Top 5 Big East Freshmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SG Omar Calhoun
College: Connecticut
Hometown/High school: Brooklyn, N.Y./Christ the King
Notes: Ranked No. 32 overall in ESPN 100; seventh-best SG

Calhoun was the fifth-highest rated recruit to commit to a Big East school last year, but there might not be another freshman in the conference with a greater opportunity to make an immediate impact. The rebuilding Huskies will be a perimeter-oriented team, and guardsShabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and Calhoun and going to be the primary playmakers. If Connecticut plays more of a drive-and-kick style this season, Calhoun will benefit because he's the type of guy who can make 3-pointers in bunches as well as get into the lane against running defenders.
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...east-top-five-incoming-freshmen-2013-recruits

Reaction Score
I feel better about losing out on XRM when I take a look at the guards on our roster. If Omar, Shabazz, and Boat all come back next year (which they should) I think we have a top 3 backcourt in the country. There have been a lot of reports from practice that Omar might be the best overall player on the team, and I love that he's from Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
If we can get a little more front court help (Voneh?) or Facey is ready to contribute we can be a FF contender.

I feel better about losing out on XRM when I take a look at the guards on our roster. If Omar, Shabazz, and Boat all come back next year (which they should) I think we have a top 3 backcourt in the country. There have been a lot of reports from practice that Omar might be the best overall player on the team, and I love that he's from Brooklyn.

Reaction Score
If we can get a little more front court help (Voneh?) or Facey is ready to contribute we can be a FF contender.

I think so, and I also feel Olander will be one of the better bigs in the Beast next season. If Cooley on ND is preseason first team Olander can make it.

Reaction Score
I think so, and I also feel Olander will be one of the better bigs in the Beast next season. If Cooley on ND is preseason first team Olander can make it.

Careful. Jack Cooley averaged 13, 9, and 2 blocks last year. Do you expect that from Olander this year?

Reaction Score
Careful. Jack Cooley averaged 13, 9, and 2 blocks last year. Do you expect that from Olander this year?

That is a very fair point HBF, but I also remember him being a complete stiff the 2 years before. He is clearly a good player and I like him. He just doesn't look the part of a BE first teamer. I think Olander is a much better shooter and has the work ethic to be a late bloomer, much like Cooley. I just think TO has a higher ceiling

Reaction Score
One of the better Bigs in the BEAST? Love the optimism but calm down on that he has barely shown he can contribute in his two years here and has very little consistency...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
One of the better Bigs in the BEAST? Love the optimism but calm down on that he has barely shown he can contribute in his two years here and has very little consistency...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah but he was our 2nd best big man last year after AD.......can make a jumper and pass the ball......needs to get better with his feet on both ends but supposedly worked on that......honestly him staying and being part of the team is better than having AO here and its not close.........he'll be fine!!

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score

What's the deal with Boat? Someone said he was looking at leaving for the NBA this year? He's still a project.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What's the deal with Boat? Someone said he was looking at leaving for the NBA this year? He's still a project.
Boat might be a little out of control at times but I wouldn't call him a project. JMO. And I think this year we will see a pretty big jump in overall composure and consistency from him. Only thing keeping him here longer that two years will be his size. He's gonna need to have a Kemba type year to warrant leaving after this year.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Project is an arbitrary word in this case, probably the wrong one. It's a project to get a guy his size to play in the NBA, where few guys his size are making any noise.

Reaction Score
Project is an arbitrary word in this case, probably the wrong one. It's a project to get a guy his size to play in the NBA, where few guys his size are making any noise.

That makes more sense.........he's a kid with a dream and there's nothing wrong with that. Showed signs of great ability but needs to control these more consistently. With him there could be a breakout year at any time, whether that will warrant NBA attention who knows. Maybe this year maybe in 2 or 3 but he will certainly get a real hard look at some point. I agree the size may keep him an extra year or 2 but hey, looking to get there is fine as long as you're dong all your schoolwork in the meantime and thinking of the team when you're on the court!! I doubt that's an issue either he seems to be fully focused on leading this team with Bazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom