Top 5 | The Boneyard

Top 5

Reaction Score
Well with Summer halfway gone and several big transfers now official who is your "Current" top 5?

I know we still have others waiting to announce, but thus far who is looking like the Top 5 for this upcoming season in your opinion?

Reaction Score
The same as the too early poll.

1. Oregon,
2. Baylor
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. Texas A&M
6. Oregon State
7. UConn
8. South Carolina

The main news in the upcoming months isn't the transfers who haven't announced (with Laska maybe being the exception), it's the NCAA deciding who is eligible and who will have to sit out. For instance, if Westbrook is eligible, UConn bumps up alot.

Reaction Score
The same as the too early poll.

1. Oregon,
2. Baylor
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. Texas A&M
6. Oregon State
7. UConn
8. South Carolina

The main news in the upcoming months isn't the transfers who haven't announced (with Laska maybe being the exception), it's the NCAA deciding who is eligible and who will have to sit out. For instance, if Westbrook is eligible, UConn bumps up alot.

Great point that I didn't consider.

Same with Oregon and Sedona also. I mean I know she won't be the impact that Westbrook will be, but that is a lot of skilled size.

Also isn't South Carolina putting in one for Littleton?

Reaction Score
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. UConn
4. Stanford
5. Maryland

I think UConn matches up better with UO than Baylor though.

Reaction Score
I would add that if Andrea Acquino can suit up this season, and, Kat Tudor is healthy, Oregon State is firmly in the top 10, perhaps Top 5.

Reaction Score
1. Baylor
2. Oregon
3. Texas A&M
4. Oregon State
5. South Carolina

Reaction Score
Right now? Before all eligibility of transfers is determined.

1a. Oregon
1b. Baylor

Everybody else.
Pretty much the truth at this time.

If Maryland can stay healthy, If their freshman class is a good as we hope they are. If Shakira Austin plays up to her potential. If Kaila Charles play like a top 5 pick in the WNBA all season long. If Blair Watson can regain her 2017 form before she got hurt and finally, if Maryland learns how to play well in the NCAA tournament, then Maryland can compete with Oregon and Baylor.

As you can see that is a lot of ifs.

Reaction Score

If Maryland can stay healthy, If their freshman class is a good as we hope they are. If Shakira Austin plays up to her potential. If Kaila Charles play like a top 5 pick in the WNBA all season long. If Blair Watson can regain her 2017 form before she got hurt and finally, if Maryland learns how to play well in the NCAA tournament, then Maryland can compete with Oregon and Baylor.

Yup, you have 6 "ifs" there. If you multiply the probabilities of each individual "if" happening, the overall probability may come out close to "0". For instance, if you felt the probability of each of these things happening was 50%, then the probability of all of them happening would be 1.6%.

60% each = 4.7%
70% each = 11.8%
80% each = 26.2%
90% each = 53.1%
Etc.

Reality = "Not likely"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. Connecticut
4. Maryland
5. Stanford

Reaction Score
Baylor
Stanford
Oregon
Texas AM
Maryland
Oregon State

Did six teams cause I think this is where the tier cuts off.

Even if Westbrook is eligible I don’t see UConn making the top tier this year. I’m a fan, just think they are second tier this year. With a good run they make the Elite Eight but the final four will be a challenge with who they have.

Reaction Score
This is the first year since I can remember that I have had a question mark on UConn. No I am not saying they are not top 10 or top 5 material. Just I am not sure where to place them. They also have a lot of question marks. Bringing in a lot of talent and well they do have the best Coach. I just think the two Sr's were relied on wayyyy to much by the underclassmen.

My "Ifs" for UCONN

If Westbrook gets NCCA approval
If ONO show's great improvement from Freshman year. "Was very raw and inexperienced obviously."
If Williams can play consistently close to how she played against ND last season.
If one of them Freshman can come make an impact.

If they do not win this year this will be the first class in years not leaving with a National Championship ring.

1a) Oregon
1b) Baylor
3-8 Oregon St, Maryland, Conn, A&M, SC, Stanford

Reaction Score
What about Miami or NCST?

I know Beatrice will be back for Miami
After the top 8 this is sort of the next tier.
Not in order:
Louisville
Notre Dame
NC State
Syracuse
Miami
Florida State
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State
Mississippi State
Tennessee

Reaction Score
After the top 8 this is sort of the next tier.
Not in order:
Louisville
Notre Dame
NC State
Syracuse
Miami
Florida State
UCLA
Texas
Ohio State
Mississippi State
Tennessee

I think some of them could jump into the top Top 8. They just need the season to start so we see how good or not good they will be.

Texas - Has Higgs, Sutton, and Holmes all returning as Sr Leaders.
Miami - Not sure what they lost, but they still have Mompremeir
Miss State- We know is Coached well, so I expect to hear some noise from them.

Those 3 jump off the page at me off that list. I'll be honest though don't know enough about the other's rosters to make a judgement.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Right now? Before all eligibility of transfers is determined.

1a. Oregon
1b. Baylor

Everybody else.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of teams are going to look like world beaters early versus a soft non-conference schedule, but I feel really good in my prediction that one of these teams will win the title, perhaps playing against one another.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think UConn matches up better with UO than Baylor though.

Oregon matched up well enough w/ Baylor in the National Semifinal game. That game went down to the wire.

Reaction Score
Oregon matched up well enough w/ Baylor in the National Semifinal game. That game went down to the wire.
Imagine if Baylor actually made 3’s in that game! We would have won by more. Not taking anything away from Oregon but next year Baylor will have more than 1 consistent outside shooter.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Imagine if Baylor actually made 3’s in that game! We would have won by more. Not taking anything away from Oregon but next year Baylor will have more than 1 consistent outside shooter.

Everybody can play that game. Oregon hit 12 3's but shot under 40% overall. Some of that was Baylor's D, some of that was just Oregon missing shots. Hebard wasn't 100% and Ionescu had a really poor shooting game. Oregon stayed close throughout despite not really playing all that well. Something to think about.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

And if Brenda has hired a new assistant who will coach the team, then it may fulfill its promise of a Final Four Team. Until then, she will underachieve.

Reaction Score
I just think that since Baylor has a better post than Oregon (Cox vs. Hebard isn’t even close IMO), I think UConn matches better with Oregon than they do against Baylor.

Reaction Score

1) Did she schedule tough non conference opponents this year?
2) Ashley Owusu will be a phenomenal lead guard

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I just think that since Baylor has a better post than Oregon (Cox vs. Hebard isn’t even close IMO), I think UConn matches better with Oregon than they do against Baylor.

Cox is certainly much more versatile. For brutally efficient low post scoring not many players in the country are better than Hebard. Anyway I think you have to look at the front courts as a unit, not just a 1 on 1 matchup. The last go around it was Brown/Hebard and Cox/Sabally, so a direct comparison of Cox and Hebard may be irrelevant.

edit:
I know stats are for losers, but Hebard has had a more productive career hands down. She played more as a Fr., their minutes have been almost identical the last 2 seasons. Big margin in points, rebounds and cavernous gulf in FG% in Hebard's favor. Big edge to Cox in assists and blocks, plus she's known as a very good defender generally speaking. Hebard is a non-entity when it comes to 3 point shooting, but Cox has only made 36 in 106 games at a .330 clip. That's not really that big of a factor. One made 3 every 3 games? Look at the overall FG%--.495 to .640. Cox hits FTs at a higher clip but Hebard has more attempts and more made. Like I said Cox is more versatile but there are things that Hebard does better. By a wide margin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The PAC-12 is going to be "kill, or be killed" this year. Roster "health" will ultimately decide the PAC-12 champions. If Stanford, Oregon, and OSU all remain healthy, then it is going to be a fun season to see who will come out on top. I know many believe Oregon is the clear favorite, but if Stanford and OSU have healthy rosters, any of the 3 can win the PAC-12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom