Top 25 week 2 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 25 week 2

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Now that you mention it, what kind of team is a bad match-up for us now? Last year it was great outside shooters but feels like our perimeter defense will be better this year.
a smart, strong, and broadly capable one. for now. hopefully notsomuch as time rolls on.
in both games, we came out fast due to the other teams unfamiliarity with us. second half? not so much. check the numbers. even bu, a pretty good team for their level, ran their stuff and had good shots, plenty. they just missed a bunch of them.

Reaction Score
We'd have to leapfrog 3 teams to get to 24. So are you saying you think Tennessee will fall out of the top 25, in addition to Nova and Oregon? That seems unlikely to me. But I'm not sure how much shifting usually goes on in week 1.
Tennessee just stayed in at #22 but Villanova and Oregon both booted.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Being ranked matters, especially when we're trying to restore the perception of the program.

Viewers see a number next to your name and know you're in contention. They don't see a number there and have no idea if you're #26 or #326 and just assume you're irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Our allies and our non-believers - Week 2

1668449567237.png

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I posted this in my own thread, but if mods want to merge them that's fine

I did this last year each Monday morning and I think it's time to start it up again...
With the first week of games finally being played, we should see some shifting in the polls

Top 25 teams with losses this week:
#11 Tennessee v Colorado
#16 Villanova v Temple
#21 Oregon v UC Irvine

Here are some public AP ballots for week 1: (Last week's rank in parentheses)
Jon Rothstein: 24 (24)
Chris Murray: NR (NR)
Rick Bozich: 20 (22)
C.L. Brown: 22 (NR)
Jerry Carino: 23 (23)
Clayton Collier: 20 (22)
Mark Berman NR (NR)

Non-AP Analytic Sites:
Kenpom: 19 (25)
Barttorvik: 53
Evan Miya: 29
Massey: 30
Team Rankings: 24
Sagarin: 28

This is all I could find for now...Usually Seth Davis and Borges post theirs early, but not sure why they didn't this week.

Prediction: UConn #24
Rothstein had us at 24 much of last season as well.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Being ranked matters, especially when we're trying to restore the perception of the program.

Viewers see a number next to your name and know you're in contention. They don't see a number there and have no idea if you're #26 or #326 and just assume you're irrelevant.
Hard to believe there’s people who still don’t understand this.

Reaction Score
I think UNC is massively overrated. They seem to me EXACTLY like UCLA last year -- team that got hot for a deep tourney run at a blue blood school, brought everyone back, and will not be able to meet expectations of a top team. There was a reason they weren't that good most of last year (like UCLA 2 years ago) and I see the same thing this year. Are they a top 15 team? Probably. Top 1-2? No.
North Carolina played well in the 2nd half of the season (12-3 in their last 15 games, but the Pittsburgh loss threw people off their scent). The last month of the season they were a top 15 team by efficiency stats not including the tournament run. UCLA literally lost 4 straight games heading into that their tournament and then got unsustainably hot from midrange (winning 2 games in OT). A top 15 team that played well in March that returns everyone would be a top 5 team most years.

Reaction Score

Additionally, ESPN shows game highlights for all ranked teams. Again, helpful for visibility and perception.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Oregon is definitely out. Nova might fall out too. We looked like one of the most impressive teams so far and we're missing 2 first round picks. Over half of the top 25 struggled with their cupcake games (look at Creighton, UNC, etc). We won by 31 and 29. We'll be ranked
I agree with all that. I was just arguing against us getting up to 24. But, splitting hairs of course. Lol

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
North Carolina played well in the 2nd half of the season (12-3 in their last 15 games, but the Pittsburgh loss threw people off their scent). The last month of the season they were a top 15 team by efficiency stats not including the tournament run. UCLA literally lost 4 straight games heading into that their tournament and then got unsustainably hot from midrange (winning 2 games in OT). A top 15 team that played well in March that returns everyone would be a top 5 team most years.
All the teams relying heavily on freshmen are going to have struggles early in the year. Happens all the time, whether Duke, Kentucky, UNC or maybe UConn next year. Some years those players click and get rolling, some years they don't. UK has had some really wild swings at times.

I still don't see how UConn isn't ranked higher but these voters are mostly just a big herd of people who follow the group narrative.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Hard to believe there’s people who still don’t understand this.
it is? let's try this.
when i hit my ms start page, one highlighted choice is 'sports.'
hit the link, and u get the sports page.
at the very top are further links. here they are in ms' order:
world cup, nfl, nba, mlb, nhl, ncaa fb, golf. then comes the 3 dots to tell u that there is other stuff. it's on the other stuff button that u can find ncaa bk, ncaa wbk, cricket, tennis, soccer, esports, etc. if i didn't mess with their algo heads, it would just show 'UConn Sports' on opening.
people are not dumb, they just may have an opinion of what's important different than yours. sometimes, they are a majority. mostly in november, the only longterm and important result is if someone beat a full strength supertop team, or if a supertop team, full strength, lost to a team of gerbils.
wins are always good. soccer is boring. fb drives the college cash bus.
these people make their living knowing what's important to the majority of us. good on them, except for the part where they never ask for my opinion on soccer. i guess that i don't matter. i'v heard that before. no big. i'll still eat.

Reaction Score
Our allies and our non-believers - Week 2

View attachment 80675
This is really interesting. It’s nearly 50/50 on NRs vs. Ranked votes. We have some obvious homers ranking us way too high that dragged us up.

Is it usually like this? I feel like teams that get over 20 NR votes shouldn’t also have 7 votes in the top 20 lol

Reaction Score
This is really interesting. It’s nearly 50/50 on NRs vs. Ranked votes. We have some obvious homers ranking us way too high that dragged us up.

Is it usually like this? I feel like teams that get over 20 NR votes shouldn’t also have 7 votes in the top 20 lol
Yeah I think so, for the unranked teams in a given week. Once you're in, it's usually a little more consistent about everyone voting for you. It's why it's important for the voting block to be geographically diverse.

Reaction Score
I’d rather see Oregon be ranked when we play them next week. More hype.
I'm less concerned about our opponents being ranked. What matters for our opponents is the computer numbers, i.e. Quad 1 wins for our resume.

Reaction Score
Huskies make it into The Top 25 and 1 CBSSports.com ranking for the first time this season.

Yeah Parrish was essentially doing this during their podcast from last night. Dayton lost live and he said we were up next. Norlander shouted out Newton's triple double as well.

Reaction Score
My wife picked up a lindy’s mag @ wegmans today. I told her to pick it up because Andre was on the cover in Philly.

great karma

Reaction Score
24, 21, 20, and 15 have lost so far. And 15 was unimpressive in other games and has some injuries, so they may drop all the way out. Poised to climb if we can take care of business.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom