Tough crowd tonight. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tough crowd tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The game should never have been that close - eliminate some pure idiocy and the game is a 31-14 type of win.

Of course, idiocy never seems to ever truly be stamped out here.

Speaking of idiocy, who's the idiot who couldn't fudge the attendance figures a smidge and announce the attendance at 30,000?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear Diaco in the post-game presser? You would have thought he just beat Texas... Like that team for all the preseason and summer hype we all read played like a bunch of un-prepared, un-skilled slacks. They were flat all first half and the 3rd quarter. Maine played their hearts out and left it all on the field- you could tell they wanted this W bad. I wonder if it was the coaching staff not getting these players "up" for this FCS opponet, or that this team really just isn't good.

The secondary was weak all game, played confused.

The offense was predictable and ultra conservitive. Maybe its time that Diaco take the play calling away from Verducci upstairs and start letting his pro-style offense with Sherrifs at the helm air it out. The kid ran more yards than any RB last night!

I'm glad we're 1-0, but boy am I nervous for next weekend and what this season could be for us.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Just finished the first half on DVR. Noel Thomas dropped a long pass at end of the 1st half that would have changed the complexion of the 1st half. Very next play Shirrefs misses on a play that would go a long way or possibly score. 2nd half to go, but my impression is that there were a couple of physical mistakes that can be corrected and that game last night is not as close.
Those were both poor throws by Shirreffs, although I didn't see a replay of the first one on the scoreboard very well, it looked like Thomas had to turn back to have a chance at what have been a great catch. Every year I see FCS teams come in to the Rent, and then all season on TV, with better passers than we have had for years now.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The game should never have been that close - eliminate some pure idiocy and the game is a 31-14 type of win.

Of course, idiocy never seems to ever truly be stamped out here.

Speaking of idiocy, who's the idiot who couldn't fudge the attendance figures a smidge and announce the attendance at 30,000?
Seriously! I had the same thought. Big percepotion difference if we reach 30K.

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was better than the performance deserved. I didn't boo, but I understood why people did. It was a shameful end to the first half. At least try to kick the ball, ffs.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If I am Benedict, I have to wonder why Diaco is the head coach. Why? He is looking to sell tickets and increase enthusiasm. Diaco is tamping it down by using UCONN as his test tube for 60's style football. No punt returns. Ultra conservative play calls. Bend don't break defense. In today's age, that equates to 20k for a home game. Add on his lunatic fringe comments and the task gets taller.

If by G-d's grace we get into the Big 12, Diaco will have no choice but to play football - not manage it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Booing the coaches for the end of the half decision to not try to score, not the players.

Lousy decision. The odds of Maine scoring in that situation were worse than the Powerball odds. Take a chance...a first down in FG range or a lucky TD throw and Maine goes in at half deflated instead of encouraged.

But I'll be honest Belichick does the same thing all the time and it pisses me off. My view is that a play with 16 seconds in the half is no riskier than one with 5 minutes. Play the game.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I was one section up from the band. They had tons of energy. When the crowd booed that was when knew there was a crowd at all.

Reaction Score
Diaco is not fit for Big 12 football. Time to boot him.

There's no way he'll fit into that conference unless he comes up with some all-time defenses. Diaco really is over his head, anyway. I have no idea how people see potential competency in him.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If I am Benedict, I have to wonder why Diaco is the head coach. Why? He is looking to sell tickets and increase enthusiasm. Diaco is tamping it down by using UCONN as his test tube for 60's style football. No punt returns. Ultra conservative play calls. Bend don't break defense. In today's age, that equates to 20k for a home game. Add on his lunatic fringe comments and the task gets taller.

If by G-d's grace we get into the Big 12, Diaco will have no choice but to play football - not manage it.
I'm not fully there with you... Yet. But the spidey senses are tingling as the excuses fall one by one.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The playcalling couldn't haven't been any worse last night. I tried like hell to find excuses or somewhat logical reasoning...there isn't any. I understand vanilla playcalling against FCS teams to not put plays on film. But last night was different - the game was in question until the final play of the game. At some point, you have to go grab a game by the friggin' horns, build up a big lead, then you can conserve as much as you want.

Taking a knee at the end of the half was brutal. Equally brutal - calling timeout with 13 seconds left on the game clock to kick the FG. Why give Maine any time whatsoever after the kick??? We gave them an opportunity to run back a kick AND run a fumblrooski lateral play. Unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Equally brutal - calling timeout with 13 seconds left on the game clock to kick the FG. Why give Maine any time whatsoever after the kick??? We gave them an opportunity to run back a kick AND run a fumblrooski lateral play. Unacceptable.

Thought process is if you are going to kick on third down (or less) to account for a bad snap and re-kick then you need to leave time on the clock for that to happen. Not 13 seconds but closer 7 +/-?

Reaction Score
Thought process is if you are going to kick on third down (or less) to account for a bad snap and re-kick then you need to leave time on the clock for that to happen. Not 13 seconds but closer 7 +/-?

But you're out of timeouts, so you won't have enough time to re-set after the first bad snap. You run the clock down and take the timeout with :04 left.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
But you're out of timeouts, so you won't have enough time to re-set after the first bad snap. You run the clock down and take the timeout with :04 left.

Exactly. That was our 3rd and final TO. I understand that you leave some time to account for a bad snap. But in the event of a bad snap and if our holder can't throw the ball away, the clock runs out anyway. If we had an extra emergency TO, then I have no problem with leaving a little time on the clock to account for bad snaps.

Reaction Score
I was one of the first to start booing. There were 16 seconds left for goodness sakes!! Take a shot at the endzone. The booing was well deserved.

There was a lot more than that. It was closer to 30 seconds.

Reaction Score
Lousy decision. The odds of Maine scoring in that situation were worse than the Powerball odds. Take a chance...a first down in FG range or a lucky TD throw and Maine goes in at half deflated instead of encouraged.

But I'll be honest Belichick does the same thing all the time and it pisses me off. My view is that a play with 16 seconds in the half is no riskier than one with 5 minutes. Play the game.

Belichick doesn't do it within field goal distance

Reaction Score

You should be able to set up for a kick without having a timeout. Especially if the kicking team is still on the field.

Reaction Score
In a time when we're trying to sell as many tickets as possible it's tough to have a coach who makes Hank Stram look daring running the team.

This is supposed to be entertainment. And the display last night was anything but entertaining.

For all the preseason hype the coach , staff and players laid a giant egg.

Last nights win felt like a loss to me.

Reaction Score
There was a lot more than that. It was closer to 30 seconds.
It was whatever the playclock is + 7 seconds. They let the play clock expire and the 10 second runoff for the penalty took it to half time.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Watching that offense last night made me think the old ball coach PP and GD had kidnapped BD and staff....

Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was better than the performance deserved. I didn't boo, but I understood why people did. It was a shameful end to the first half. At least try to kick the ball, ffs.

did anyone notice that Puyol tee'd one up from 52 when they came out after the half for warm ups and hit it comfortably? That's where the ball would have been spotted had they tried at the end of the half.

Reaction Score
You should be able to set up for a kick without having a timeout. Especially if the kicking team is still on the field.

The clock is running from the snap. There is no way to set back up and execute the kick. None.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom