Top States Producing College All-American's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top States Producing College All-American's

Reaction Score
I think it matters more where you attend college, rather than what state you came from. There are a lot of players who were rated top high school players that didn't make the cut in college. If a college coach can't make a player any better, they don't become all american's.

Reaction Score
One more interesting tidbit: I was able to find 4 High Schools that have each produced 3 AP College All American's:

Chicago, IL Marshall - Cappie Pondexter, Kim Williams and Alisha Durras.
Dallas, TX Lincoln - Angela Aycock, Tamicha Jackson and Andrea Riley.
Cypress-Fairbanks, TX - Neka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike and Lindsey Harding.
Queens, NY Christ The King - Chamique Holdsclaw, Sue Bird and Tina Charles.
Looking before my original research from 1995-on, I have found 2 more WBCA All-Americans from Chicago Marshall! Toni Foster (college-Iowa) and Janet Harris (ILL). They would have 5 unless I find more!

Reaction Score
I tallied the states where the AP College All-American team players played their high school basketball in. I used the AP teams because they listed 15 players for each year, which was the largest sample size. Since AP started their AA teams in 95, the same year as UConn's 1st title, that seemed like a good starting point! There have been 213 different players named an AP All-American in the last 23 seasons from the 1994-95 season to the recently concluded 2016-17 season. 12 were foreign players who never played HS ball in the US, leaving a total of 201 US players. Averaging a little less than 9 players each year it's not that big of a sample size, but a gaze at where the very elite college players came from! ACCURACY - For the 5 or so most recent years I was able to use AP"s press release for info, but before that the easiest resource was Wikipedia. So any errors I will gladly blame Wikipedia! ;) Usually the last state played in is used for players who played hs in different states. Angel McCoughtry supposedly graduated from a MD HS but went for one year to a NC HS. In her case I included her in my Maryland totals. Here are the top states producing the most AP All-American's. Any surprises?

STATES THAT PRODUCED THE 201 US AP ALL-AMERICAN'S (1995-2017)

27-TEX 19-CAL 11-FLA 10-ILL 9-IND/NY/OH/PA 8-LA/MISS 6-GA/VIR/WASH 5-MD/MO/NC/TN 4-NJ/SC 3-AZ/KS/MINN/WI 2-ALAB/ARK/CT/IOWA/MASS/MICH 1-ALASKA/DC/DEL/KY/ME/NEBR/NEV/ND/ORE/SD/UTAH/WV.

I will list many of the individual players in many of the top states in posts to follow!

I don't get the math. 15 AA's per season times 23 seasons equals 345. Minus 12 foreign players leaves 333. So where does your total of 201 AA USA players come from?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't get the math. 15 AA's per season times 23 seasons equals 345. Minus 12 foreign players leaves 333. So where does your total of 201 AA USA players come from?
I'm guessing it's players being selected for multiple years. That Maya Moore took 4 slots!

Reaction Score
I'm guessing it's players being selected for multiple years. That Maya Moore took 4 slots!
You are correct! In fact I was surprised at how many players were multi year AA's. There were a few years where of the 15 from one year, maybe 9 of those same players duplicated the feat the next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are correct! In fact I was surprised at how many players were multi year AA's. There were a few years where of the 15 from one year, maybe 9 of those same players duplicated the feat the next year.
Trivia question:

Who was the last Husky to be a one-time All-American in a full career?

Morgan, because she didn't come back.

Working backward:

Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby 1x, careers incomplete.

Morgan 1x (left with a year of eligibility)

Moriah 2x

Stewie 3x

Kaleena 2x (injury cost her one year)

Stef 2x

Bria 2x (injury hampered her one year)

Maya 4x

Tina 2x

Renee 2x

Not many 1x in there.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Trivia question:

Who was the last Husky to be a one-time All-American in a full career?

Morgan, because she didn't come back.

Oooh, good question. I came up with Ashja, although she was on the AP 3rd team, so we might not count that. Before that, maybe a little surprisingly, Shea was an AA only once. Before that, Kerry Bascom.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oooh, good question. I came up with Ashja, although she was on the AP 3rd team, so we might not count that. Before that, maybe a little surprisingly, Shea was an AA only once. Before that, Kerry Bascom.
Maybe Swin too, but I'm not sure.

Asjha isn't on the wall.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
That is really interesting stuff! Thk you for the time and effort to put that together. This puts into perspective what an absolutely unlikely thing happened in Ct. the numbers don't lie!

Reaction Score
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have expanded my research back to 1975 and all the WBCA All-Americans but am having trouble finding either the state of the last high school or just whatever states these players may have played in before going to college. I need help with Jan Irby (William Penn '75 AA) and Franci Washington (Ohio State '79 AA). Anyone with any info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great research.
Interesting to note that of the five TN AAs only one of them players for the Lady Vols Nikki McCray. While recent history has not been kind to that team, they were the power for the first half of the selected time period, and produced 10 AAs, but only one of them home grown - the rest all 'got away' from Holly/Pat.
In contrast, CT and MA only produced 2 AAs each, but they all went to Uconn. And Uconn got 5 of the 9 from the other bordering states (NY 9, RI 0)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have expanded my research back to 1975 and all the WBCA All-Americans but am having trouble finding either the state of the last high school or just whatever states these players may have played in before going to college. I need help with Jan Irby (William Penn '75 AA) and Franci Washington (Ohio State '79 AA). Anyone with any info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Frani Washington played for Toledo Woodward in Ohio, where she led her team to the first ever Girls Basketball State Tournament in Ohio. (Woodward won the AAA (Now known as Division 1 in Ohio), Columbus Bishop Hartley won the AA division(Division 2 now) and Frankfort Adena won A (now Division 3)

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
As for Jan Irby, she originally played at Parsons College but when they closed due to financial reasons she followed her coach to William Penn. She got married so her name is now Jan Irby Newland, so it took some work, but she is originally from Claude, Texas where in '71 and '72 she led her high school team to the State Championship.

Legends honored | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

Reaction Score
As for Jan Irby, she originally played at Parsons College but when they closed due to financial reasons she followed her coach to William Penn. She got married so her name is now Jan Irby Newland, so it took some work, but she is originally from Claude, Texas where in '71 and '72 she led her high school team to the State Championship.

Legends honored | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News
Thank you very much. I was just getting tired of getting them all as many took some time to get. Anyway now I have the home state of EVERY WBCA (1975-2017) and AP (1995-2017) All-Americans! I will try to put everyone into one list, maybe starting tomorrow. I shouldn't of just done the most recent 23 seasons but I never thought I would go all the way back over 43 seasons.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see this adjusted for population like AAs/1Mill people.

Reaction Score
Would be interesting to see this adjusted for population like AAs/1Mill people.
Haha once I type out 350 or so names tomorrow I'm done from share exhaustion. Anyone is more than welcome to do whatever they'd like to do with the info!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom