Top Dogs Podcast: The art of rebuilding a roster and the NBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast: The art of rebuilding a roster and the NBA

Reaction Score
Since you didn't take the scolding on twitter well, do me a favor and look up what team Adama played AAU ball for, who ran that team at the time and where that coach is now. When you do that, you'll understand where the Memphis connection came from. I honestly don't know how real the Memphis interest is or was (my guess is it wasn't reciprocated since I didn't hear much about it from reliable sources) but they were not one of the schools I was referring to.

And to be frank, if you think that it's "disgusting" that programs were backchanneling for info on players that are rumored to be transferring "WHILE WE WERE STILL PLAYING" then you're showing just how little you really know about how college basketball works, and honestly, you might as well just stop watching college basketball because there isn't a coaching staff in America that you will deem acceptable. The basketball world is small, everyone knows everyone and it's not hard for A) the whole sport to find out when there's a chance a kid will portal, and B) for a staff to make clear to someone close to the player that an opportunity will be available should he actually portal.

You watched Adama play in March. Did he look like someone that was distracted or thinking about his next stop? No? OK, then.

We are in such an odd place w/ NIL coverage. I don't fault some random poster for "not knowing how college basketball works" but I see similar refrains from (often local) media and that is annoying. Meanwhile you guys openly talked about Davis and Martin getting contacted to leave mid tourney run. And the coach talking about how guys he thought were his friends are trying to poach his players who haven't expressed any interest in "portalling". Anyways, cool community you guys have built and kudos.

Reaction Score
Seemed to me the Sanogo part wasn't about the possibility of the transfer being contingent on NIL, but NIL was discussed to highlight how Sanogo could possibly still get paid very well if he didn't go pro (potentially more in college). The possible transfer talk was more a contingency of Clingan being around.

I still don't understand how Hurley couldn't play both Clingan and Sanogo 26 a game, it's only about 6 minutes a half of overlap with Sanogo at the four, but perhaps neither side was even open to the possibility.

Just a guess but NIL and Timberlake comes off as sour grapes, regardless of the truth, unless he had a direct quote from someone very close to KU/UConn/Timberlake saying NIL was the reason and thus it's probably not wise to make the assumption and bring it up. I could be wrong though.

Spot on.

I am imagining the discourse. "So we have it on good authority from GOUCONN, a long time Boneyarder and prolific Cesspool participant whose nephew played AAU hoops with Timberlake about a decade ago, that UNC and Kansas offered 250k and outbid UCONN and their paltry offer."

I have no reason not to believe GOUCONN but this is not exactly a sourced story.

Reaction Score
I mean no offense but you were also told by people that Kansas was backing off of Timberlake
That was by Kansas people, not from the UConn side. Matrim also gave the wink, and just about every "insider" here had Timberlake going to UConn.

Money talked in the end, a whole $250k of it.

Reaction Score
Since you didn't take the scolding on twitter well, do me a favor and look up what team Adama played AAU ball for, who ran that team at the time and where that coach is now. When you do that, you'll understand where the Memphis connection came from. I honestly don't know how real the Memphis interest is or was (my guess is it wasn't reciprocated since I didn't hear much about it from reliable sources) but they were not one of the schools I was referring to.

And to be frank, if you think that it's "disgusting" that programs were backchanneling for info on players that are rumored to be transferring "WHILE WE WERE STILL PLAYING" then you're showing just how little you really know about how college basketball works, and honestly, you might as well just stop watching college basketball because there isn't a coaching staff in America that you will deem acceptable. The basketball world is small, everyone knows everyone and it's not hard for A) the whole sport to find out when there's a chance a kid will portal, and B) for a staff to make clear to someone close to the player that an opportunity will be available should he actually portal.

You watched Adama play in March. Did he look like someone that was distracted or thinking about his next stop? No? OK, then.
Okay then Rob, why don't you tell us where the $800k offer was from if you are so adamant that it wasn't Memphis? Go ahead.

Reaction Score
You're not replacing either of them by the time those decisions get made. My point was more that, come mid-to-late May when the portal has more or less been picked dry, it will be easier to find someone that can improve UConn defensively than it will be to find someone capable of doing the things Tristen did at the end of a clock the last two months of the season, especially with some of the long, athletic wings already on the roster.
From a lineup construction basis, I agree that Tristen is more important than Jackson. I don't actually care about Newton's late clock stuff, because while I agree someone has to do it and that person should not be Jackson, over the season Newton wasn't especially efficient at it to begin with, and I'm confident Castle will be able to do it as well or better (the bar isn't especially high and from what I've seen he should be able to get to the rim or draw fouls if he needs to).

But Jackson instead of Newton means you're trotting out 3 below average or bad shooters in every lineup, possibly 4, depending on who we replace Newton's scholly with and how the freshmen translate as shooters. A Castle, Transfer/Diarra/Ball, Jackson, Karaban, DC lineup would be a potential disaster from a spacing perspective. Just swapping Newton for Jackson means you've at least added a little bit more spacing, on top of whomever else we bring in. Not to mention, Jackson's cutting from the high post or dunker's spot only really works because opponents couldn't sag off our other guard/wing shooters to help. If they're cheating over on the cut when DC gets double and not super concerned about closing out in recovery, Jackson is pretty screwed. And losing Jackson's passing is a loss, but we still have a passing rich lineup without him; Castle, Tristen, and Karaban are all very good passers... even DC I think will be a plus passer for his position, plus whomever you bring in or start at the 2.

However, all of that notwithstanding, the big Jackson benefit isn't really about the lineup. It's his intangibles, leadership, and captaincy. None of that is likely replaceable in the lineup or through a transfer, he's 1 of 1 in that regard. I would love, love, love if these 5 recruits coming in got at least 1 year under him to learn the ropes of the program. The answer of course is hoping both Jackson and Newton come back which obviously is the dream for UConn fans (but perhaps disappointing for those guys). Or maybe getting Jackson back and getting a poor or average-mans Newton-esque guy in the portal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being a UConn fan really isn't an issue there. Most coaches appreciate the authenticity, and I save the uber-douchiness for TOP DOGS, so they don't see it lol

The difficult part is balancing being critical and maintaining a good enough relationship to get access, but for the overwhelming majority of those guys, as long as you're fair in your criticism -- as long as you do your homework -- they're good with it. The only time I really f-cked up with that this year was getting caught up in a convo and calling Auburn "the biggest frauds in the country". It got aggregated, front page on AL.com, and like three weeks later, we had Bruce Pearl on after a big win and he just broke my balls about it.

There has only been a single time that something said on After Dark has cost us access, and that only lasted for like three weeks. If it comes off as me trying to protect relationships when I decide not to go after a coach/player/whoever, it means I suck at my job more than anything else.
You're always having to walk a tight rope when balancing critical analysis and trying to maintain access. If you're good at it (you are).. You'll get the respect from your subjects.. Wouldn't lose too much sleep about being right on Bruce Pearl.. Keep bringin' it.

Reaction Score
Okay then Rob, why don't you tell us where the $800k offer was from if you are so adamant that it wasn't Memphis? Go ahead.
A) Why would he burn his sources like that and B) Why are you so adamant on proving your "sources" are more knowledgeable than a public CBB figure? Why heckle one of the true UConn fans in the industry. I swear UConn fans just want the media to despise us sometimes

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
There has only been a single time that something said on After Dark has cost us access, and that only lasted for like three weeks. If it comes off as me trying to protect relationships when I decide not to go after a coach/player/whoever, it means I suck at my job more than anything else.

JQjTMPn.gif

:)

Nah but seriously you do hard job very well.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
However, all of that notwithstanding, the big Jackson benefit isn't really about the lineup. It's his intangibles, leadership, and captaincy. None of that is likely replaceable in the lineup or through a transfer, he's 1 of 1 in that regard. I would love, love, love if these 5 recruits coming in got at least 1 year under him to learn the ropes of the program. The answer of course is hoping both Jackson and Newton come back which obviously is the dream for UConn fans (but perhaps disappointing for those guys). Or maybe getting Jackson back and getting a poor or average-mans Newton-esque guy in the portal.

It's this. You put it well, but all you really needed to say is "It's Andre motherephing Jackson"

Rob should understand that better than anyone. He is the most unique impact player we have seen in all of college in a LONG time. He covers up a ton of issues in a non traditional way including the fact that we didn't have a PG this year :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom