Top Dogs: A Donovan Clingan interview, plus a not-so-secret scrimmage and practice reactions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Dogs: A Donovan Clingan interview, plus a not-so-secret scrimmage and practice reactions

Reaction Score
I listened to about half of the pod so far, and it seems like Rob isn't as high on the team as we all are. I could be wrong, and he could just be trying to temper expectations among the UConn crowd, but I get the sense he thinks we're more of a top 15-20 group than top 10 or 5.
He has some pretty strange takes.

It's also just one practice without our best player.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My opinion Donyell > Andre
DC likely never saw DM play
Probably has watched videos of Donyell. Doubt Donovan would argue with you that Andre was a better player than Donyell or disagree with posters in this thread that list other players ahead of Andre as better forwards.

His shout out to Andre was not exclusive to in game playing ability. Nor was it based on friendship. It was recognition of Andre’s role in developing team chemistry and Andre’s inspirational role in helping his teammates improve.

An argument can be made that he was as important in team development and team chemistry as any of the coaches.

Our best teams had a player that teammates respected and followed. Bazz, Kemba, Mek, Caron and Khalid preceded him in this important leadership category.

My biggest concern is that this years team might not have someone with that skill set.

The “In The Paint” episode about “dogs and lions” and the quote stating it’s better to have a lion leading sheep than lions being led by a sheep reflects DH’s concern as well. Hopefully a dog can step up to replace Andre.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Probably has watched videos of Donyell. Doubt Donovan would argue with you that Andre was a better player than Donyell or disagree with posters in this thread that list other players ahead of Andre as better forwards.

His shout out to Andre was not exclusive to in game playing ability. Nor was it based on friendship. It was recognition of Andre’s role in developing team chemistry and Andre’s inspirational role in helping his teammates improve.

An argument can be made that he was as important in team development and team chemistry as any of the coaches.

Our best teams had a player that teammates respected and followed. Bazz, Kemba, Mek, Caron and Khalid preceded him in this important leadership category.

My biggest concern is that this years team might not have someone with that skill set.

The “In The Paint” episode about “dogs and lions” and the quote stating it’s better to have a lion leading sheep than lions being led by a sheep reflects DH’s concern as well. Hopefully a dog can step up to replace Andre.
This is so true. It’s why I looked forward to Andre really being a leader on the team because you can just see how great of a leader he’d be from day 1. Just does whatever is needed to win and can make the plays too. Despite his scoring deficiencies, him being the playmaker he was added to him making those around him better.

Hoping Karaban or Clingan can be those lions this year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My opinion Donyell > Andre
DC likely never saw DM play
Well, he played with Ray and he's on the list. Andre's a champ and Donyell choked in the Sweet 16 because he was more interested in partying. I agree with Andre,

Reaction Score
The alert icon for a quote post from you should play a sad trombone.
Way to defend your position.

It's not anywhere near close. Donyell was a legitimate national player of the year candidate. Jackson was nowhere near that level.

Reaction Score
I listened to about half of the pod so far, and it seems like Rob isn't as high on the team as we all are. I could be wrong, and he could just be trying to temper expectations among the UConn crowd, but I get the sense he thinks we're more of a top 15-20 group than top 10 or 5.
He sometimes tries too hard to not be seen as a total homer, and it leads to bad takes like that.

Reaction Score
He’s always that way

Reaction Score
I think they were just quoting Alexander the Great and I didn't read too much into it. Although last year they were championing "We Season" and this year it seems to be all about "confidence is key" as the anthem. I can see Donovan stepping up into that Andre role since his personality seems as big as he is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I got murdered here for suggesting Rob tries too hard to be anti homer.
That's the UConn way! The worst UConn anti-homers are whoever is on the game clock.

Reaction Score
I listened to the whole thing and found rob to be captain obvious. Zero on any meaningful new insights. Should have pushed clingan to pick one surprise instead of everyone. Did not want to talk about secret scrimmage because he was not part of the secret? The frosh that showed up a month later is behind the others, shocking. I was looking for some insights, where was the beef?

Reaction Score

I agree with the comments that others we’re better than andre but lets give him credit for the leadership and many assists on closing recruits. Absolute top 5 best leaders and great person

Reaction Score
Start of the season in the 10-12 range. Ceiling to win another natty. A lot depends on the big fella’s foot and how the freshmen develop.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Start of the season in the 10-12 range. Ceiling to win another natty. A lot depends on the big fella’s foot and how the freshmen develop.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll be at the scrimmage tonight so I'm looking forward to getting a look myself.

Reaction Score
And he doesn’t have a broken shot. It’s not bad form, he’s just inconsistent. He doesn’t need to be a big time shooter here anyways, we have 3 guys who will be 38-40% from 3 already in the starting lineup.
Not only that but Ajax also wasnt great attacking the basket and scoring nevermind a midrange game. Castle does these things well.

Reaction Score
Rob is full of it. He tries so hard to not be a homer that he goes overboard and has this pissy negative take. I like FO68 as its entertaining but i have to admit ive only been watching since the tourney last season and thats been enough time to hear some of the worst takes ive ever heard not only on Uconn but cbb in general and that Goodman guy is an utter clown.

Reaction Score
Rob is full of it. He tries so hard to not be a homer that he goes overboard and has this pissy negative take.
I need you guys to make up your minds. I was a homer kissing Hurley’s ass per @aburks41 in January when I tried to tell you UConn was still really damn good, stay the course. Now I’m trying too hard to not be a homer when I say I think UConn is more top 12 good than top five good right now.

When you decide please let me know.

Reaction Score
I need you guys to make up your minds. I was a homer kissing Hurley’s ass per @aburks41 in January when I tried to tell you UConn was still really damn good, stay the course. Now I’m trying too hard to not be a homer when I say I think UConn is more top 12 good than top five good right now.

Well i dont know about all that as ive only made comments on you recently because i have not watched your show very long but in that time thats what ive gotten. Thats my take. Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction Score

Well clearly you were right then (because you agreed with me) and wrong now (because I disagree).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rob is full of it. He tries so hard to not be a homer that he goes overboard and has this pissy negative take. I like FO68 as its entertaining but i have to admit ive only been watching since the tourney last season and thats been enough time to hear some of the worst takes ive ever heard not only on Uconn but cbb in general and that Goodman guy is an utter clown.

I think this is a little too hard on Rob. I think we can all agree though that Goodman is a clown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom