Top Dogs Podcast: The Andre Jackson Conundrum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs Podcast: The Andre Jackson Conundrum

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Both Sanogo and Clingan do well with finishing while cutting to the hoop.
I agree that having Andre hang around the perimeter is not effective, but wherever he goes it should be transitory and he should be ready to make more than one play from each location.
For example, flash to the foul line, receive a pass but then be ready to shoot the jumper, make a pass down low or make a pass back out. If the defender gives him the shot at the foul line, he has a good chance of making the shot but even if he does not, the big player down low has a good shot at the rebound.
If Andre flashes to the dunking position on the baseline and the defender ignores him then he is in position to get an alley-oop. If the defender stays somewhat close to him, then he could still receive a pass and then pass to the cutting big going to the hoop.

The worst manifestation of Andre's angst last night was when the wheels were falling off, DePaul was draining every shot, we were ice cold, the lead went down to single digits and then Andre drives right into the defender and rightfully gets called for the charge. If he took one dribble to take up a bit of space and shoots a 12-foot bank shot there, he very well could have made the shot, but Clingan was also right there for the rebound or tip.
He doesn't need to look smooth on offense, just be a bit more effective (facilitate for others without attempting highlight reel passes and make simple plays for himself).

Reaction Score
Wow, what a great podcast episode. I just listened to 30 minutes about where UConn is that I totally 100% agree with. That is not easy. I really suggest people give it a listen. He touched on two topics that I agree are the main keys for this team to be successful.

To me, even more than the Jackson part, the first part was about Newton. I believe the single most important thing that will determine how far this team goes is the play of Newton. This team needs a PG that is a THREAT to get to the rim. If he can make some threes that's a great bonus, but we need a PG that defenses have to worry about stopping. A great point he made was that lately Newton has gotten to line a LOT. In our first four losses, he was 0-0, 0-1, 0-0, 0-2 from the line. In the last 4 games, he's 28-31 from the line. Diarra and Alleyne CAN'T do what Newton can do. They are not options in large doses for a top team. When Newton is playing well, he makes the game easier for everyone on the team. He doesn't need to score 20, but he needs to be the guy that's going to burn teams in the lane if they don't stop him.

His second main point was Jackson. His main point was that Jackson's struggles on the offensive end and having teams not guard him is messing with him mentally, and affecting the rest of his game. I completely agree. Andre Jackson does not need to score much for this team to be successful. We just need him to be "Andre Jackson" His confidence is shot right now. Hurley has two choices, 1) Try to work with him and fix him, and 2) bench him a lot more. These two things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Just benching him however can't be an option. The team needs his defense that he can play and all the other intangibles he brings. Imagine the pressure the poor kid must be feeling. He's supposed to be an NBA player and teams are not guarding him. Hurley needs to figure out a way to use him offensively that includes less of him having the ball on the perimeter. I think they will figure it out, and he'll be back.

One last great point he made was that it was nice to see them try the two bigs at once. It will be nice for the team to have that in it's arsenal. I don't think it will work in long stretches and in many matchups, but it's good for it to be a threat in the right condition.

Great job Rob!

Reaction Score
His value to this team doesn’t and has never come from scoring. When he’s being Andre, he is legitimately the best on-ball defender in college basketball. That’s where his value is. He has the ability to completely blanket a teams best player so we are effectively playing a 4v4 game lol. The problem since the first Xavier game is that his struggles on offense have carried over to the defensive side. It’s mental.

There's a reason why analytical sites like EvanMiya have him rated as one of the top 10 best players in the entire country, even without his scoring ability

View attachment 83727
He had 8 rebounds and 4 assists last night, he still provides a lot of value despite being a poor offensive player. At the event last week he said he was going to start going to the hole more. The problem is he charges often when he does that. I still think the staff needs to get him more easy baskets down low with alley oops and post ups.

Reaction Score
I need to listen to a podcast to tell me that he can't shoot? To explain what I'm seeing with my own eyes? There's no one attacking AJax personally in any of these posts, everyone is calling him a good kid and hard worker, and some of us just want to post about him as a player without listening to the whole thing.
In the undefeated stretch we were all applauding him for doing all the other non-scoring things that were helping us win. We didn’t care that he wasn’t scoring because we were winning with him being the ultimate role player. We’ve lost that guy, partly due to criticism like the above, coming from every which way. I do suggest you listen to the podcast. Also drop the expectation that he was or is supposed to be a big time shooting threat.

Reaction Score
In the undefeated stretch we were all applauding him for doing all the other non-scoring things that were helping us win. We didn’t care that he wasn’t scoring because we were winning with him being the ultimate role player. We’ve lost that guy, partly due to criticism like the above, coming from every which way. I do suggest you listen to the podcast. Also drop the expectation that he was or is supposed to be a big time shooting threat.
I'll take a listen.

That said, I don't think anyone realistically had an expectation that he was going to be a big time shooting threat, but it's undeniable that he's a liability on offense now. When the team was firing on all cylinders it's true that he had a huge part in that with his passing and his defense, but now that teams know exactly what his offensive game is he's too predictable on offense and his defense has declined considerably. I'm sure, as you allude to the podcast suggesting, that his and the team's recent struggles have affected his game negatively, and I hope he can turn it around and return to being the ultimate role player that he was earlier in the year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Feel similar. Team needs Andre to get back to that killer mentality. I do agree that having teams simply leave you wide open from 3 could do a number on you psychologically, especially if you aren't a great shooter. I get what Viper is doing, keeping Maverick out there despite poor play. Trying to get his confidence back in training at Top gun so that he's back to form against North Korea. We need him to be the best form the Navy can be.

Great analogy reaching back to the original Top Gun.

Reaction Score
He had 8 rebounds and 4 assists last night, he still provides a lot of value despite being a poor offensive player. At the event last week he said he was going to start going to the hole more. The problem is he charges often when he does that. I still think the staff needs to get him more easy baskets down low with alley oops and post ups.
And that charge problem stems from the fact that defenses have a 10 foot space to get set in good defensive position because Jackson is getting the ball at the 3 point line. He needs to be at the foul line or within 15 feet of the hoop so the defense doesn't have that type of cushion on him to get ready to draw a charge. That is on Hurley to figure out where best to put him, because the 3 point line clearly isn't working.

Reaction Score
I'll take a listen.

That said, I don't think anyone realistically had an expectation that he was going to be a big time shooting threat, but it's undeniable that he's a liability on offense now. When the team was firing on all cylinders it's true that he had a huge part in that with his passing and his defense, but now that teams know exactly what his offensive game is he's too predictable on offense and his defense has declined considerably. I'm sure, as you allude to the podcast suggesting, that his and the team's recent struggles have affected his game negatively, and I hope he can turn it around and return to being the ultimate role player that he was earlier in the year.
Me too. 100%

Reaction Score
And that charge problem stems from the fact that defenses have a 10 foot space to get set in good defensive position because Jackson is getting the ball at the 3 point line. He needs to be at the foul line or within 15 feet of the hoop so the defense doesn't have that type of cushion on him to get ready to draw a charge. That is on Hurley to figure out where best to put him, because the 3 point line clearly isn't working.
But then we're clogging the lane for Sanogo/Clingan/Newton drives.

Reaction Score

Turn overs are the killer. He had more than assists last night. Trying to do too much. Just needs to play within himself.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I need to listen to a podcast to tell me that he can't shoot?
To explain what I'm seeing with my own eyes?
My answer to both questions you asked is, "No."

I'm glad that your interest has been piqued enough to say you'll give the podcast a listen.

If nothing else, doing so respects the intent signaled by the Title of the thread and the OP. Working from the same starting point creates an opportunity for fans to team up. We want it from the players, so why not from ourselves?

Reaction Score
In the undefeated stretch teams weren't playing him like they are playing him now. The sagging off of him didn't start till Big East play and that extra defender in the paint is making it more difficult for the offense. He/Coaching staff need to figure out a way to make him an offensive threat that is atleast respected by the other team.

To the second part...If you are at games and yelling or groaning when he misses a shot then I agree that is not helpful but to critique his play (not personal his play) on a message board feels like fair game.

Reaction Score
I'm not as worried about Andre putting the ball in the hoop as I am about the passing, rebounding, and defense.

The rebounding never went away so that's good.

The passing has been a mess. For every incredible pass he makes, there are 3 ill advised ones.

The defense has been OK but Javon Johnson went off last night and he was the only guy that needed to handled and didn't get the job done. He thrives in the full court press which was used sparingly if at all last night. This team continues to go under screens and get burned giving up open 3s. A couple times he did a good job on dribble penetration.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
My answer to both questions you asked is, "No."

I'm glad that your interest has been piqued enough to say you'll give the podcast a listen.

If nothing else, doing so respects the intent signaled by the Title of the thread and the OP. Working from the same starting point creates an opportunity for fans to team up. We want it from the players, so why not from ourselves?
didn't listen.
don't need to, cuz it's not a 'conundrum.'
ur 'superior fan' shtick, seemingly started after ur recent hospital tale, is lame.
mebbe u should change the accusation from 'casual fan' to 'shamelessly casual fan' like someone did over at the football board this past season.
don't break ur legs parachuting on another poster's thoughts so much. also lame.
boolah, boolah.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Wow, what a great podcast episode. I just listened to 30 minutes about where UConn is that I totally 100% agree with. That is not easy. I really suggest people give it a listen. He touched on two topics that I agree are the main keys for this team to be successful.

To me, even more than the Jackson part, the first part was about Newton. I believe the single most important thing that will determine how far this team goes is the play of Newton. This team needs a PG that is a THREAT to get to the rim. If he can make some threes that's a great bonus, but we need a PG that defenses have to worry about stopping. A great point he made was that lately Newton has gotten to line a LOT. In our first four losses, he was 0-0, 0-1, 0-0, 0-2 from the line. In the last 4 games, he's 28-31 from the line. Diarra and Alleyne CAN'T do what Newton can do. They are not options in large doses for a top team. When Newton is playing well, he makes the game easier for everyone on the team. He doesn't need to score 20, but he needs to be the guy that's going to burn teams in the lane if they don't stop him.

His second main point was Jackson. His main point was that Jackson's struggles on the offensive end and having teams not guard him is messing with him mentally, and affecting the rest of his game. I completely agree. Andre Jackson does not need to score much for this team to be successful. We just need him to be "Andre Jackson" His confidence is shot right now. Hurley has two choices, 1) Try to work with him and fix him, and 2) bench him a lot more. These two things are necessarily mutually exclusive. Just benching him however can't be an option. The team needs his defense that he can play and all the other intangibles he brings. Imagine the pressure the poor kid must be feeling. He's supposed to be an NBA player and teams are not guarding him. Hurley needs to figure out a way to use him offensively that includes less of him having the ball on the perimeter. I think they will figure it out, and he'll be back.

One last great point he made was that it was nice to see them try the two bigs at once. It will be nice for the team to have that in it's arsenal. I don't think it will work in long stretches and in many matchups, but it's good for it to be a threat in the right condition.

Great job Rob!

He’s always a good pod on all things uconn. He’s us. With just a smidge more mature restraint. :)

Reaction Score
In the undefeated stretch teams weren't playing him like they are playing him now. The sagging off of him didn't start till Big East play and that extra defender in the paint is making it more difficult for the offense. He/Coaching staff need to figure out a way to make him an offensive threat that is atleast respected by the other team.

To the second part...If you are at games and yelling or groaning when he misses a shot then I agree that is not helpful but to critique his play (not personal his play) on a message board feels like fair game.
Yes. Offensively he is not viewed as a shooting threat. But his defense has fallen off. Our defense has fallen off. We win some of these games if we play the defense we played early on. Check out @auror thread “what has changed”. But I do agree sagging off him has made him fang-less on offense.

To your 2nd point- i disagree. Some are under the assumption that these kids don’t read the media about themselves. They live on their phones and I guarantee they search themselves. Groans at a game when a shot is missed has been happening since the Mayans, fan sites and message boards where the fan base is supposed to support these kids are a newer thing and they aren’t that innocent. If he looks at the last day and a half of threads regarding his play do you think he is bolstered by our support? It’s not mild criticism but in most cases, pure bashing. (For one I site the posts calling for him to play football instead)

Reaction Score
But then we're clogging the lane for Sanogo/Clingan/Newton drives.
The defender guarding Jackson is already literally camping in the lane when Jackson is on the 3 point line so what difference does it make?

Reaction Score
The defender guarding Jackson is already literally camping in the lane when Jackson is on the 3 point line so what difference does it make?
Yeah I'm suggesting we do other things to draw that defender out, like using Jackson to set screens (or take him out entirely), instead of compounding the tight space.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m oversimplifying this, but why can’t we run a few lob plays each game to get him some easy dunks? We did it a few times earlier in the season and as our first play in a couple games IIRC. If we could get Newton (or any guard) to get into the paint and lob it up to Ajax we could have a little Hamilton to Brimah 2.0 action!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with Andre is he can't shoot, has no midrange pull-up game(see that ugly floater yesterday that he got bailed out with the foul on Sanogo under the basket) and isn't really adept at going to the rim and making layups as witnessed by his air ball on that one against Depaul in the first half. For someone with his handle it makes no sense that people on the staff haven't worked with his shooting technique at all. I love his energy and he does have a great handle but he is playing too wild at times on both sides of the court. He needs to control himself and play like Dennis Rodman and get his points close to the basket on missed shots or some posting up. Also, if way open on the 3 pt line he needs to drive and make his man commit and then dish to the big guys inside like he did with Sanogo in the second half. Right now his confidence seems to be very low due to his deficiencies and he is letting that bring down his overall game. We need the old Andre back.

Reaction Score
Exactly…he needs to be moving and closer to the hoop when someone gets him the ball. Expecting him to break a defender down from the 3pt line isn’t in his arsenal yet

Reaction Score
His value to this team doesn’t and has never come from scoring. When he’s being Andre, he is legitimately the best on-ball defender in college basketball. That’s where his value is. He has the ability to completely blanket a teams best player so we are effectively playing a 4v4 game lol. The problem since the first Xavier game is that his struggles on offense have carried over to the defensive side. It’s mental.

There's a reason why analytical sites like EvanMiya have him rated as one of the top 10 best players in the entire country, even without his scoring ability

View attachment 83727
On ball defender? The guy he was guarding scored Depaul's first 8 points of the game. Most of the quick guards in the BE, get right by him.

Reaction Score
On ball defender? The guy he was guarding scored Depaul's first 8 points of the game. Most of the quick guards in the BE, get right by him.
maybe read the first half of my sentence...it's obvious that he's playing like crap on defense right now. That doesn't change the fact that when he's playing like his normal self, he is arguably the best defender in the country.

Reaction Score
He brings up good points. Andre feeds on his defense, so when his defense isn't working, then it takes a lot out of both his game and the overall team's play

At this point I'm in a situation where I consider any shot that isn't a dunk as a bad shot. And unfortunately I think I'll feel that way until I consistently see him make the scoring plays that defenses invite. If he's missing threes (27% in BE play), at a certain point it stops being "keeping the defense honest" and it starts being "giving the defense exactly what they want". I think we're past that point now

Andre's greatest value comes from playing defense, grabbing boards, running breaks, and finding guys for good looks or hockey assists. When he's on his game in those fields, he's one of the most impactful players in the conference, maybe even country.

Don't get it twisted, Andre is extremely talented and extremely skilled. Probably one of the most unique players in program history. He's raw and unrefined, but very talented. Unfortunately raw and undefined is really tough to be in the Big East. It seems like it's hitting his confidence and mental state, especially after all the pressure he's already put on himself to be a leader of this team.

He'll need some help from Hurley to put him in positions to succeed. Shooting threes off of Sanogo doubles isn't that position. Maybe something similar to Creighton where he hangs out near the paint so Sanogo can operate 1v1 and Jackson is in the dunker's spot?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom