Top Dogs: Andre Jackson, UConn PG? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs: Andre Jackson, UConn PG?

Reaction Score
I wish Dan would tell us why he expects this to work. No matter how it’s span, it looks like a bold choice from an outside perspective. The Andre of last year with only some improvements would not be capable of filling this role, and now he has to come back from an injury on top of it. He must’ve looked amazing in practice.
To be honest I was saying last year he should’ve played this role. People told me I was crazy too lol. As much as I loved RJ Cole last year, he was better suited playing off the ball. He was our better shooters. His lack of athleticism was the thing that worked against him. He just wasn’t to much off a threat with the ball penetration. When he did he got blocked a lot. AJ was our best passer and had the athleticism to play at the rim. We gonna see, but I think it’s gonna work wonders. He gonna have to stay aggressive getting to that rim though. He is a flat out playmaker with the ball in his hands. His thing was it was more for others and not enough for himself.

Reaction Score
After listening to Rob's pod --And referencing his source's view of UConn in the scrimmage-- I was especially encouraged to hear that he thought our guys were tough/determined/boarding/passionate on the Defensive side of the ball. Great to hear from someone outside of our Program in the pre-season.. DH has been painting a much different picture about team toughness to the media/fans.

Reaction Score
He may have had the athleticism to play at the rim, but not the skillset. He relied on a crappy floater far too much because he had no touch last year. One of his biggest weaknesses was finishing at the rim in the half court.
That’s my point get to the rim. No skillset needed to lay it up, or dunk it. Everybody can lay it up.

Reaction Score
Where he plays on offense is less important than who he eliminates defensively. Probably the best defensive player in the country in at least five years. Just put him on the opponents best non center scorer. I like him as small forward offensively.

Reaction Score
That’s my point get to the rim. No skillset needed to lay it up, or dunk it. Everybody can lay it up.

That is absolutely not true. This isn't elementary school layup lines.

Reaction Score
Next step for AJ.. Using his athleticism to get to the hoop (with a better handle) for a "and one".. .Lanes will be wider and uncongested for his skills.. Our three point/long range proficiency will give him space to do his thing.

Reaction Score
He doesn’t have regular athleticism. He has top tier NBA athleticism.

I don't see why this is so hard to get. If you don't have touch, you can't make layups. Andre didn't have touch last year, hence not making his layups. He was terrible at them.

If it's just making layups, why did he spend all summer working on his finishing ability?

pj

Reaction Score
I don't see why this is so hard to get. If you don't have touch, you can't make layups. Andre didn't have touch last year, hence not making his layups. He was terrible at them.

If it's just making layups, why did he spend all summer working on his finishing ability?

Good point, a layup has a lot of variables in a physical interaction with high level athletes many of whom are bigger and stronger than you. You need a lot of reps against that kind of defense, and he probably didn't get it in Albany, and maybe didn't focus on it before last summer at UConn. But he has the foundation to be good at it. A summer of work might have transformed his finishes.

Reaction Score
Good point, a layup has a lot of variables in a physical interaction with high level athletes many of whom are bigger and stronger than you. You need a lot of reps against that kind of defense, and he probably didn't get it in Albany, and maybe didn't focus on it before last summer at UConn. But he has the foundation to be good at it. A summer of work might have transformed his finishes.

I doubt he'll ever have the touch of Jalen Adams or Bouk at the rim, but if he can just he servicable and draw a help defender it's going to open up his passing tremendously.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yes. Fingers crossed. We will soon find out about his progress last summer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Through 9 games Andre Jackson leads the team in APG at 4.8. He has just 8 fewer assists than Newtown despite playing in 3 less games and being limited in two.

His A/TO ratio is 4.8 to 1.4

Some bad takes in here looking back.
A whole lot of people stuck in the 90's or 00's. Our best offense happens when there are almost no dribbles. Ball moves much faster through the air.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom