Top Dogs Podcast: The art of rebuilding a roster and the NBA | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast: The art of rebuilding a roster and the NBA

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not my favorite takes in this one. A lot of stuff I agree with but why be so hesitant (and by hesitant I mean not at all) to talk about the NIL component of Timberlake to Kansas, but then have no problem talking about the NIL component of a possible Sanogo transfer if he didn't go to draft.

Also the framing of Castle and AJ as the same player is pretty weak stuff. And I VEHEMENTLY disagree with the take that if you could choose to have one back from Newton and AJ it would be better to have Newton. Holy LOL.

Have to remember your audience. POD was fine for casuals, but casuals aren't listening to this pod. And the hardcores can kind of see through the soft pedaling here.

Reaction Score
Not my favorite takes in this one. A lot of stuff I agree with but why be so hesitant (and by hesitant I mean not at all) to talk about the NIL component of Timberlake to Kansas, but then have no problem talking about the NIL component of a possible Sanogo transfer if he didn't go to draft.

Also the framing of Castle and AJ as the same player is pretty weak stuff. And I VEHEMENTLY disagree with the take that if you could choose to have one back from Newton and AJ it would be better to have Newton. Holy LOL.

Have to remember your audience. POD was fine for casuals, but casuals aren't listening to this pod. And the hardcores can kind of see through the soft pedaling here.
thx for the heads up...can pass on this one....how do you talk about Timberlake without discussing NIL??

Seems like NIL should be registered with the NCAA and there should be an NIL database

Reaction Score

Dauster got a little mad at me on twitter today because I said that Memphis was the team that made the 800k offer to Sanogo (while the tournament was still going on btw...) and he replied to me saying "what so you think that Penny is just calling guys up and offering them money?"

Uhh no Rob, but Penny (and other coaches) absolutely tells his bagmen and NIL collective boosters to start sending out feelers to potential players who aren't in the portal yet - which is tampering. And it's even more disgusting that it was happening WHILE WE WERE STILL PLAYING. Someone can confirm or deny it, but I was told that 800k number while the tournament was going on. So either this is all a big coincidence, or it was true.

Reaction Score
I also disagree about the choice between Andre or Tristen. I like Tristen and without him I doubt if we would have #5 but Andre was the MVP of this year's team in my opinion. As Raff said vs SDSU "he's always in the right place at the right time". Might be my favorite Husky of all time. Along with Ricky Moore, Jake Voskuhl and of Lyman DePriest. I think you can tell I like players that are tough. Jake was the toughest of all. And is there a better player to lead the young pups into battle?

Reaction Score
I would love for a Dauster or another college Bball insider/expert (whatever you want to call them) to discuss NIL and the real mechanics of how teams are using it to build their rosters without being vague. I've heard Goodman say on the Field of 68 podcast that Creighton has a "great NIL situation" but what does that even mean? What makes it a great situation? Is it a collective and if so how does that work. Who controls the money in the collective and how tied to the program is it?

Feels like when people were discussing NIL early on alot of the talk was about how most teams are already cheating and that NIL would level the playing field and bring all the shady activities into the open. In my opinion NIL is just as shady as it was a few years ago. No one knows where the money is coming from or how it gets distributed.

Reaction Score
Dauster got a little mad at me on twitter today because I said that Memphis was the team that made the 800k offer to Sanogo (while the tournament was still going on btw...) and he replied to me saying "what so you think that Penny is just calling guys up and offering them money?"

Uhh no Rob, but Penny (and other coaches) absolutely tells his bagmen and NIL collective boosters to start sending out feelers to potential players who aren't in the portal yet - which is tampering. And it's even more disgusting that it was happening WHILE WE WERE STILL PLAYING. Someone can confirm or deny it, but I was told that 800k number while the tournament was going on. So either this is all a big coincidence, or it was true.
I mean who actually told you that 800k number though? People got swept up in internet rumors spread by internet trolls trying to make Sanogo to Memphis a thing, when in reality there was no truth to it. I definitely trust Dauster's connections to the situation above any twitter/BY posters in that regard

Reaction Score
I mean who actually told you that 800k number though? People got swept up in internet rumors spread by internet trolls trying to make Sanogo to Memphis a thing, when in reality there was no truth to it. I definitely trust Dauster's connections to the situation above any twitter/BY posters in that regard
All I'm saying is that it would be an awfully big coincidence for me to be told that $800k number, and then Dauster goes on his pod yesterday and drops the $800k number. I think there is some truth there

August_West

Reaction Score

I give Mr. Dauster him a wide berth. I like him. He is a HUGE UConn fan, and he has also built a nice little College Hoops pod business for himself in the last 3 years Sometimes those two items are at odds with each other, and I get the impression that he still is having trouble reconciling the two. That's a fair challenge and I will give him the space to do that without totally dropping the hammer. Because, I mean, I think just this year on this board I called Dauster my spirit animal, and then maybe 2 weeks later I lightly hammered him. He and F68 are good for hoops, I devour that stuff, this is a tipping point now for them though. They have been many different entertaining things over the last couple years. But going forward they won't all work. Time to forge an identity. Probably better that Top Dogs isn't under F68 umbrella. So he personally can decide what he is on that pod.

Reaction Score

I mean no offense but you were also told by people that Kansas was backing off of Timberlake

August_West

Reaction Score
I would love for a Dauster or another college Bball insider/expert (whatever you want to call them) to discuss NIL and the real mechanics of how teams are using it to build their rosters without being vague. I've heard Goodman say on the Field of 68 podcast that Creighton has a "great NIL situation" but what does that even mean? What makes it a great situation? Is it a collective and if so how does that work. Who controls the money in the collective and how tied to the program is it?

Feels like when people were discussing NIL early on alot of the talk was about how most teams are already cheating and that NIL would level the playing field and bring all the shady activities into the open. In my opinion NIL is just as shady as it was a few years ago. No one knows where the money is coming from or how it gets distributed.
It will come. These guys are all scared about access, so they won’t rock the boat now. ( see Fanta and Goodman in Cooleygate) but there will be a new breed who speaks truth to power. Was hoping it was F68, but right now they’re embracing old model. It works for them now. No judgement there.

Reaction Score
On the pod Dauster confirmed there was an offer of $800K on the table for Sanogo. He was only disputing the Memphis rumors.

Reaction Score
On the pod Dauster confirmed there was an offer of $800K on the table for Sanogo. He was only disputing the Memphis rumors.
Sorry, I meant who was confirming the Memphis rumors of 800k? I saw the interaction on twitter with Dauster with people being adamant that Memphis made that offer, and really have not seen it corroborated at all other than people piggybacking off of twitter egg tweets

August_West

Reaction Score
We know it wasn’t Syracuse

Reaction Score

Yeah, I love Dauster and he's really knowledgeable, but there's no way that Jackson would be easier to replace on next year's roster. There isn't another college player out there next year that can replicate what Andre does for UConn. We're top 5 with a legitimate chance at the FF with him and probably a Sweet 16 (possibly better if the freshmen grow up quick and/or find more 3 pt shooters).

Reaction Score
I didn't agree with some of the takes (which is rare), seemed like he was trying to ease people's concerns over anything. But I appreciated the general message through it all which was pretty much: let's celebrate our win and let the staff handle the roster concerns. I agree whole heartedly on that one

I don't know about you all, but I'm 95% celebrating our championship and 5% worrying about the roster. I'll start to worry in 2 months if we still don't know what the squad looks like. Cruising until then

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m glad Dauster exists for the inside tidbits he occasionally shares during the off season(He was early on Alex). How anyone consumes anything F68 related for reasons outside of that, I’ll never understand.

Reaction Score
I didn't agree with some of the takes (which is rare), seemed like he was trying to ease people's concerns over anything. But I appreciated the general message through it all which was pretty much: let's celebrate our win and let the staff handle the roster concerns. I agree whole heartedly on that one

I don't know about you all, but I'm 95% celebrating our championship and 5% worrying about the roster. I'll start to worry in 2 months if we still don't know what the squad looks like. Cruising until then
My sentiments exactly. Roster construction, coaching strategie, funding is all done with the purpose of winning games and UConn reached the pinnacle in winning the 5th title is dominant fashion. Most fan bases never get to experience 1 title or even 1 FF. I am enjoying this to the fullest

Reaction Score

Since you didn't take the scolding on twitter well, do me a favor and look up what team Adama played AAU ball for, who ran that team at the time and where that coach is now. When you do that, you'll understand where the Memphis connection came from. I honestly don't know how real the Memphis interest is or was (my guess is it wasn't reciprocated since I didn't hear much about it from reliable sources) but they were not one of the schools I was referring to.

And to be frank, if you think that it's "disgusting" that programs were backchanneling for info on players that are rumored to be transferring "WHILE WE WERE STILL PLAYING" then you're showing just how little you really know about how college basketball works, and honestly, you might as well just stop watching college basketball because there isn't a coaching staff in America that you will deem acceptable. The basketball world is small, everyone knows everyone and it's not hard for A) the whole sport to find out when there's a chance a kid will portal, and B) for a staff to make clear to someone close to the player that an opportunity will be available should he actually portal.

You watched Adama play in March. Did he look like someone that was distracted or thinking about his next stop? No? OK, then.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I love Dauster and he's really knowledgeable, but there's no way that Jackson would be easier to replace on next year's roster. There isn't another college player out there next year that can replicate what Andre does for UConn. We're top 5 with a legitimate chance at the FF with him and probably a Sweet 16 (possibly better if the freshmen grow up quick and/or find more 3 pt shooters).
You're not replacing either of them by the time those decisions get made. My point was more that, come mid-to-late May when the portal has more or less been picked dry, it will be easier to find someone that can improve UConn defensively than it will be to find someone capable of doing the things Tristen did at the end of a clock the last two months of the season, especially with some of the long, athletic wings already on the roster.

Reaction Score
I give Mr. Dauster him a wide berth. I like him. He is a HUGE UConn fan, and he has also built a nice little College Hoops pod business for himself in the last 3 years Sometimes those two items are at odds with each other, and I get the impression that he still is having trouble reconciling the two. That's a fair challenge and I will give him the space to do that without totally dropping the hammer. Because, I mean, I think just this year on this board I called Dauster my spirit animal, and then maybe 2 weeks later I lightly hammered him. He and F68 are good for hoops, I devour that stuff, this is a tipping point now for them though. They have been many different entertaining things over the last couple years. But going forward they won't all work. Time to forge an identity. Probably better that Top Dogs isn't under F68 umbrella. So he personally can decide what he is on that pod.
Being a UConn fan really isn't an issue there. Most coaches appreciate the authenticity, and I save the uber-douchiness for TOP DOGS, so they don't see it lol

The difficult part is balancing being critical and maintaining a good enough relationship to get access, but for the overwhelming majority of those guys, as long as you're fair in your criticism -- as long as you do your homework -- they're good with it. The only time I really f-cked up with that this year was getting caught up in a convo and calling Auburn "the biggest frauds in the country". It got aggregated, front page on AL.com, and like three weeks later, we had Bruce Pearl on after a big win and he just broke my balls about it.

There has only been a single time that something said on After Dark has cost us access, and that only lasted for like three weeks. If it comes off as me trying to protect relationships when I decide not to go after a coach/player/whoever, it means I suck at my job more than anything else.

Reaction Score

We're in the process of putting a panel together to go through a lot of this. Look for it in late May or early June.

Reaction Score
You're not replacing either of them by the time those decisions get made. My point was more that, come mid-to-late May when the portal has more or less been picked dry, it will be easier to find someone that can improve UConn defensively than it will be to find someone capable of doing the things Tristen did at the end of a clock the last two months of the season, especially with some of the long, athletic wings already on the roster.
Yeah, I'm not expecting UConn to get anyone meaningful through the portal this year.. In terms of replacing Jackson or Newton, I meant more from returnees/freshmen. I still think we're in need of at least another shooter in the rotation.

Reaction Score

Pretty much this for me as well.

caw

Reaction Score

Seemed to me the Sanogo part wasn't about the possibility of the transfer being contingent on NIL, but NIL was discussed to highlight how Sanogo could possibly still get paid very well if he didn't go pro (potentially more in college). The possible transfer talk was more a contingency of Clingan being around.

I still don't understand how Hurley couldn't play both Clingan and Sanogo 26 a game, it's only about 6 minutes a half of overlap with Sanogo at the four, but perhaps neither side was even open to the possibility.

Just a guess but NIL and Timberlake comes off as sour grapes, regardless of the truth, unless he had a direct quote from someone very close to KU/UConn/Timberlake saying NIL was the reason and thus it's probably not wise to make the assumption and bring it up. I could be wrong though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom