Top 25 next season | The Boneyard

Top 25 next season

Reaction Score
Most preseason top 25's for next year include Gonzaga, Nevada and Villanova. All three are not P5 schools. My point being you can be in a crappy league ( not Villanova) and put together a national contender. Nevada is particularly impressive what they have done. I would love for us to get into a better league, but it is what it is right now and we have to live with it. My point is with a good coach , it is possible in basketball to be a contender. That being said, the AAC sucks. Playing Tulsa or ECU excites me about as much as a bowl of cold spagetti with tripe.

Reaction Score
Even closer to home Rhode Island was in / out of top 25 last year, Cincy was top 10, SMU & Houston will and/or have been top 25 recently...............no reason AAC has to be the excuse holding us back anymore. It's easier to be top 25 in a P5 league but a good team will get noticed regardless, the problem the last few years was that we SUCKED!

Reaction Score
Even closer to home Rhode Island was in / out of top 25 last year, Cincy was top 10, SMU & Houston will and/or have been top 25 recently.....no reason AAC has to be the excuse holding us back anymore. It's easier to be top 25 in a P5 league but a good team will get noticed regardless, the problem the last few years was that we SUCKED!
Agree that we sucked but URI isn't a good example of anything as far as the tournament is concerned. They have been a fairly weak program over the years even under Hurley. We expect to make the tournament every year because that has been our history.
Top 25 next year is probably overly optimistic but if our toughness comes back and we see player improvement the tournament is a possibility.

Reaction Score
How nice is it going to be to see UConn ranked in the top 25 in the near future? It may take a couple of years to be there consistently, but better days are certainly ahead.
I started following UConn Boat's senior year, so I have only seen that number next to our name a handful of times.

Reaction Score
Much depends on coaching and player development. Memphis was a fixture in top 25 from Conf USA. Other non P5 have been successful over the years like VCU, Wichita State, Cincinnati, both Butler and Creighton even b4 Big East grabbed them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most preseason top 25's for next year include Gonzaga, Nevada and Villanova. All three are not P5 schools. My point being you can be in a crappy league ( not Villanova) and put together a national contender. Nevada is particularly impressive what they have done. I would love for us to get into a better league, but it is what it is right now and we have to live with it. My point is with a good coach , it is possible in basketball to be a contender. That being said, the AAC sucks. Playing Tulsa or ECU excites me about as much as a bowl of cold spagetti with tripe.
Never include a Big East school ever again unless it's DePaul. Lol. Big East are a power conference in basketball

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I started following UConn Boat's senior year, so I have only seen that number next to our name a handful of times.
I remember Cincinnati beating then #1 Duke and jumping up and down so much that I cut my arm with my own fingernail knowing that I was going to see 1 next to UConn in the next rankings. Was 99 the first time we held that rank in the weekly poll?

Reaction Score
By the way it should have been top 25, not tpo 25. My mistake. Typing on the phone sucks.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I remember Cincinnati beating then #1 Duke and jumping up and down so much that I cut my arm with my own fingernail knowing that I was going to see 1 next to UConn in the next rankings. Was 99 the first time we held that rank in the weekly poll?
Wasn't it St. John's that beat Duke to elevate us to #1?

Reaction Score
Never include a Big East school ever again unless it's DePaul. Lol. Big East are a power conference in basketball
That's why I said not Villanova.

Reaction Score
For all of you young pups, let me take you back to circa 1986. I was fresh on campus, Calhoun arrived as well, and UConn basketball didn't have much buzz to it. I remember a friend asking if I wanted to go watch the girls team play in the field house. I asked, "which team?" Gample was in the planning stages, or soon to be.
Cliff Robinson was our stud. Guy was legitimate. Phil Gamble was banging long balls, had some gritty players in those first few years.
Then something weird happened. UConn make it into "others receiving votes." Might not seem like a big deal, but it was huge to us back then. I checked the paper (I'm so old!) every time the new rankings came out - I think on Monday. We got one vote, then a handful, then back down, then a few more.
Then boom. We were in the top 25.
Couple years later, the Dream Season, and we were off to the races.
It's hard to describe what an exciting time it was. Calhoun's early teams were high pressure, pressing teams that were flat out fun to watch. You got the feeling at tipoff that we could win every game. It was very exciting to watch the ascension of the team.
We were overdue by 99, and a couple of tournament losses hurt really bad (Donyell!!!! grrrrr). But I really wouldn't change how it went down if i could. Beating what was arguably the best Duke team that K ever put on the floor was indescribable.

I'm hoping for a similar trajectory this time, minus the long wait. I expect to see us threaten the top 25 this year or next, and then work and claw our way up the ladder.

You young pups may get to experience some of the thrills of the rocket launch that you haven't gotten in real time.

Reaction Score
For all of you young pups, let me take you back to circa 1986. I was fresh on campus, Calhoun arrived as well, and UConn basketball didn't have much buzz to it. I remember a friend asking if I wanted to go watch the girls team play in the field house. I asked, "which team?" Gample was in the planning stages, or soon to be.
Cliff Robinson was our stud. Guy was legitimate. Phil Gamble was banging long balls, had some gritty players in those first few years.
Then something weird happened. UConn make it into "others receiving votes." Might not seem like a big deal, but it was huge to us back then. I checked the paper (I'm so old!) every time the new rankings came out - I think on Monday. We got one vote, then a handful, then back down, then a few more.
Then boom. We were in the top 25.
Couple years later, the Dream Season, and we were off to the races.
It's hard to describe what an exciting time it was. Calhoun's early teams were high pressure, pressing teams that were flat out fun to watch. You got the feeling at tipoff that we could win every game. It was very exciting to watch the ascension of the team.
We were overdue by 99, and a couple of tournament losses hurt really bad (Donyell!!!! grrrrr). But I really wouldn't change how it went down if i could. Beating what was arguably the best Duke team that K ever put on the floor was indescribable.

I'm hoping for a similar trajectory this time, minus the long wait. I expect to see us threaten the top 25 this year or next, and then work and claw our way up the ladder.

You young pups may get to experience some of the thrills of the rocket launch that you haven't gotten in real time.

Good stuff but you’re still a young pup too just to let you know the “others receiving votes “ watch started in the 70’s with Whelton, Abro and then again with Corny, McKay and Aleksinas group who made it to the Top 25. Many of the younger fans are spoiled from JC as we were underwhelmed when not in the Top 5 or 10 for years.

Hope we can get back there it is fun no doubt to be elite consistently.

Oh and by the way it was Top 20 not 25 until the 90’s or so.

Reaction Score
re: Being ranked #1 for the first time;
I think someplace I have a ' 1 / 1' UConn t-shirt that was sold to memorialize both the men and women being ranked #1 at the same time. I think it had the date on it, and that it was in 1995 after the women had beaten Tenn in the regular season. I'm not sure that any other school had accomplished that. Also not sure if the men had been #1 for any weeks before that separately.

Reaction Score
Just looked up that we were #1 in the AP men's poll the week of Feb 13th 1995 and only for that week during the entire season.
Not remembering the fact of that significant moment was bugging me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom