Top 5 Husky dunkers of all-time. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Top 5 Husky dunkers of all-time.

Reaction Score
So soon we forget Kirk King. He had a couple that were up there (pun intended) with the afore mentioned great dunks. And to add one more Scotty within the space of two minutes blocked a shot by Motumbo and then dunked over him. JC said at one point that Scotty was the best athlete he ever coached.

Reaction Score
Not to be a party pooper but Burrell jumped over RRodgers and stole the ball. It wasn’t a dunk but it was in ACC-BE challenge.

My recollection of Scotty’s last year is they weren’t a great team, but Burrell would get one alley oop to highlight every game.
My top 5
Burrell
Sticks
Donyell
Ray
Boat

Honorable mention TRob for best dunk ever

I think Calhoun used to let his warrior players highlight their potential NBA position in their senior year. Burrell became more of an outside shooting 2 guard his senior year. The same think happened with K Free. He was a warrior down low, but he had no shot at the NBA with that game. His senior year I remember him playing outside the paint a lot more.

Re Burrell's athleticism, I played tennis with a number of the players in 1992. All were decent guys. Most were terrible at tennis regardless of being D1 athletes. It was clear that Burrell was the most natural athlete of all of them. I tried to lob over him once... once.

Someone stated that he remembered Toraino's famous dunk seeming more spectacular. I remember that one, and Burrell's alley oop at the first Gampel St. John's game being fantastic, but I agree that they seem more commonplace in highlights. My theory is that: i) there were a lot less highlight dunks back in the early 90s; and ii) Calhoun's teams, in particular, back then didn't dunk as much as other teams. I know he didn't tell them not to dunk, but I'm assuming if they missed they knew they'd get the treatment (probably right on the court).

Reaction Score
Trying to bring this post back to the top - when all said and done do we think Bouk will join the list of top 5 dunkers in UConn history? I think he’s well on his way already..

Reaction Score
In no particular order:
Norman Bailey
Stanley Robinson
Ray Allen
Tony Robertson
Rudy Gay

Honorable Mentions:
Jeremy Lamb for that baseline dunk over a Columbia poster victim.
Ryan Boatright, best dunker pound-for-pound.
Can't believe I had to get to page 3 to see some love for the boat show!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was going to him. Many of us remember ESPN using his dunk against BC as part of the game opening montage for most of a season.
It was their Dunk of the Year that year.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Billy Gray, from, I think, Hillhouse. Was here when Shable was coaching. “Could take a quarter off the top of the backboard.”
Basketball Jones could do that and leave 15 cents change!

Reaction Score
In the old school category: Art Quimby, Toby Kimball, Bill Corley, John Thomas, Corny Thompson.
Not sure Corley was allowed to dunk... Lew Alcindor (Kareem) law.

Reaction Score
although great dunker, i thought robinson was clunky

Reaction Score
Exactly! Anyone that doesn't have Donyell #1 is either a baby or is suffering from memory loss. Sticks, Rudy and Ray are up there as well. Tough call on #5 but, yeah, Burell was wicked athletic.
donyell had some great dunks but to me a shade below Rudy ray and stixxx

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
donyell had some great dunks but to me a shade below Rudy ray and stixxx
In terms of pure dunking, Rudy and Stix are in there own convo (not counting pre-donyell era players on whom I cant comment). Period.

Those two were unstoppable on that inbounds lob under the hoop (I'm partial to Rudy). Watching them run that play to Akok this season didn't do it justice.

Looks like Jackson will add himself to that Rudy/Stix convo. I hope they run that play for him regularly next year.

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot of the names listed here, although I think Sticks is #1. When all said and done, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bouk and Andre are in the discussion as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom