Top 3 or 4 players in Next Years WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

Top 3 or 4 players in Next Years WNBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Who are your top 3 or 4 players in next years WNBA Draft. Do Stef or Bria end up in the Top 3 or are they 4 or lower. Presume Stef and Bria are completely healthy. Is next years Draft stronger then this years draft even though there doesn't appear to be dominant players like Griner or EDD available. I've left Skylar off as IMHO Sims will end up as a better PG then Skylar will be. Chiney is probably draft first but depending on the team, I could see a team taking Sims first.

Top Players seem to be Chiney Ogwumike, Odyssey Sims, Alyssa Thomas, Chelsea Grey, Stef Dolson, Bria Hartley, Kayla McBride. Some might have Maggie Lucas, Shoni Schimmel, Aaryn Ellenberg or Jordan Hooper included in the list. I'm sure there are others that I've missed that should be included.

Reaction Score
Stef goes in 1st 4, she is talented, and you can't teach size, and heart.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine Stef dropping below 3...for Bria, this year will be very important...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
hmmmm....good thing this is a mock draft. They have Samarie Walker's school listed as Connecticut.

Also, if Bria brings back her AA game, would she go so late in the draft (behind Gray and Lucas)?

Reaction Score
Surprised Walker is so high; she has not progressed as much as I thought she would.
I think Simmons could go higher. Inher current role, she's given way too much latitude, but if her focus were narrowed to just being a role player to hit 3s when she's hot, I think she could be valuable. And you can't teach that speed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
hmmmm....good thing this is a mock draft. They have Samarie Walker's school listed as Connecticut.

Also, if Bria brings back her AA game, would she go so late in the draft (behind Gray and Lucas)?
That's a really good question. I think Gray is a premier PG. She's really fantastic. I could see her going ahead of Bria (Sims as well), who excels way more as a 2G than a 1G. A lot will depend on the kind of senior season she has. Given the talent on the team, I could see her averaging about 15 PPG and people may look at that as a 2G numbers and think players like Lucas, Thomas, etc. are better options (not that Thomas plays the 2G, but still...)... And I certainly don't see Walker going that high. Maybe towards the middle to end of the 2nd round. She's a nice player, but tiny for the post and has no outside game...

As for Simmons, look at players who are volume shooters. Sugar Rogers, maybe Prahalis, and I'm not sure of others. Those kids were the best on their teams, but needed to take a boatload of shots to get their points. Doesn't bode well for the pros. Also, I don't think Simmons has ever made a US National team she's tried out for. I could actually see her going quite a bit lower as i'm not sure what teams need a really skinny shooting guard who never met a shot she didn't like. And if the reason she never made the US National teams was due to a selfish shooting nature, that won't work in the pros.

BTW Tiff is the #4 sophomore in scoring, right behind Ogwumike. Love seeing her do so well. 2nd round pick? good grief. Kelly Cain to NYL at #5? Worst top 5 draft pick ever. Or close to it. Just awful.

Reaction Score
As for Simmons, look at players who are volume shooters. Sugar Rogers, maybe Prahalis, and I'm not sure of others. Those kids were the best on their teams, but needed to take a boatload of shots to get their points. Doesn't bode well for the pros. Also, I don't think Simmons has ever made a US National team she's tried out for. I could actually see her going quite a bit lower as i'm not sure what teams need a really skinny shooting guard who never met a shot she didn't like. And if the reason she never made the US National teams was due to a selfish shooting nature, that won't work in the pros.

As I said,Simmons is a streaky shooter. If used in a limited role, when hot, she can be effective.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I said,Simmons is a streaky shooter. If used in a limited role, when hot, she can be effective.
Very true, but the WNBA is so small and so competitive that "limited role" players don't seem to last very long. But who knows - the WNBA execs have certainly made head scratching draft decisions, and many times in hindsight, were really dumb. No telling where Simmons might go!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
After looking at the Mock Draft, I feel Gennifer Brandon would be a drafted much higher than her current position. I think I would take her over Samarie and possibly Achonwa.

Reaction Score
Maggie Lucas ahead of Alyssa Thomas? You have got to be kidding. Who came up with this nonsense? Samarie Walker before Natalie Ochonwa. Not happening. This person doesn't have a clue about basketball. This mock draft is daft.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Simmons could go higher. Inher current role, she's given way too much latitude, but if her focus were narrowed to just being a role player to hit 3s when she's hot, I think she could be valuable. And you can't teach that speed.[/quote]
If she does go to the Storm. She will be teammates with Stricklen again. I wonder how many WNBA players have her speed.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think Simmons could go higher. Inher current role, she's given way too much latitude, but if her focus were narrowed to just being a role player to hit 3s when she's hot, I think she could be valuable. And you can't teach that speed.
If she does go to the Storm. She will be teammates with Stricklen again. I wonder how many WNBA players have her speed.[/quote]
More than have her gunner mentality.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ellenburg from OU would be top 10 in my book. She is a great three point shooter and also has a tremendous shot off the dribble and can create her own shot.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting topic!

To answer the question I think (right now) the top 3-4 would be Chiney Ogwumike, Odessey Sims, Alyssia Thomas, and Stefanie Dolson in no particular order.

I think the draft order will determine 2-4 IMO.

Chiney should go first but after that it could very easily depend on need. If I have the #2 draft pick and I need a PG then I go for Sims! If I'm lacking a post presence then Dolson. If I have both of those covered put want a skilled 3-4 player I think I would go for Thomas!

I think depending on how the season goes because a player can always emerge and while I think Chiney will be the #1 pick, a lot can change.

I think how Chelsea Gray comes back from injury and plays her senior season could help push her WNBA stock. She is a 5-11 PG who can pass and shoot!

I don't think Maggie Lucas will b in the top 3-4 but should b top 10. I also think Schimmel will be the top 5-6 as well.

Can't wait for the 2013-2014 season!

Another exciting season for WCBB in 2013-2014.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
That's a really good question. I think Gray is a premier PG. She's really fantastic. I could see her going ahead of Bria (Sims as well), who excels way more as a 2G than a 1G. A lot will depend on the kind of senior season she has. Given the talent on the team, I could see her averaging about 15 PPG and people may look at that as a 2G numbers and think players like Lucas, Thomas, etc. are better options (not that Thomas plays the 2G, but still...)... And I certainly don't see Walker going that high. Maybe towards the middle to end of the 2nd round. She's a nice player, but tiny for the post and has no outside game...

BTW Tiff is the #4 sophomore in scoring, right behind Ogwumike. Love seeing her do so well. 2nd round pick? good grief. Kelly Cain to NYL at #5? Worst top 5 draft pick ever. Or close to it. Just awful.

Cain was taken 7th. Hayes is certainly one of the better players from that class but FWIW, there are only 6 players taken after Cain that are still in the league.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cain was taken 7th. Hayes is certainly one of the better players from that class but FWIW, there are only 6 players taken after Cain that are still in the league.
Only 6? LOL. The fact that Cain was the first pick for NY in the first round, that she flamed out in the league, means it was a draft completely wasted by the Liberty. I don't have enough data to compile a historical draft perspective, but it has to be one of the worst picks in history. Even the most ardent Tennessee fan can agree with that.

As for "only 6" players taken after Cain still in the league, is that surprising? with only 12 teams, there is generally only a single draftee that is useful to a given team in each draft (unless a team has multiple 1st round picks). The fact is probably only the top 10 players in each class are going to really make it in the WNBA.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I still wonder if Stef will play...why do I think such a crazy thing? She is SO talented in many ways...I hope she stays healthy and so has a full range of choices. I think we'll be seeing her doing interesting and creative things for years to come.

If Bria is truly baaaaaack...she will go in the top five.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If I were a WNBA GM..... my top 4 would be Chiney O, Thomas, Gray, and Dolson........ order would vary based on my team needs.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Only 6? LOL. The fact that Cain was the first pick for NY in the first round, that she flamed out in the league, means it was a draft completely wasted by the Liberty. I don't have enough data to compile a historical draft perspective, but it has to be one of the worst picks in history. Even the most ardent Tennessee fan can agree with that.

As for "only 6" players taken after Cain still in the league, is that surprising? with only 12 teams, there is generally only a single draftee that is useful to a given team in each draft (unless a team has multiple 1st round picks). The fact is probably only the top 10 players in each class are going to really make it in the WNBA.

You said she was the worst top-5 pick in history, which is false because she wasn't a top-5 pick. Now you're saying she's one of the worst picks in history, period.

The very next pick last year was Novosel to Washington. Like Cain, she lasted one year in the league and barely made an impact. Actually Washington had two 1st round picks last year. Their second one, Lashonda Barrett, didn't even make it out of training camp. This was a Mystics team that went 5-29 last year and was starving for talent. They had four draft picks and none of them lasted in DC. I'd say their draft was just as bad if not worse, than New York's.

The year before that Ta'Shia Phillips was taken with the 8th pick. She didn't last a year.

The year before that Jacinta Monroe was taken with the 6th pick. She played 17 games in 2010 and 4 in 2011.

Shona Thorburn was also taken with the 7th pick in 2006. She avareged .8 points and 6.6 minutes for the Lynx in her one season in Minnesota. This wasn't the loaded Lynx team of today either. They set a franchise record for losses that season.

I guess to an extent, I'm proving your point of many draft classes being shallow. But Cain is hardly alone in being a "bust" for a top-10/first round pick.

I think the only way you could really justify it being a terrible pick would be if they passed on someone significantly better. As I said only 6 of the 29 players taken after her have stuck. Of those 6, only 2 are making major contributions, Hayes and Bay Bay Williams. They were taken 14th and 17th, respectively, so nearly every other team passed on them as well.

Was the pick surprising? Yes. She had absolutely zero hype leading into the draft. Looking back, however, it appears Whisenant took a gamble on a 6'6 post that can play when healthy in an extremely shallow draft. You can argue that Hayes and Williams could have gone higher, but I don't understand what singling out Cain has to do with that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Look, you can argue semantics if you like (5 vs 7), but Cain was simply a flat out awful pick. Nothing you said made me reconsider that she was one of the worst high draft picks in the history of the league. the minute NYL made the announcement i was on here asking if they had lost their collective minds. But tennessee fans were saying what a bold and aggressive choice it was and how Cain had been tearing up the Euro league that past season (or wherever she played - must have been high school calibur competition if she put up the kinds of numbers that really made people take notice).

Novasel was taken after Cain. She had WAY better numbers in college. There were at least reasons to believe she might succeed in the WNBA. Not so much for Cain. Phillips put up great numbers for Xavier - she averaged well over a double double her entire career (over 14 PPG and 11 RPG). Monroe averaged over 13 PPG in her career at FSU. I have no idea what Thornburn's stats were at Utah, but i'm guessing they were pretty substantial. Cain averaged just over 8 PPG at Tennessee 6 RPG, decided to forgo her senior year (after redshirting her freshman year), and I don't believe she ever really got over her injuries, but I have zero proof of that.

Not only was Cain a total bust in the WNBA, but what made it even more mystifying was her very average college career really gave no indication she had any talent for the league. At least you could make some kind of argument for the other players you mentioned that were chosen.

So yeah, I think Cain was the worst top 7 pick in WNBA draft history. And she contributed zero for a terrible NYL team last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom