Top States Producing College All-American's | The Boneyard

Top States Producing College All-American's

Reaction Score
I tallied the states where the AP College All-American team players played their high school basketball in. I used the AP teams because they listed 15 players for each year, which was the largest sample size. Since AP started their AA teams in 95, the same year as UConn's 1st title, that seemed like a good starting point! There have been 213 different players named an AP All-American in the last 23 seasons from the 1994-95 season to the recently concluded 2016-17 season. 12 were foreign players who never played HS ball in the US, leaving a total of 201 US players. Averaging a little less than 9 players each year it's not that big of a sample size, but a gaze at where the very elite college players came from! ACCURACY - For the 5 or so most recent years I was able to use AP"s press release for info, but before that the easiest resource was Wikipedia. So any errors I will gladly blame Wikipedia! ;) Usually the last state played in is used for players who played hs in different states. Angel McCoughtry supposedly graduated from a MD HS but went for one year to a NC HS. In her case I included her in my Maryland totals. Here are the top states producing the most AP All-American's. Any surprises?

STATES THAT PRODUCED THE 201 US AP ALL-AMERICAN'S (1995-2017)

27-TEX 19-CAL 11-FLA 10-ILL 9-IND/NY/OH/PA 8-LA/MISS 6-GA/VIR/WASH 5-MD/MO/NC/TN 4-NJ/SC 3-AZ/KS/MINN/WI 2-ALAB/ARK/CT/IOWA/MASS/MICH 1-ALASKA/DC/DEL/KY/ME/NEBR/NEV/ND/ORE/SD/UTAH/WV.

I will list many of the individual players in many of the top states in posts to follow!

Reaction Score
MD - Angel Mccoughtry, Monique Currie, Brionna Jones, Lindsay Allen and Dana Johnson.
MO - Napheesa Collier, Danielle Adams, Niele Ivey, Betty Lennox and Kristin Folkl.
NC - Tiffany Mitchell, Shea Ralph, Wendy Palmer, Charlotte Smith and Chante Black.
TN - Nina Davis, Nikki McCray, Alysha Clark, Victoria Dunlap and LaTasha Byears.
VIR - Elizabeth Williams, Monica Wright, Kristi Toliver, Kara Lawson, Jasmine Thomas and La'Keshia Frett.
WA - Courtney Vandersloot, Jamie Weisner, Katie Starbird, Chantelle Anderson, Sheila Lambert and Leilani Mitchell.
GA - Maya Moore, DeLisha Milton, Lexie Brown, Amber Holt, Tasha Humphrey and Jocelyn Penn.
NJ - Ashja Jones, Crystal Langhorne, Nyree Roberts and Tamecka Dixon.
SC - A'ja Wilson, Ivory Latta, Shannon Johnson and Sandia Roundtree.
MS - Niesa Johnson, Cornelia Gayden, Murriel Page, Tamika Whitmore, Latoya Thomas, Tan White, Armintie Price and Victoria Vivians.

More to come, if anyone's interested!

Reaction Score
LA-Seimone Augustus, Alana Beard, Sophia Young, Chrissy Givens, Tameka Johnson, Amanda Wilson, Vickie Johnson and Sheri Sam.
IN-Skyler Diggins, Katie Douglas, Ruth Riley, Stephanie White, Shyra Ely, Jacqueline Batteast, Katie Geralds, Amber Harris and Ta'Shia Phillips.
NY-Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, Chamique Holdsclaw, Bria Hartley, Stephanie Dolson, Samantha Prahalis, Shenise Johnson and Epiphanny Price.
OH-Kelsey Mitchell, Jantel Lavender, Jessica Davenport, Katie Smith, Semeka Randall, Helen Darling, Georgia Schweltzer, Alison Bales and Alexis Peterson.
PA-Kayla McBride, Alyssa Thomas, Kelly Mazzanti, Maggie Lucas, Tanisha Wright, Tina Nicholson, Angie Potthoff, Swin Cash and Shatori Walker-Kimborough. I'm sure I messed up her last name!
IL-Candace Parker, Jewel Loyd, Cappie Pondexter, Kim Williams, Dominique Canty, Alisa Burras, Ashley Berggren, Khara Smith, Tricia Liston and Morgan Tuck.
FL-Sylvia Fowles, Sandora Irvin, Tracy Reid, Grace Daley, Marie Ferdinand, Vanessa Hayden, Candice Dupree, Erlana Larkins, Shavonte Zellous, Riquana Williams and Tiffany Hayes.

Reaction Score
CA-Diana Taurasi, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis, Courtney Paris, Candace Wiggins, Jeanette Pohlen, Kelsey Plum, Tina Thompson, Marion Jones, Adia Barnes, Maylana Martin, Erin Buescher, Jayne Appel, Ashley Walker, Danielle Robinson, Chelsea Gray, Brittany Boyd, Jillian Alleyne and Reshanda Gray.
TX-Tamika Catchings, Brittney Griner, Odyssey Sims, Moriah Jefferson, Neka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike, Lindsey Harding, Alicia Thompson, Angela Aycock, Kelsey Bone, Debra Williams, Jamicha Jackson, Michi Atkins, Angie Braziel, Plenette Pierson, Shaconda Enis, Brianna Turner, Kedra Holland-Corn, Andrea Riley, Meighan Simmons, Katrina Price, Edwina Brown, Stacey Stephens, Tiffany Jackson, Shereka Wright, Chandi Jones and Steffanie Blackmon.

That seems like enough names for now. Sorry if I went overboard! I've listed all the states with at least 4 All-Americans. If anyone would like to know any other states I would gladly provide that info, or I might just do it at a later time!

One more interesting tidbit: I was able to find 4 High Schools that have each produced 3 AP College All American's:

Chicago, IL Marshall - Cappie Pondexter, Kim Williams and Alisha Durras.
Dallas, TX Lincoln - Angela Aycock, Tamicha Jackson and Andrea Riley.
Cypress-Fairbanks, TX - Neka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike and Lindsey Harding.
Queens, NY Christ The King - Chamique Holdsclaw, Sue Bird and Tina Charles.

Reaction Score
Marissa Coleman I believe was an All American from Maryland. Monique Curry went to school in Md but lived in DC. Marissa was the opposite. (lived in PG County but went to St. John's in DC)

Reaction Score
All it took was one person who wanted me to continue!

AZ-Nicole Powell, Chantel Osahor and Sidney Wiese.
KS-Jackie Stiles, Nicole Ohlde and Kendra Walker.
MN-Rachel Banham, Lindsay Whalen and Kelly Miller.
WI-Janel McCarville, Samantha Logic and Julie Wojta.
ALAB-DeWanna Bonner and Deanna Jackson.
ARK-Shekinna Stricklen and Shameka Christon.
CT-Jennifer Rizzotti and Nykesha Sales.
IOWA-Shelly Sheetz and Stacy Frese.
MA-Rebecca Lobo and Kara Wolters.
MI-Aeriel Powers and Michelle VanCorp.

lone representatives for their states are Kelsey Griffin (Alaska), Marissa Coleman (DC), Elena Delle Donne (DEL), A'Dia Mathies (KY), Cindy Blodgett (ME), Jordan Hooper (NEBR), Gabby Williams (NV), Angie Welle (ND), Shonni Schimmel (OR), Becky Hammon (SD), Brittney Martin (UT) and Renee Montgomery (WV).

Just to remember these only go back to the 1994-95 season. I would like to delve further by using WBCA All- American teams which started in 1973. But the farther you go back it gets a little harder to find the info easily. If anyone knows of a quicker source ( other than Wikipedia, school rosters, school media guides and googling their name) I would gladly tabulate the results and add it to these results for an even bigger sample size.

Reaction Score
Marissa Coleman I believe was an All American from Maryland. Monique Curry went to school in Md but lived in DC. Marissa was the opposite. (lived in PG County but went to St. John's in DC)
Marissa is on my list (posted after your reply) under DC. As I noted I included players under the state that they finished their HS career's at. You are correct that the DC area has many players living in MD or VA who play in DC and Vice Versa. Also NJ is another state which gets players listed who may actually live in NY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CA-Diana Taurasi, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kalena Mosqueda-Lewis, Courtney Paris, Candace Wiggins, Jeanette Pohlen, Kelsey Plum, Tina Thompson, Marion Jones, Adia Barnes, Maylana Martin, Erin Buescher, Jayne Appel, Ashley Walker, Danielle Robinson, Chelsea Gray, Brittany Boyd, Jillian Alleyne and Reshanda Gray.
TX-Tamika Catchings, Brittney Griner, Odyssey Sims, Moriah Jefferson, Neka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike, Lindsey Harding, Alicia Thompson, Angela Aycock, Kelsey Bone, Debra Williams, Jamicha Jackson, Michi Atkins, Angie Braziel, Plenette Pierson, Shaconda Enis, Brianna Turner, Kedra Holland-Corn, Andrea Riley, Meighan Simmons, Katrina Price, Edwina Brown, Stacey Stephens, Tiffany Jackson, Shereka Wright, Chandi Jones and Steffanie Blackmon.

That seems like enough names for now. Sorry if I went overboard! I've listed all the states with at least 4 All-Americans. If anyone would like to know any other states I would gladly provide that info, or I might just do it at a later time!

One more interesting tidbit: I was able to find 4 High Schools that have each produced 3 AP College All American's:

Chicago, IL Marshall - Cappie Pondexter, Kim Williams and Alisha Durras.
Dallas, TX Lincoln - Angela Aycock, Tamicha Jackson and Andrea Riley.
Cypress-Fairbanks, TX - Neka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike and Lindsey Harding.
Queens, NY Christ The King - Chamique Holdsclaw, Sue Bird and Tina Charles.
Cypress is an unusual situation, because 2 of the players were sisters. I had no idea that Lindsey had played there.

The CTK players were 3 of the best to ever lace them up. Each was a NPOY. The Cypress kids may have been too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was at the Jordan Brand game on Friday. Texas had several players:

Chennedy Carter
Lexi Gordon
Alexis Morris
Chasity Patterson
Deauzya Richards
Jade Williams
Kiana Williams

Carter, Patterson, and K. Williams are point guards. Moriah Jefferson and Alexis Jones also came out of Texas. Mo is making a case for the best PG ever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is cool, thanks for taking the time to do it!

Only 1 from Oregon? That number could increase in the next few years. Also a decent chance Alaska is gonna get another one as Hebard continues to develop.

UConn has done okay with the players they've gotten out of California.

Reaction Score
Wait! That list can't be right. Not all of those players went to UConn. And we KNOW UConn always gets the best players! :rolleyes:
Actually I do have a tally by college. Note this is only from 1995 to the present and doesn't include the 12 foreign AP All-Americans (like Svetlana). 22-Conn 12-Duke. 10-Tenn. 8-ND/Stan. 7-Mary. 6-Bayl/Penn St/La Tech. 5-Ga/LSU/NC/Ohio St. 4-Purd/So Car/Tex Tech.

Going back before '95 is where La Tech and Tenn's total would really increase!

Reaction Score
Cypress is an unusual situation, because 2 of the players were sisters. I had no idea that Lindsey had played there.

The CTK players were 3 of the best to ever lace them up. Each was a NPOY. The Cypress kids may have been too.
It is crazy when you see the caliber of those players from CTK. IMO Chamique was the best of them in HS and college!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would like to see UConn have an annual trip to California. That would mean having a home/away series with two California/West Coast Schools with alternating home/away years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would like to see UConn have an annual trip to California. That would mean having a home/away series with two California/West Coast Schools with alternating home/away years.
Some folks knock the AAC, but league play gets us to Dallas every year. That's in addition to our visits to Waco. The talent pool in Texas and California is huge!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I was at the Jordan Brand game on Friday. Texas had several players:

Chennedy Carter
Lexi Gordon
Alexis Morris
Chasity Patterson
Deauzya Richards
Jade Williams
Kiana Williams

Carter, Patterson, and K. Williams are point guards. Moriah Jefferson and Alexis Jones also came out of Texas. Mo is making a case for the best PG ever.

I think Jefferson has great potential to be one of the greats, but to say that she is already making a case as one of the best ever is a stretch. Maybe we should wait until she wins a WNBA title, wins an Olympic gold medal (or 4 like Bird) before we put her in that stratosphere.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Jefferson has great potential to be one of the greats, but to say that she is already making a case as one of the best ever is a stretch. Maybe we should wait until she wins a WNBA title, wins an Olympic gold medal (or 4 like Bird) before we put her in that stratosphere.
She's in the early stages of making her case. She won 4 NCAA championships, 2 Lieberman Awards, and NDPOY award. She is overshadowed by her lanky former teammate; otherwise, she would have been NPOY and ROY. If she stays healthy, she could be one of the top PGs ever. A WNBA title may be hard to come by, but I look for her to be a major part of Team USA.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She's in the early stages of making her case. She won 4 NCAA championships, 2 Lieberman Awards, and NDPOY award. She is overshadowed by her lanky former teammate; otherwise, she would have been NPOY and ROY. If she stays healthy, she could be one of the top PGs ever. A WNBA title may be hard to come by, but I look for her to be a major part of Team USA.

I can go with "early stages." I agree there.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
NY-Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, Chamique Holdsclaw, Bria Hartley, Stephanie Dolson, Samantha Prahalis, Shenise Johnson and Epiphanny Price.

I know a number of states have more but NY might have the highest quality.

Reaction Score
I know a number of states have more but NY might have the highest quality.
I might have to agree with you. When you can have a frountcourt of Tina, Breanna and Chamique and a backcourt of Sue and maybe Epiphany, it's hard to find a better starting five! Possibly just TX or CAL could match it. Cal can put Courtney Paris, Tina Thompson, DT, Kelsey Plum and possibly a Wiggins, Marion Jones or KLS!

I'm not familiar with many of the older TX players but with just mostly their younger stars they could field a team of Griner, the 2 Ogwumike sisters, Tamicka Catching and either Moriah Jefferson, Odyssey Sims or Lindsey Harding!

These seem to be the 3 best states for a starting five to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom