Top 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Top 5

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Very good analysis of your team rankings. The hardest team to pick in the top 5 is UConn because of the Westbrook situation. If Westbrook is not eligible, they are not a top 5 team imo.

Something people tend to overlook every year is that past success many times is an indicator of future success. Even if UCONN doesnt have n women's basketball we rarely see teams go from being Final Four teams or title contenders to dropping out of the top 10.
Very good analysis of your team rankings. The hardest team to pick in the top 5 is UConn because of the Westbrook situation. If Westbrook is not eligible, they are not a top 5 team imo.

When was the last time UCONN wasn't ranked in the top 5? Last time they weren't one of the last 4 teams standing was 12+ years ago. They also have a starting 5 consistenting of 2 former HS POYs, a senior PG who is coming off an AP AA HM season and a post player who was a top 5 recruit coming out of high school. They're top 5 until proven otherwise.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
How many SEC teams will be top 10 teams this next season? Most have several question marks.

What team doesn't have question marks aside from Oregon? SEC is going to be very good next year even if they don't have an obvious Final Four threat. They have:

Mississippi State-talented, deep roster. Vic has proven to be one of the elite coaches in the country at building teams and developing talent.

South Carolina-losing Cooper likely helps the GCs. They bring in the top class and have Final Four potential

Texas A&M-everyone is back and they have a bonified star in Carter. They should compete for a F4 spot.

Tennessee-they still have a very talented roster and a new coach who may breathe new life into the program. They also have a top recruit in Horston coming who could be a game changer.

Kentucky-Rhyne Howard was the NFOY and should build on a great first year. Two other starters are back and they also get Patterson who was a top 5 recruit coming out of HS who is eligible mid year.

Right there are 5 teams that very well could be Sweet 16 squads. Arkansas also has Dungee back which makes them dangerous. SEC is good. I'd rank them the 2nd best conference after the PAC with the ACC not as top heavy.

Reaction Score
One thing I’m interested in seeing is who gets seeded where....

The four regional sites are Dallas, Portland, Fort Wayne, and Greenville. I think everyone can agree Oregon and Baylor will likely be in Dallas and Portland but who has the upper hand for Fort Wayne and Greenville?

I would love to see A&M and Baylor matched up in the EE in Dallas to reach NOLA. That game would be an intense game with a rivalry renewed and could be a barn burner. It would be good if Oregon and Oregon St could meet in a civil war EE game but its highly unlikely that both team are in the same region, but one can wish.

Fort Wayne is closer to Storrs than Greenville so will UConn be sent there and possibly have to play ND or Louisville? Should SC be a 1 seed and be placed in Greenville they would likely have to travel less than 200 miles to reach New Orleans.

It’s way too early for FF talk but that’s a scenario that’ll be one to watch for this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
One thing I’m interested in seeing is who gets seeded where....

The four regional sites are Dallas, Portland, Fort Wayne, and Greenville. I think everyone can agree Oregon and Baylor will likely be in Dallas and Portland but who has the upper hand for Fort Wayne and Greenville?

I would love to see A&M and Baylor matched up in the EE in Dallas to reach NOLA. That game would be an intense game with a rivalry renewed and could be a barn burner. It would be good if Oregon and Oregon St could meet in a civil war EE game but its highly unlikely that both team are in the same region, but one can wish.

Fort Wayne is closer to Storrs than Greenville so will UConn be sent there and possibly have to play ND or Louisville? Should SC be a 1 seed and be placed in Greenville they would likely have to travel less than 200 miles to reach New Orleans.

It’s way too early for FF talk but that’s a scenario that’ll be one to watch for this year.
A&M-Baylor could well be a Dallas matchup, assuming they don't end up on the same seed line.

Oregon State and Oregon won't be playing each other until the Final Four. The chances of either team finishing outside the top 4 in the Pac-12 are snowball-in-hell-size.

Reaction Score
A&M-Baylor could well be a Dallas matchup, assuming they don't end up on the same seed line.

Oregon State and Oregon won't be playing each other until the Final Four. The chances of either team finishing outside the top 4 in the Pac-12 are snowball-in-hell-size.

I think the committee drops the ball a lot when it comes to setting up the best matchups possible for each region. Last year was the first year where I felt like every EE game could go either way except Iowa vs. Baylor. If we get more matchups like that then the ratings and attendance will certainly rise higher.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I think the committee drops the ball a lot when it comes to setting up the best matchups possible for each region. Last year was the first year where I felt like every EE game could go either way except Iowa vs. Baylor. If we get more matchups like that then the ratings and attendance will certainly rise higher.

It's all about location rather than matchups, although I did like the regional breakdown a year ago. Fort Wayne spells big advantage for Louisville, Kentucky or ND if any of them are good. I bet UCONN nabs the 1 there, possibly Maryland. Greenville likely hosts South Carolina wherever they get seeded.

Reaction Score
It's all about location rather than matchups, although I did like the regional breakdown a year ago. Fort Wayne spells big advantage for Louisville, Kentucky or ND if any of them are good. I bet UCONN nabs the 1 there, possibly Maryland. Greenville likely hosts South Carolina wherever they get seeded.

Would be big if UConn plays ND or one of the Kentucky teams. Maryland could be a 1 seed there or get Greenville depends on how good they are. I agree SC will likely be in Greenville regardless just don’t know who they might face.

Reaction Score

Agreed! However, a Baylor - A&M matchup could be fun to see.

Reaction Score
The same as the too early poll.

1. Oregon,
2. Baylor
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. Texas A&M
6. Oregon State
7. UConn
8. South Carolina

The main news in the upcoming months isn't the transfers who haven't announced (with Laska maybe being the exception), it's the NCAA deciding who is eligible and who will have to sit out. For instance, if Westbrook is eligible, UConn bumps up alot.

You really think there are 6 better teams than UConn? Not a chance! I know you are a fan/homer but, Maryland at #4 is laughable at best.

Reaction Score
Maryland at #4 is laughable at best.

They have the talent to be a top 5 team but I doubt Brenda's coaching gets them their unfortunately. As a general basketball fan its annoying to watch teams full of talent not play to their capabilities.

Its pretty obvious who should be the #1 and #2 teams early, then you have a core group of teams (UCONN, Stanford, Maryland, Oregon State, A&M and SC) who round out the rest of the top 10.

1. Oregon (enough said)
2. Baylor (Return 3 of 5 starters, super sophomore class expected to expand roles)
3. UCONN (not as good as year past but until proven otherwise, very top heavy talent, thinner on depth)
4. Oregon St (return Slocum, Pivec, Tudor, Goodman, talented underclassmen)
5. A&M (add healthy Wilson back, a team of essentially all sophomores a year older, hopefully a Carter more under control)

Teams to watch:

Maryland
Stanford
South Carolina
Miss St
Notre Dame

Reaction Score
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. UCONN
4. Maryland
5. NC State (people are sleeping on them!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1. Oregon
2. Baylor
3. UCONN
4. Maryland
5. NC State (people are sleeping on them!)

Too many question marks concerning players returning from ACL's to be ranked that high in the preseason. Plus their projected starting PG Eailey (sp) tore her other ACL during the 3X3 tournament in the spring.

Reaction Score
FIFY. He often doesn't. This ranking is dated April 22. Rosters have changed.
Including Maryland's. So I guess there are several team who have surpassed Maryland in the past three months.

Reaction Score
Too many question marks concerning players returning from ACL's to be ranked that high in the preseason. Plus their projected starting PG Eailey (sp) tore her other ACL during the 3X3 tournament in the spring.
They had a depleted roster last year and we're still top 10. I'm optimistic with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom