Tough week for the Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tough week for the Huskies

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
There has been great optimism here on the BY and elsewhere as the Huskies approach this coming season with the hope and expectation that it will end with a 12th national championship. But this past week served as a speed-bump in the road for many Husky fans. Time will tell whether the events of this past week are significant or not.

The de-commitment of Charli Collier is troubling for a number of reasons beyond the fact that she was a talented and much needed post player. Whatever her reasons, Collier’s decision to de-commit continues a disturbing trend for UConn to lose out on some of the top posts in the country. More concerning was her decision to de-commit during her senior year of high-school. Perhaps long-time BY’ers may recall, but I cannot remember any such occurrence happening before. The closest similar event, and obviously even more painful, was when EDD backed out of her commitment after signing her LOI and showing up on campus for summer classes.

Finally, the timing of Collier’s decision couldn’t be worse. Most top players have already committed. Yes, ONO is still out there, and hopefully the Huskies can persuade her to head north to Storrs, but if the Huskies lose out on ONO, it creates a situation where UConn may be without a true post player in 2018-19 if Z opts for the pros, or possibly a freshmen post player in 2019-20, assuming the Huskies get someone like Boston, and Z stays for two more seasons. While this past season was a phenomenal effort, the lack of a true post player was a significant factor in UConn’s loss to MS St in the national semifinals. It is so much easier to win championships when you have someone like Rebecca, Asjha, Tina, Steph or Stewie in the paint.

The second and even more disturbing event involves the budget crisis in the state of CT which, like too many issues in our society, has become mired in political brinksmanship. While Geno’s offer to coach for free is truly noble, I worry about the long-term impact of these political machinations on UConn in general and Geno in particular. Major cuts in academic programs, capital budgets and athletic programs will eventually take their toll on WBB as well.

A for Geno, while he is one tough Italian from Norristown, PA, I cannot help but wonder if at some point the political nonsense will lead him to make that fateful decision to step down. I have always felt that so long as Geno can just coach basketball, play golf and eat at his favorite Italian restaurants, he just might coach forever, or at least as long as he’s healthy. Geno is at a point in his life where he is financially secure and his achievements are unparalleled. Does he really need to deal with this crap?

The next few seasons should be great ones for Husky fans. After that, I truly hope that my concerns are ill-placed and there will be many more great seasons to come for UConn WBB. Time will tell.

You buried the lead, Old Dude. While some Uriah Heep (the Dickens character, not the band) hand wringing may be appropriate for the program's long-range vitality, this season's team should be highly successful and a delight to watch. Enjoy the moment, try not to look too far ahead and trust in Geno.

Remember, Geno isn't the best coach because he gets the best players; the best players come to UConn because Geno is the best coach. We'll get our share and he'll get the most out of them.

Hang in there. It's likely the UConn dynasty will outlive both of us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hang in there. It's likely the UConn dynasty will outlive both of us.
GH, the dynasty may outlive you, but I'm planning on living until I'm 110 or so. :rolleyes:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
CA is great. What with all the earthquakes, wildfires and droughts, why would you ever want to live anywhere else? :rolleyes:

I don't know what is worse though, hurricanes, tornadoes, budget restraints :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
GH, the dynasty may outlive you, but I'm planning on living until I'm 110 or so. :rolleyes:
Unless you are older than I think you are, the Uconn players who will be voted AA the year you turn 110 have not been born yet. (smile)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Will bet a hamburger that A Stevens stays 2 years.
wimpy.jpg

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score

Let me know when that happens and I'll take you out for some donuts and coffee.....or some 30-year-old single malt. Your choice. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting analysis - I wonder if adding a high profile ass't coach with a fairly recent pro background in the post would help with the situation. I guess CD coaches the post players (?) and I'm not suggesting she go anywhere as there's no Geno without CD. Maybe bring one in as a graduate assistant or recruiting coordinator or whatever?
CD and Marissa work with the UCONN post players. I would be violently opposed to any changes to the staff in this area.

How you gonna upgrade me?
What higher than number one?

.................................................. Jay-Z

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I don't live in Connecticut now and am not up on on the details of the state's budget woes and how they might impact the University in general and the Huskies specifically.

However, I would offer two observations/opinions:

1) In general, I believe college athletics tend to be immune from the overall budget problems that the university may have. In large part, perhaps, because of the amount of revenue that sport's generates for schools (and yes, now I wish more than ever that we were in a P5 conference), and to a lesser extent due to the donations and sponsorship programs receive from alumni. Scott Walker decimated the University of Wisconsin system, both in terms of budget cuts and messing with the University's core values and mission statement, which led to an unprecedented number of faculty leaving the school. The impact on the school's athletics? Zero. Still strong in football, men and women's hockey, volleyball, crew, and men's basketball.

2) I don't believe very many high school students and their parents, when pondering scholarship offers, take into much consideration the state of the prospective school's budget. Depending on their circumstances, they may place athletics above academics or vice versa, but so long as a college has the athletic and/or academic opportunities a student wants, and he/she is comfortable with the coaching staff, that likely covers 95% of the decision making process.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
My father lived to 95 and my mother is 102 so bet on me being around to attend your 110th birthday...and celebrate another UConn national championship. Live long and prosper, Old Dude.

Reaction Score
Sobering but apposite remarks, oldude. Been thinking along the same lines--not as thoughtfully or eloquently--but hesitated to put them "on paper." I do think the budget crisis could well affect recruiting in the future, as it creates uncertainty generally and is easy for opposing coaches to use in talking with recruits' parents. Collier's decision, however, may well be a question of personal family dynamics, but the timing for UConn is quite unfortunate. If UConn doesn't recruit a true post for next year, it may challenge the team to use Batouly and Kyla creatively during the interim. As you say, not optimal by any means, to be height challenged.

We can't predict how this will play in Geno's mind (Geno probably can't either). I think/hope he's savvy enough to appreciate that: 1. the potential budgetary cuts to UConn might be savage but won't cut at the heart of the university and won't make it worse than it was (say) 10 years ago; 2. that if he walks away from his next rebuilding challenge he is leaving a huge part of his life behind. I think/hope he realizes that if he retires he's bailing on a university that gave him his chance, and, rather, now he has the opportunity to really use his bully-pulpit to rally behind UConn.

But whatever, I'm especially glad to have season tickets this year to enjoy every minute of what's in front of us.
I am hoping that your views represent an over-reaction to an issue that is not there. I always carried a degree of shock about Collier's early commitment to UCONN. The shock being due to the fact that she is from Texas, and there is so much pressure for a talented ( game changing) player to remain in Texas. All her friends and family are there. The state is rabid about their home grown talent. The University of Texas and Baylor can appear amazingly desirable to a local player. And Texas, in particular, is building a recruiting a monster team. It is one thing for someone like Maya Moore to leave Georgia , where there is no viable national champion women's team available locally, but quite another for a player from Texas to depart Texas.

I think it was an amazing thing when Moriah came here and honored her conviction to play for UCONN. I always felt pleased, but insecure, about Collier. The larger issue is the state of Connecticut's finances and some possible impact on Geno's enjoyment of his position. As long as he remains an enthusiastic coach at UCONN, the team will do well with whatever talent they are able to attract. Once he retires, the entire game will change for UCONN.

We have to enjoy the ride. But, like everything, the end of the road approaches.

Reaction Score
CA is great. What with all the earthquakes, wildfires and droughts, why would you ever want to live anywhere else? :rolleyes:

To say nothing of out-of-sight real estate prices, a bankrupt treasury, uber political correctness (wait a minute, sounds like CT!), mudslides,
and the Kardashians. To be fair, the state does have the Warriors and Stanford though.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
To say nothing of out-of-sight real estate prices, a bankrupt treasury, uber political correctness (wait a minute, sounds like CT!), mudslides,
and the Kardashians. To be fair, the state does have the Warriors and Stanford though.

You forgot smog, traffic and gangs. But all of that is in LA. We San Diegans consider that another universe that, like you, we mock with delightful frequency. LA has many professional sports teams, too. Here, we have none. (Yes, I know the Padres play in San Diego). In San Diego people like to play sports more than watch them. That could account for all the beautiful, fit women but I'm too old to remember.

Hey, Old Dude, didn't you say you live north of Albany? What'd you do, lose a bet? Difficult to imagine but I've actually gone full calendar years without having to use either my heat or my air conditioning.

But we don't have the Huskies so I guess we're even. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hey, Old Dude, didn't you say you live north of Albany? What'd you do, lose a bet? :)
Yes, I lost a bet with my wife on where we would retire. I was pushing for FL and she wanted Saratoga Springs, NY. Well, at least it's beautiful up here half the year and we don't have to deal with hurricanes. :cool:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Yes, I lost a bet with my wife on where we would retire. I was pushing for FL and she wanted Saratoga Springs, NY. Well, at least it's beautiful up here half the year and we don't have to deal with hurricanes. :cool:
I hope you visit the racetrack occasionally, as well. Legendary sportswriter Joe Palmer's directions to the track: "Turn left at Albany and head back 100 years." Best horse racing in the world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom