Tough week for the Huskies | The Boneyard

Tough week for the Huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There has been great optimism here on the BY and elsewhere as the Huskies approach this coming season with the hope and expectation that it will end with a 12th national championship. But this past week served as a speed-bump in the road for many Husky fans. Time will tell whether the events of this past week are significant or not.

The de-commitment of Charli Collier is troubling for a number of reasons beyond the fact that she was a talented and much needed post player. Whatever her reasons, Collier’s decision to de-commit continues a disturbing trend for UConn to lose out on some of the top posts in the country. More concerning was her decision to de-commit during her senior year of high-school. Perhaps long-time BY’ers may recall, but I cannot remember any such occurrence happening before. The closest similar event, and obviously even more painful, was when EDD backed out of her commitment after signing her LOI and showing up on campus for summer classes.

Finally, the timing of Collier’s decision couldn’t be worse. Most top players have already committed. Yes, ONO is still out there, and hopefully the Huskies can persuade her to head north to Storrs, but if the Huskies lose out on ONO, it creates a situation where UConn may be without a true post player in 2018-19 if Z opts for the pros, or possibly a freshmen post player in 2019-20, assuming the Huskies get someone like Boston, and Z stays for two more seasons. While this past season was a phenomenal effort, the lack of a true post player was a significant factor in UConn’s loss to MS St in the national semifinals. It is so much easier to win championships when you have someone like Rebecca, Asjha, Tina, Steph or Stewie in the paint.

The second and even more disturbing event involves the budget crisis in the state of CT which, like too many issues in our society, has become mired in political brinksmanship. While Geno’s offer to coach for free is truly noble, I worry about the long-term impact of these political machinations on UConn in general and Geno in particular. Major cuts in academic programs, capital budgets and athletic programs will eventually take their toll on WBB as well.

A for Geno, while he is one tough Italian from Norristown, PA, I cannot help but wonder if at some point the political nonsense will lead him to make that fateful decision to step down. I have always felt that so long as Geno can just coach basketball, play golf and eat at his favorite Italian restaurants, he just might coach forever, or at least as long as he’s healthy. Geno is at a point in his life where he is financially secure and his achievements are unparalleled. Does he really need to deal with this crap?

The next few seasons should be great ones for Husky fans. After that, I truly hope that my concerns are ill-placed and there will be many more great seasons to come for UConn WBB. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Sobering but apposite remarks, oldude. Been thinking along the same lines--not as thoughtfully or eloquently--but hesitated to put them "on paper." I do think the budget crisis could well affect recruiting in the future, as it creates uncertainty generally and is easy for opposing coaches to use in talking with recruits' parents. Collier's decision, however, may well be a question of personal family dynamics, but the timing for UConn is quite unfortunate. If UConn doesn't recruit a true post for next year, it may challenge the team to use Batouly and Kyla creatively during the interim. As you say, not optimal by any means, to be height challenged.

We can't predict how this will play in Geno's mind (Geno probably can't either). I think/hope he's savvy enough to appreciate that: 1. the potential budgetary cuts to UConn might be savage but won't cut at the heart of the university and won't make it worse than it was (say) 10 years ago; 2. that if he walks away from his next rebuilding challenge he is leaving a huge part of his life behind. I think/hope he realizes that if he retires he's bailing on a university that gave him his chance, and, rather, now he has the opportunity to really use his bully-pulpit to rally behind UConn.

But whatever, I'm especially glad to have season tickets this year to enjoy every minute of what's in front of us.

Reaction Score
Geno and UConn are on their own private perch in the WCBB world and whenever Geno chooses to retire that will end. The program will be on the same level as all the rest of the top tier programs. There's simply only one Geno Auriemma and I doubt if WCBB will see another for many, many years, if at all. Sooo, we can enjoy it as long as it lasts, but it won't be budget cuts or any other BS that brings the program down a notch, it will simply be that Geno isn't there anymore.

Reaction Score
Geno and UConn are on their own private perch in the WCBB world and whenever Geno chooses to retire that will end. The program will be on the same level as all the rest of the top tier programs. There's simply only one Geno Auriemma and I doubt if WCBB will see another for many, many years, if at all. Sooo, we can enjoy it as long as it lasts, but it won't be budget cuts or any other BS that brings the program down a notch, it will simply be that Geno isn't there anymore.
Absolutely, Geno is a one-off, and is irreplaceable. But the questions are: 1. to what extent are current circumstances threatening the talent that even Geno needs to win; and 2. how will those circumstances affect Geno's future plans? There have been previous stretches (esp. 2005-2007) where UConn has really struggled (by its standards) because of player personnel, and then Geno reloaded. Another stretch like that, given Geno's age, might end it for him, as oldude was saying. Storrs is not the obvious place for the top talent to gravitate--Geno is the obvious place. But even Geno may not be the pull he once was if Storrs looks less inviting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One very interesting factoid. While UConn is truly a "national" recruiter when it comes to guards wings and forwards, as far as true post centers go, UConn is largely a regional recruiter. One way to look at this is simply by reviewing the players who are on the HOH, or are likely to be on. If you look at the G/W/F positions, along with some standouts from the Northeast, players also hail from TX, WV, GA, NH, CA, NV, MO, IL, NC, Russia, with potential future HOH honorees from TN & VA.

As for players that could be considered primarily pure centers on the HOH, there are 5, Tina, Steph, Rebecca, Breanna & Kara. They all hail from just two states that border CT: NY & MA. If Z makes it to the HOH, you could say she is from NC, but the truth is she spent her early years in RI, another state that borders CT. So on the one hand, the loss of a talented post player from TX is not unusual. There aren't that many really good posts around the country. I guess we should expect the next great UConn post to be Aliyah Boston, since she's from Worcester, MA, although I believe she grew up in St Thomas.......

Reaction Score
One very interesting factoid. While UConn is truly a "national" recruiter when it comes to guards wings and forwards, as far as true post centers go, UConn is largely a regional recruiter. One way to look at this is simply by reviewing the players who are on the HOH, or are likely to be on. If you look at the G/W/F positions, along with some standouts from the Northeast, players also hail from TX, WV, GA, NH, CA, NV, MO, IL, NC, Russia, with potential future HOH honorees from TN & VA.

As for players that could be considered primarily pure centers on the HOH, there are 5, Tina, Steph, Rebecca, Breanna & Kara. They all hail from just two states that border CT: NY & MA. If Z makes it to the HOH, you could say she is from NC, but the truth is she spent her early years in RI, another state that borders CT. So on the one hand, the loss of a talented post player from TX is not unusual. There aren't that many really good posts around the country. I guess we should expect the next great UConn post to be Aliyah Boston, since she's from Worcester, MA, although I believe she grew up in St Thomas..

Interesting analysis - I wonder if adding a high profile ass't coach with a fairly recent pro background in the post would help with the situation. I guess CD coaches the post players (?) and I'm not suggesting she go anywhere as there's no Geno without CD. Maybe bring one in as a graduate assistant or recruiting coordinator or whatever?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Interesting analysis - I wonder if adding a high profile ass't coach with a fairly recent pro background in the post would help with the situation. I guess CD coaches the post players (?) and I'm not suggesting she go anywhere as there's no Geno without CD. Maybe bring one in as a graduate assistant or recruiting coordinator or whatever?
Interesting thought, although it's not as if UConn can't point to Tina, Steph & Kiah Stokes as outstanding examples of post players who developed significantly while at UConn to become stars in college and the WNBA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Storrs is not the obvious place for the top talent to gravitate--Geno is the obvious place.
After a little thought about this point, I'm going to disagree.

There aren't many places WBB players play in packed arenas. Storrs is one of them. The facilities for the team (Werth Family Basketball Champions Center) are first rate, and not shared with other teams. The state as a whole loves the team. It is a unique culture. Now that unique culture owes a debt of thanks to Geno, but it will continue, diminished undoubtedly, after he leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After a little thought about this point, I'm going to disagree.

There aren't many places WBB players play in packed arenas. Storrs is one of them. The facilities for the team (Werth Family Basketball Champions Center) are first rate, and not shared with other teams. The state as a whole loves the team. It is a unique culture. Now that unique culture owes a debt of thanks to Geno, but it will continue, diminished undoubtedly, after he leaves.
Of course, that's because both programs win a lot. Kind of a virtuous circle there. But yes, Werth is a great attraction and, with an undistinguished football program, UConn will be prepared to pay top dollar for the WCBB coach. I'm sure you're right: that UConn will be competitive, and that will assure good (not necessarily great: Geno already complains about XL attendance) crowds.

Reaction Score
Sobering but apposite remarks, oldude. Been thinking along the same lines--not as thoughtfully or eloquently--but hesitated to put them "on paper." I do think the budget crisis could well affect recruiting in the future, as it creates uncertainty generally and is easy for opposing coaches to use in talking with recruits' parents. Collier's decision, however, may well be a question of personal family dynamics, but the timing for UConn is quite unfortunate. If UConn doesn't recruit a true post for next year, it may challenge the team to use Batouly and Kyla creatively during the interim. As you say, not optimal by any means, to be height challenged.

We can't predict how this will play in Geno's mind (Geno probably can't either). I think/hope he's savvy enough to appreciate that: 1. the potential budgetary cuts to UConn might be savage but won't cut at the heart of the university and won't make it worse than it was (say) 10 years ago; 2. that if he walks away from his next rebuilding challenge he is leaving a huge part of his life behind. I think/hope he realizes that if he retires he's bailing on a university that gave him his chance, and, rather, now he has the opportunity to really use his bully-pulpit to rally behind UConn.

But whatever, I'm especially glad to have season tickets this year to enjoy every minute of what's in front of us.

Bags27, I agree that Collier's decision was based on personal reasons. We sometimes forget how young these athletes are and that they need and want support from family and friends. The loss of a parent and the effect of the hurricane are each daunting and together are a lot to deal with.

Reaction Score
Although the requirement for a very tall person is obvious, none of us can predict with 100 per cent certainty the recruitment of specific candidates until they actually show up and start practice in November. Did any one predict the arrival of transfers Azura Stevens and Batouly Comara? They just happened. Who can say that this won't happen again with someone out their who would like to elevate their game and have a chance to to be taught by a the best of the best. Who knows, maybe there is 6' 9" person out there from Europe or Asia with skills.

Reaction Score
How quickly we go from the heights of optimism to the depths of counting bodies. Where'd Charli go? Will UConn go broke? Is this the end of the Geno era? Can Geno ever be replaced? After this year what? Well, it's time to roll out Don Meredith's old farewell to the good times: song the party's over willie nelson - Bing

Then remind ourselves that nothing lasts forever, BUT we ain't there yet!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't mean to make light of the state budgetary impasse, but if this is the roughest of weeks then things are pretty darn good. I know this might be easy for me to say from a distance, but I've seen so many of these budget battles surge and ebb in numerous states that it's hard for me to buy into any doomsday talk.

Players' commitments and attachments are fluid entities. Charli committed verbally to UConn in late November 2016; her tenure as a Husky-to-be lasted less than 10 months. But a lot transpired in her world in those 300 days (yes, I counted!): her community endured its worst flooding event on record.

[Just for context, here's an eye-opening short video taken of the flooding and its aftermath in Mont Belvieu, home to Barbers Hill High School:]

If there's any program that can absorb a decommitment one year prior to enrollment, it's UConn. If there's any coaching staff that can react and adjust its recruitment efforts accordingly, it's UConn's. The most significant takeaway in my mind is that Geno's magnanimous offer signals that he is having no thoughts of retirement. And as long as he's sticking around, I'm feeling pretty good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course, that's because both programs win a lot. Kind of a virtuous circle there. But yes, Werth is a great attraction and, with an undistinguished football program, UConn will be prepared to pay top dollar for the WCBB coach. I'm sure you're right: that UConn will be competitive, and that will assure good (not necessarily great: Geno already complains about XL attendance) crowds.
I think we are saying the same thing. Things change, but upon Geno's retirement UConn will still be the premier WBB coaching job in the country. Whoever comes in will have to continue that success, but they will have outstanding facilities, talent, University support, fan support and national brand recognition. That is a heck of a leg up on the competition.

Reaction Score
Last year began with some serious hand wringing, making the streak even more exciting, as the impossibly-small, remarkably-thin squad rose to meet all challenges except one. Geno and the other coaches helped keep the shaky ship afloat. We can't win them all or get all the recruits, but UCONN is still well positioned to capture the hearts (and minds) of the serious player with athletic aspirations that go beyond four years in Storrs.

Reaction Score

So, you have put your finger on the problem- Ihave passed it on in my e-mail to Geno and staff.

Reaction Score
Has anyone here been to TX? UT-Austin is the premier institution in Tx (not counting Rice- where 99.5% of Tx-students cannot even dream about going, but they and the family can dream about UT), so when that Univ comes calling it, is very difficult to say no. And in my experience Texans do not travel well as compare with NE (I say this as a foreigner having spend time in both regions). Was it really easy for Jefferson to leave the State and head to Conn!
I was glad when she committed, but am not fully shocked about the recent(?) change of mind (not that I saw it coming, or any other.....). Better to have her leave now than later. That said, Tx (State / U) is loaded with players and that is not without meaning. Will this translate into championships? Well, they have been loaded before and the correlations mixed, but what constitutes good correlations (championships, games won, educ./graduation ...)? The more things change the more they remain the same. Watch this space.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
IMO it has nothing to do with the State or not one player would leave CA :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom