100% It's like that guy who always has to doctor up an already good sauce. Just leave it alone.

Reaction Score
This dissuades teams from winning their conference tournament if they win the regular season so that another team from their league gets in as well. Conferences would game this. Instead, if a team wins both, the other bid would go to the 2nd place regular season team.
Sure it is open to adjustments. I want to make the regular season the most important. Honestly if it were up to me, I would eliminate the league tournaments and give a bid to the regular season champ. Then Maybe add a week to the season. Then take a bunch of at large teams and make them play in if you want.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
NCAA Tournament expansion "is not imminent".

An expansion of the NCAA Tournament field "is not imminent," according to a Thursday statement from the NCAA following a three-day meeting of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Committee. However, a potential enlargement of the 68-team field remains on the table following a January recommendation from the Division I Transformation Committee that NCAA sports consider expanding their postseasons.

I really want to believe this. But I feel like when it comes to sports, any time someone says something “is not imminent” or something to that sentiment (“we’re still committed to him as our coach”, “we’re committed to the BIG PAC ACC alliance”) it almost always is a smoke screen lmao

Reaction Score
Yeah "is not imminent" means "at the start of the next TV contract", so in 2032 probably.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Especially when "mid majors" like Villanova and Uconn keep winning the tournament.

Reaction Score
All this changing in sports is starting to get water down. Like this in college adding more teams to the tournament. The NBA switch to players pick for the All-Star game. Liked it better east vs west. This year they will crown a championship before the actual playoffs start

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom