Top Dogs Podcast: The Andre Jackson Conundrum | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast: The Andre Jackson Conundrum

Reaction Score
Wow, what a great podcast episode. I just listened to 30 minutes about where UConn is that I totally 100% agree with. That is not easy. I really suggest people give it a listen. He touched on two topics that I agree are the main keys for this team to be successful.

To me, even more than the Jackson part, the first part was about Newton. I believe the single most important thing that will determine how far this team goes is the play of Newton. This team needs a PG that is a THREAT to get to the rim. If he can make some threes that's a great bonus, but we need a PG that defenses have to worry about stopping. A great point he made was that lately Newton has gotten to line a LOT. In our first four losses, he was 0-0, 0-1, 0-0, 0-2 from the line. In the last 4 games, he's 28-31 from the line. Diarra and Alleyne CAN'T do what Newton can do. They are not options in large doses for a top team. When Newton is playing well, he makes the game easier for everyone on the team. He doesn't need to score 20, but he needs to be the guy that's going to burn teams in the lane if they don't stop him.

His second main point was Jackson. His main point was that Jackson's struggles on the offensive end and having teams not guard him is messing with him mentally, and affecting the rest of his game. I completely agree. Andre Jackson does not need to score much for this team to be successful. We just need him to be "Andre Jackson" His confidence is shot right now. Hurley has two choices, 1) Try to work with him and fix him, and 2) bench him a lot more. These two things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Just benching him however can't be an option. The team needs his defense that he can play and all the other intangibles he brings. Imagine the pressure the poor kid must be feeling. He's supposed to be an NBA player and teams are not guarding him. Hurley needs to figure out a way to use him offensively that includes less of him having the ball on the perimeter. I think they will figure it out, and he'll be back.

One last great point he made was that it was nice to see them try the two bigs at once. It will be nice for the team to have that in it's arsenal. I don't think it will work in long stretches and in many matchups, but it's good for it to be a threat in the right condition.

Great job Rob!
100%. If shooting was just about form, then Joey C would never miss. Both Jim Furyk and Tiger Woods are Hall of Fame golfers, and their swings couldn’t be more different. It’s about a consistent release point AND confidence. I believe both Andre and Joey C are suffering from a lack of confidence. The good news is that confidence is only 2 made 3s away.

And yes, over the summer AJ needs to work on release point consistency, but I believe the ship has sailed on trying to turn his form into Ray Allen’s.

Reaction Score
Great podcast. I agree with everything said. I think the fix is to find ways to get Andre a couple of easy buckets early to boost his confidence.

One thing I'd love to see them change up on O for Andre is what he does from the wing after making the entry pass to the post. Now, most often, he makes the pass in from the 3 pt line. He's good at the entry pass, so he should keep doing that. But, after, he tends to stay at that spot on the wing, and his defender drops down to harass our big with the ball on the block.

I'd love to see him cut through the lane (he often does do this when he makes the entry from the top of the lane) to the opposite corner at least taking his defender to the weak side block. Then, rotate Hawkins or Karaban or Newton or a legit 3-pt shooter to that spot on the wing that AJ left so their defender has to play them tight to defend the 3-ball threat. It would give more space to the big to operate and also give AJ a great place to look to get the offensive rebound or a backside alley-oop - maybe with a pin-down screen to help. Or, if his defender helps across the lane on our big, have our big pass to AJ cutting for the baseline slam.

Reaction Score
And that charge problem stems from the fact that defenses have a 10 foot space to get set in good defensive position because Jackson is getting the ball at the 3 point line. He needs to be at the foul line or within 15 feet of the hoop so the defense doesn't have that type of cushion on him to get ready to draw a charge. That is on Hurley to figure out where best to put him, because the 3 point line clearly isn't working.
I couldn’t agree more. This staff has to find ways to get such a massive physical talent easier buckets. It will be one of the biggest failures in program history to waste an athlete like Andre. He said they’ve worked on posting him up in practice, we need to see it in games.

Reaction Score
He had 8 rebounds and 4 assists last night, he still provides a lot of value despite being a poor offensive player. At the event last week he said he was going to start going to the hole more. The problem is he charges often when he does that. I still think the staff needs to get him more easy baskets down low with alley oops and post ups.

5 TOs kills us though versus a better team than Depaul. And go back to Xavier when he threw that awful alley oop to Sanogo while we were coming back, a guy that can't jump. That's a killer, not a turnover but it should be as there are too many bad decisions as of late. And his defense isn't Andre-like at all never have we seen him beaten off the dribble as we have lately and consistently.

Needs to get his head on straight period or DH needs to make some changes in the lineup.

Reaction Score
5 TOs kills us though versus a better team than Depaul. And go back to Xavier when he threw that awful alley oop to Sanogo while we were coming back, a guy that can't jump. That's a killer, not a turnover but it should be as there are too many bad decisions as of late. And his defense isn't Andre-like at all never have we seen him beaten off the dribble as we have lately and consistently.

Needs to get his head on straight period or DH vs needs to make some changes in the lineup.
Rough game with 5 TOs no doubt but his previous high was only 3. The TO you referenced vs Xavier was his only turnover in 25 minutes, he had 8 assists and only one turnover vs them the first meeting. Scoring is his clear weakness, picking on defense and assists seems silly, he’s not hurting us overall in those areas.

Reaction Score
Rough game with 5 TOs no doubt but his previous high was only 3. The TO you referenced vs Xavier was his only turnover in 25 minutes, he had 8 assists and only one turnover vs them the first meeting. Scoring is his clear weakness, picking on defense and assists seems silly, he’s not hurting us overall in those areas.

It’s not at all silly and anyone thinking his defense has been good isn’t watching closely. He is hurting us on that end as much as any others hence why we don’t play good man as of late.

Reaction Score

"I think it affects NBA players, probably NBA veteran players, when you're struggling to score," coach Dan Hurley pointed out. "Andre has flashed, at times, that guy that we just want him getting to the rim. When people play off you, you can still be an effective screener, still put the ball on the floor and impact the team. And then make a move at that soft defender that's on you."

Alternate free access:

Can UConn men’s basketball’s Andre Jackson break scoring slump? 'He's going to start to figure it out’

Reaction Score
It just comes down to being able to do in basketball what you practice/perfect in the off season. AJ has not shown the ability to make an effective offensive move inside the 3 point line directed at getting a mid range high % shot or a layup attempt (and this is a guy with elite athletics). This is something your average 12 year old basketball player learns.

I don't care what type of leader he is off the court when it comes to his on court performance, they are separate skills. His crazy, in your face act on court is not good leadership (and negatively impacts his over aggressive defensive play that leads to fouls/blow byes).

It's on Hurley for letting him develop this type of playing style over his almost 3 years at UConn and on AJ for settling for this type of skill development.

It is not team play to avoid the responsibility of making offensive plays that include making legit scoring attempts when the opportunity presents itself. He is putting all the scoring pressure on the other 4 guys on the court with him. The way he is playing AJ should get Diarra/Alleyne type minutes.

Can AJ change his offensive style of play for the better in 2023? Maybe, maybe not, but at least try. I for one liked his driving left hand layup attempt, even though it was a serious brick, that's the type of play he should be attempting when he has the opportunity/advantage (not the half ass pass attempt to Clingan at the rim that resulted in a turnover).

Reaction Score
It’s not at all silly and anyone thinking his defense has been good isn’t watching closely. He is hurting us on that end as much as any others hence why we don’t play good man as of late.
How was his D today Mau?

Reaction Score
How was his D today Mau?

Better. He did make some key errors you did see those as well right? First play of the game flying by on a ball fake leaving a wide open 3. The attempt to steal a pats at half court to Primo which led to an easy penetration and kick and the same thing about 2 minutes later which led to an easy basket. So if you’re trying to tell me he was great you’re very wrong. But he was better overall. And that rebound and great find to Karaban was huge. But no one’s guarding him it still hurts our offense tremendously.

Reaction Score
Better. He did make some key errors you did see those as well right? First play of the game flying by on a ball fake leaving a wide open 3. The attempt to steal a pats at half court to Primo which led to an easy penetration and kick and the same thing about 2 minutes later which led to an easy basket. So if you’re trying to tell me he was great you’re very wrong. But he was better overall. And that rebound and great find to Karaban was huge. But no one’s guarding him it still hurts our offense tremendously.
My question though for any Andre haters though is what’s a better solution? Alleyne? There’s a reason most of us get concerned when Andre goes to the bench with foul trouble,

Reaction Score
My question though for any Andre haters though is what’s a better solution? Alleyne? There’s a reason most of us get concerned when Andre goes to the bench with foul trouble,

Andre haters? That’s an ignorant comment but whatever. Doubt anyone hates Andre but if it makes you happy continue on with those thoughts. Andre played much better today but wasn’t very good at all the prior 3-4 games and there’s no arguing that.

What I hate is people who come flying out after he finally plays decent and throw stones. He was good, his 10 rebounds were big and his rebound and pass to Alex was huge.
Let’s see if he continues to get better before the people pound their chests for not “hating” him! Lol

Reaction Score
Andre haters? That’s an ignorant comment but whatever. Doubt anyone hates Andre but if it makes you happy continue on with those thoughts. Andre played much better today but wasn’t very good at all the prior 3-4 games and there’s no arguing that.

What I hate is people who come flying out after he finally plays decent and throw stones. He was good, his 10 rebounds were big and his rebound and pass to Alex was huge.
Let’s see if he continues to get better before the people pound their chests for not “hating” him! Lol
I’ve always been a supporter of Andre, not sure where the comes flying out part comes from. It’s also up to the staff though to set him up for success and not to have him shoot from outside too much. They finally threw him an alley oop yesterday, he had a good putback and even though he bricked two shots, it was encouraging to see him playing down low a little more.

And yes, people on here have actually said he should sit, which is asinine. If used correctly, he does many things to help the team win.

Reaction Score
Interesting quote from Jacque Vaughn about Ben Simmons usage. Ben & Andre are similar players imo, strong defense and playmaking but a liability on offense. Ben is much better at getting the rim and finishing so it’s not apples to apples but similar issues for the team.

SteelCT

Student of the Game
Reaction Score
When Andre is wide open in the corner, he needs to be cutting backdoor for the lob...especially when the ball is on the other side of the court. His defender generally loses track of him while helping in the lane. He did it one time during the GT game, but it was open +/- 10 times...I was screaming at the TV during the Creighton game when AK had the ball on the wing and Andre was wide open in the cross court corner. We used to run that all the time for Stanley (RIP). Any reason why we can't run that now with Andre? Maybe a better basketball mind sees it differently?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Coach, his teammates and Andre need to work on increasing his confidence. He should not be shooting threes if he doesn't feel confident in the shot. If it is in rhythm and he feels it...go ahead. When they sag off fifteen feet then he should take his time and take his regular shot: his regular shot at the hoop if from 15-17 feet straight on or use the glass from 15 feet and in from an angle and just aim at the upper, closer corner of the box on the backboard...once he makes a few his confidence will come back, and all of his game will improve.

Reaction Score
When Andre is wide open in the corner, he needs to be cutting backdoor for the lob...especially when the ball is on the other side of the court. His defender generally loses track of him while helping in the lane. He did it one time during the GT game, but it was open +/- 10 times...I was screaming at the TV during the Creighton game when AK had the ball on the wing and Andre was wide open in the cross court corner. We used to run that all the time for Stanley (RIP). Any reason why we can't run that now with Andre? Maybe a better basketball mind sees it differently?
Yeah, The lob is a spectacular play, but it will usually only work once or twice a game at most. I agree with you that I think it's mostly a mental or confidence thing. The key is getting him to make a few shots to get his confidence back. I think those need to be near the basket though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom