Tough Decisions Ahead for the Sun | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tough Decisions Ahead for the Sun

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The WNBA is a strange beast. Comprized of most of the best women ballers in the world, it's players are paid very little compared to the premier leagues in Int'l play. WNBA attendance far outstrips most Int'l leagues. Those leagues and teams and team player salaries are all about ego of Industrial magnates and stateism. Frankly, I have come to believe that without the NBA Franchise support there is no future for women's professional basketball. TV contract money could do it, but the viewership is just not there. College/University Rah Rah (like us) drive the sport and when they go off to professional sports we move on to who is coming in next year. Fondly remembered, but not attended or watched enough to make a difference.

Reaction Score
The Sun team as currently constituted carries 18 players. Six must go before opening day. I honestly think the Sun would consider any trade that improved the team in Coach Miller's eyes but barring that I would consider the 10 players indicated (X) as "locks" to make the team. I am assuming that Chiney will be on the 12-player roster despite her injury as she was 2 years ago. Again, barring trades, that only leaves room for 2 more players. We traded to get Reshanda Gray, so she might be on the lock list also.

Do you agree with my locks? Has Kelly reached the end of her run here? I see the starting 5 on May 13 to be:
Alex, Jasz, JJ, Alyssa, and Lynetta. Morgan or Courtney will be first off the bench. Thoughts?

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

Now that Leticia Romero has announced she's not playing this summer, I have to ask why the CT Sun keep recruiting players they know, or must strongly suspect, won't actually play for them? There was the French player who refused to play in the U.S. as well. Was Romero a wasted pick?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Sun team as currently constituted carries 18 players. Six must go before opening day. I honestly think the Sun would consider any trade that improved the team in Coach Miller's eyes but barring that I would consider the 10 players indicated (X) as "locks" to make the team. I am assuming that Chiney will be on the 12-player roster despite her injury as she was 2 years ago. Again, barring trades, that only leaves room for 2 more players. We traded to get Reshanda Gray, so she might be on the lock list also.

Do you agree with my locks? Has Kelly reached the end of her run here? I see the starting 5 on May 13 to be:
Alex, Jasz, JJ, Alyssa, and Lynetta. Morgan or Courtney will be first off the bench. Thoughts?

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

With the latent talent on THIS roster, you would think there were at least 23 wins here.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Now that Leticia Romero has announced she's not playing this summer, I have to ask why the CT Sun keep recruiting players they know, or must strongly suspect, won't actually play for them? There was the French player who refused to play in the U.S. as well. Was Romero a wasted pick?

As DishNSwish said above in this thread, Romero has stated that she does want to play in the W. The French player you refer to I assume is Sandrine Gruda who played a season for the Sun then stayed home for a few years until the Sun traded her rights to the Sparks, where she has played the last couple years. She liked the W, apparently, but not Uncasville. Only time will tell how this pans out, but if the team is not in the mix for a championship or in a desirable city, it doesn't seem to go well.

Reaction Score
Thinking about Chiney made me recall when I lived in the Orlando area and how we waited year after year for Grant Hill to get healthy. He was a great guy with a sparkling personality, but they wasted a ton of money on him and he kept having setbacks year after year. He never really helped the franchise. Maybe it is time to let Chiney go and make room for some of these other players. If they really bomb, they might end up with a great player in next year's draft.

Don't get me wrong. I love her and thought she might turn out even better than her sister. But the unsentimental thing to do is probably to let her go.

Reaction Score

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

I think the team is stuck in a rut without a star player. Need the star. Chiney's injuries make her questionable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom