OT: - Top 5 Rappers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Top 5 Rappers

Reaction Score
Just going off Wu solo albums Liquid Swords, Ironman, and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx are superior to any album Eminem ever made, IMO.

Ironman and Cuban Linx have stayed in the rotation for 20 years. I used to have a remixed version of Iron Man - I can't remember the DJ - that was probably the best front to back mixtape I've ever heard.

Reaction Score
Just going off Wu solo albums Liquid Swords, Ironman, and Only Built 4 Cuban Linx are superior to any album Eminem ever made, IMO.
Liquid Swords and Cuban Linx are actually Wu albums under solo names. Don't know enough of Ironman.

How about ICP??

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How about ICP??

If we are going there, I vote for Snow. You can't tell me young Eminem didn't listen to Informer and just build on that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't have Eminem in their top 10... I mean cmon, you don't actually believe that.

Reaction Score
If you saw how hiphop was born and evolved then regressed you would be disgusted too.
older doesn’t mean better. some believed kurt cobain was ruining rock when nirvana dropped.

Reaction Score
If we are going there, I vote for Snow. You can't tell me young Eminem didn't listen to Informer and just build on that.
We already are there. I mean, Drake? Snow is even better than Drake.

Reaction Score
older doesn’t mean better. some believed kurt cobain was ruining rock when nirvana dropped.
I've been into heavy metal since 1982. Metal has run it's course. Finished. But they sure came up with solid stuff during that run.

Musical movements peak, then decline and die out. Welcome to history. Everything else is just revival, etc.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't have Eminem in their top 10... I mean cmon, you don't actually believe that.
RZA, GZA, Ghostface Killah, ODB, Raekwon, Method Man, Tupac, Jay Z, B.I.G., Dr Dre.

Theres at least 10 who are better. Notice they are all African Americans. Eminem sounds like he is holding his nose while he raps.

Reaction Score
Big
Jay Z
Eminem
Nas
Rakim
Kendrick
Jadakiss
Black Thought
Andre 3000
Redman
Method Man
Raekwon
Tupac

Reaction Score
Rap got huge just a few years late for me to be all-in like a lot of folks. By the time it was really taking off, I was in grad school and super busy and not really catching much new music.
While not a huge rap fan, I have appreciated rap through the years, all the way up to recent times.
Regarding "best ever," why do so many people take these things as objective? It's really quite funny to me. Clearly everybody has different tastes. Why give somebody else crap about his/her top 5?
Regarding Eminem, he's going to polarize on any list. He's white in a black art. Some people will hate him for that, and some will love him for that. He won't be fairly assessed either way in this world - maybe in a few hundred years.

Even for music forms that I don't particularly like (e.g. Jazz), I generally understand the appeal. I see the talent. I understand that somebody else will find the music entertaining.

There's one exception to that. It's in rap.
It's Drake.
I've listened to a bunch of his stuff and there's not one song that I've listened to that compels me to think, "I understand why people would like that."
People can argue about rise and fall of rap and all that, and I don't know what meaning to give it in that regard.
I just know I can't figure it out. Certainly could be me.

Reaction Score
Rap got huge just a few years late for me to be all-in like a lot of folks. By the time it was really taking off, I was in grad school and super busy and not really catching much new music.
While not a huge rap fan, I have appreciated rap through the years, all the way up to recent times.
Regarding "best ever," why do so many people take these things as objective? It's really quite funny to me. Clearly everybody has different tastes. Why give somebody else crap about his/her top 5?
Regarding Eminem, he's going to polarize on any list. He's white in a black art. Some people will hate him for that, and some will love him for that. He won't be fairly assessed either way in this world - maybe in a few hundred years.

Even for music forms that I don't particularly like (e.g. Jazz), I generally understand the appeal. I see the talent. I understand that somebody else will find the music entertaining.

There's one exception to that. It's in rap.
It's Drake.
I've listened to a bunch of his stuff and there's not one song that I've listened to that compels me to think, "I understand why people would like that."
People can argue about rise and fall of rap and all that, and I don't know what meaning to give it in that regard.
I just know I can't figure it out. Certainly could be me.
Black art form but there are tons of great white rappers. Eminem was a struggling one, he had the talent but there are others who also had it, Dre made him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Black art form but there are tons of great white rappers. Eminem was a struggling one, he had the talent but there are others who also had it, Dre made him.
Dylan was arguably the first, black or white:

Reaction Score

No he's not. It's not even arguable. Black musicians were rapping in blues songs 15 years before Dylan made that song. The blues were around long before 1965. Google Joe Hill Louis "Gotta Let You Go", and he may not be the first.

Last edited:

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score

Many have said that the combination of The Last Poets, George Clinton, Dolomite and Jazz fueled hip hop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom