Tough Decisions Ahead for the Sun | The Boneyard

Tough Decisions Ahead for the Sun

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Sun team as currently constituted carries 18 players. Six must go before opening day. I honestly think the Sun would consider any trade that improved the team in Coach Miller's eyes but barring that I would consider the 10 players indicated (X) as "locks" to make the team. I am assuming that Chiney will be on the 12-player roster despite her injury as she was 2 years ago. Again, barring trades, that only leaves room for 2 more players. We traded to get Reshanda Gray, so she might be on the lock list also.

Do you agree with my locks? Has Kelly reached the end of her run here? I see the starting 5 on May 13 to be:
Alex, Jasz, JJ, Alyssa, and Lynetta. Morgan or Courtney will be first off the bench. Thoughts?

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The Sun team as currently constituted carries 18 players. Six must go before opening day. I honestly think the Sun would consider any trade that improved the team in Coach Miller's eyes but barring that I would consider the 10 players indicated (X) as "locks" to make the team. I am assuming that Chiney will be on the 12-player roster despite her injury as she was 2 years ago. Again, barring trades, that only leaves room for 2 more players. We traded to get Reshanda Gray, so she might be on the lock list also.

Do you agree with my locks? Has Kelly reached the end of her run here? I see the starting 5 on May 13 to be:
Alex, Jasz, JJ, Alyssa, and Lynetta. Morgan or Courtney will be first off the bench. Thoughts?

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

I think the rules allow them to carry another player in Chiney's spot for the season if she is going to be out for injury, correct...? So they could keep an additional 3 (plus the X'd players)

psconn

Reaction Score
I think the rules allow them to carry another player in Chiney's spot for the season if she is going to be out for injury, correct...? So they could keep an additional 3 (plus the X'd players)

My understanding is no, they can't carry another player and maintain Chiney on the 12 player roster. I think players out for a whole season can be "suspended" and then replaced, but they did not do this to Chiney before. If you want to research it, here the CBA and rules:

CBA
Rules

Reaction Score
psconn is correct; if they want Chiney around this year, she can't be suspended. If she's suspended she can go wherever she wants to rehab because she won't be getting paid.

You forgot Jessica January though.

Romero not coming into camp this summer will help a little. It's going to be a fight for the end of the bench for sure.

psconn

Reaction Score
psconn is correct; if they want Chiney around this year, she can't be suspended. If she's suspended she can go wherever she wants to rehab because she won't be getting paid.

You forgot Jessica January though.

Romero not coming into camp this summer will help a little. It's going to be a fight for the end of the bench for sure.

I also did not list Hightower but I understand she will be in camp. Is Romero going to train with Spain? I wasn't aware she wasn't going to be in camp.

Reaction Score
Yes, Hightower too. Romero is committed to Spanish national team for this summer but intends to play in the future Miller said last night.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes, Hightower too. Romero is committed to Spanish national team for this summer but intends to play in the future Miller said last night.

Is this a one time deal or a recurring thing? Thanks

Reaction Score
Is this a one time deal or a recurring thing? Thanks[/QUOTE

Who knows? He did say she wants to come play in the WNBA though; Torrens on the other hand, has never shown an interest in playing in the WNBA

Reaction Score
My understanding is no, they can't carry another player and maintain Chiney on the 12 player roster. I think players out for a whole season can be "suspended" and then replaced, but they did not do this to Chiney before. If you want to research it, here the CBA and rules:

CBA
Rules
The rule is rediculous. The league is aways looking for respectability, yet doesn't seem to have a disabled list catogory for situations like Chiney's. They will have to play one player short the entire year.

psconn

Reaction Score
Yes, but I believe they lose her rights if they suspend her.

Not 100% sure but I don't think so. I remember in 2015 Kelsey Griffin being waived due to injury but that was the last year of her contract. Hightower, if memory serves, was suspended the same year and I believe the Sun retained her rights. Ogwumike was also injured that year but was retained on the active roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not 100% sure but I don't think so. I remember in 2015 Kelsey Griffin being waived due to injury but that was the last year of her contract. Hightower, if memory serves, was suspended the same year and I believe the Sun retained her rights. Ogwumike was also injured that year but was retained on the active roster.

No, they do not lose her rights. That isn't correct.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Danielle Adams
Rachel Banham X
Alex Bentley X
Kelly Faris
Reshanda Gray
Jennifer Hamson
Jonquel Jones X
Lynetta Kizer X
Chiney Ogwumike X
Kayla Pedersen
Shekinna Stricklen
Alyssa Thomas X
Jasmine Thomas X
Morgan Tuck X
Courtney Williams X
Brionna Jones X
Shayla Cooper
Leticia Romero

I 100% agree with your locks. I would add Shayla Cooper and Reshanda Gray to my roster.

psconn

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with your locks. I would add Shayla Cooper and Reshanda Gray to my roster.

2nd rounder Shayla Cooper and Reshanda Gray over veteran Shekinna Stricklen and Husky darling Kelly Faris... very bold Mr. Carnac and quite possible.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2nd rounder Shayla Cooper and Reshanda Gray over veteran Shekinna Stricklen and Husky darling Kelly Faris... very bold Mr. Carnac and quite possible.

I've been impressed with Cooper (and have watched 5-6 of Ohio State's games the last 2 years) since they played UConn 2 years ago. I would give her every opportunity to make the team.
I think Gray has more of an upside than Strickland (pre-season team practices would answer that question), and I honestly think that Husky darling Farris is either done, or would be a better fit on another team. Especially given the fact that they will be playing with a short roster this season. My final decision would be based on what I saw in team practices regarding these 4.

Reaction Score
I agree with your picks, psconn. Although I'm less sure about keeping Ogwumike on the roster. I think that was the right decision back in 2015, right after her ROY season - but it'd nice to see if Cooper, Gray and Adams could offer something unique/useful.

All the 2017 picks seem good... I can't help but think, though, that they could use Romero's perimeter shooting this year.

I wish scientists could somehow give Stricklen's shooting skills to Alyssa Thomas.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
Thoughts on May 13th starters? I had said
Alex
Jasz
JJ
Alyssa
Lynetta
Morgan (after a slow start) or Courtney will be first off the bench and I'll add Rachel (assuming 100% health) and Brionna in the rotation also.
Because I live in hope, I will say that if Rachel becomes the Mohegan Mamba as some had hoped, and if she can play a little D, she would move up the depth chart. The girl can shoot.

psconn

Reaction Score
I agree with your picks, psconn. Although I'm less sure about keeping Ogwumike on the roster. I think that was the right decision back in 2015, right after her ROY season - but it'd nice to see if Cooper, Gray and Adams could offer something unique/im.

All the 2017 picks seem good... I can't help but think, though, that they could use Romero's perimeter shooting this year.

I wish scientists could somehow give Stricklen's shooting skills to Alyssa Thomas.

My thought is Chiney is the designated "face-of-the-franchise" and they want to treat her like a queen. No unpaid injury suspension for her. As I've said before, AT + mid-range game = perennial all-star. At this point it seems unlikely, although she has definitely been working on it. She would need to totally revamp her shooting mechanics. Hire Asjha Jones to coach her!

Reaction Score
My thought is Chiney is the designated "face-of-the-franchise" and they want to treat her like a queen. No unpaid injury suspension for her. As I've said before, AT + mid-range game = perennial all-star. At this point it seems unlikely, although she has definitely been working on it. She would need to totally revamp her shooting mechanics. Hire Asjha Jones to coach her!

Ogwumike *is* a great face-of-the-franchise - charming, effusive, smart.

It's weird - Thomas's free throw shooting has gotten progressively worse in the WNBA. She was better in college - I can't find an exact stat right now, but I think she was around 75% (maybe this is just nostalgic thinking about how great she was :p). Her form has also looked different to me these past few seasons. I guess it was always wonky, though.

I read that she is a right-handed person who shoots left-handed. How many other players shoot with their non-dominant hand? It seems unusual - can't help but wonder if that's something that should have been corrected way back when she was a kid.

I wonder, also, what impact her shoulder injury has had on her shooting.

psconn

Reaction Score
Ogwumike *is* a great face-of-the-franchise - charming, effusive, smart.

It's weird - Thomas's free throw shooting has gotten progressively worse in the WNBA. She was better in college - I can't find an exact stat right now, but I think she was around 75% (maybe this is just nostalgic thinking about how great she was :p). Her form has also looked different to me these past few seasons. I guess it was always wonky, though.

I read that she is a right-handed person who shoots left-handed. How many other players shoot with their non-dominant hand? It seems unusual - can't help but wonder if that's something that should have been corrected way back when she was a kid.

I wonder, also, what impact her shoulder injury has had on her shooting.

I suppose you'll be watching the Sun and the Mystics alot this season with 3 Terps on each squad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom