Top Gun Reboot | The Boneyard

Top Gun Reboot

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The original sucked. Why would I want to see a sequel 30+ years later?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It is also responsible for a lot of gun toting douchenozzles in their mid 40's/50's.

Reaction Score
Classic. I had a Katana 750 and performed this all the time.

tenor.gif

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"I think she's lost it."

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say it sucked, it was entertaining in its day for a young kid who loved fighter jets and flying. But, yea, 30 years later when presented with the idea of a sequel? I’m not sure that I feel the need...

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say it sucked, it was entertaining in its day for a young kid who loved fighter jets and flying. But, yea, 30 years later when presented with the idea of a sequel? I’m not sure that I feel the need...

Four catapults off line? Not possible. The original had logical flaws and the romantic sub plot was a bit absurd, but from an entertainment standpoint, the movie was fun to watch.

Fighter planes don't dog fight these days, they fire missiles beyond visual range.

I imagine they are going to have to be very creative with the story line, but I think they'll have to make the adversary the Russian T50 or Chinese J 20 stealth fighter.

The name of the movie will be Maverick, my guess is that Tom Cruise will probably hop into the cockpit in the final scene

Reaction Score

When I was a kid Top Gun was the greatest thing ever. The first scene alone had you hooked if you loved big machines and speed.

The sequel to Top Gun has already been made, it’s called Days of Thunder. Same director and plot basically.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Four catapults off line? Not possible. The original had logical flaws and the romantic sub plot was a bit absurd, but from an entertainment standpoint, the movie was fun to watch.

Fighter planes don't dog fight these days, they fire missiles beyond visual range.

I imagine they are going to have to be very creative with the story line, but I think they'll have to make the adversary the Russian T50 or Chinese J 20 stealth fighter.

The name of the movie will be Maverick, my guess is that Tom Cruise will probably hop into the cockpit in the final scene
My guess is UAVs with AI based on known US pilot techniques protecting some high value target. Maverick comes out of retirement because his unorthodox flying can beat the drones. So basically a hybrid of the start of the (profoundly bad) Green Lantern movie with Top Gun. Vaguely topical with thinly plausible premise to a 50 something year old guy in a fighter cockpit.

Alternative is F-35 system is being hacked, and Maverick flies in in a Super Hornet and takes out the site doing the hacking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'll play along. Why is four catapults offline not possible?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My guess is UAVs with AI based on known US pilot techniques protecting some high value target. Maverick comes out of retirement because his unorthodox flying can beat the drones. So basically a hybrid of the start of the (profoundly bad) Green Lantern movie with Top Gun. Vaguely topical with thinly plausible premise to a 50 something year old guy in a fighter cockpit.

Alternative is 35 system is being hacked, and Maverick flies in in a Super Hornet and takes out the site doing the hacking.

Not bad. Although I would think if it's Navy aircraft and F-35's are being hacked, he'd have to find an Iranian F-14 to avoid it. I'm guessing if someone could hack drones and F-35's, the SuperHornets would be susceptible too. But it's just a movie.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not bad. Although I would think if it's Navy aircraft and 35's are being hacked, he'd have to find an Iranian 14 to avoid it. I'm guessing if someone could hack drones and 35's, the SuperHornets would be susceptible too. But it's just a movie.
Now that I think about it, weren't they flying Tomcats in the original movie? How about this, he flies in using his mothballed original plane, still bearing his call sign on the side. Fresh from the boneyard, it gets a quick retro fit and goes into harm's way.

I'm telling you Chin, you and I ought to be consulting on this script.

Reaction Score
Now that I think about it, weren't they flying Tomcats in the original movie? How about this, he flies in using his mothballed original plane, still bearing his call sign on the side. Fresh from the boneyard, it gets a quick retro fit and goes into harm's way.

Don't forget where the older Cruise will try to hustle his new trainee/protege (The Color of Money) and then scores with his protege's hot honey (Cocktail) before finally issuing a Code Red to get rid of a witness.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
sigh... against my better judgement... and how is that exactly?

Watch Archer. There are real guys who walk around thinking like him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Your post implies I wasn't consulted on this?

I thought the basic premise was Cruise is now the crusty old instructor pilot and there was some new hot shot playing the Maverick role. I would imagine with Cruise in the movie, no way he takes a back seat (damn that was well done Chin) to another actor for the final action scenes.

I've been told F-35's will play a major role. This is Navy so no F-22's. Your choices for Navy strike fighters are F-35's or F/A-18 Super Hornets. And no way is Tom Cruise flying in an airplane that Owen Wilson got shot down in over Eastern Europe.

Using drones and UAV technology is an interesting and appropriate twist. Plenty of fighter jocks out there right now are pissed that nerds are flying drones in locations way more cool than real airplanes. If this movie is really well-played one towards the fighter pilots, one of the drone operators or drone programmers will be a rogue agent and be helping the bad guys. And then it will take manned aircraft to save the day. (The general plot of man v. machine already being brought up in this thread).

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You have awful taste. Please go commit suicide as soon as possible.

Someone is still hurt 30+ years later that when he went to play beach volleyball in jeans and a t-shirt and took off his shirt the moment was met with blood curdling shrieks and laughs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom