Top 25 breakout stars for the coming season | The Boneyard

Top 25 breakout stars for the coming season

Reaction Score
Hawkins, Sanogo, and Jackson all stand to have breakout seasons. If none of them bust this could be a very special season.
Sanogo doesn't really fit that description. He was one of the 5 finalists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award last year. He could be better this season, but he already broke out.

Reaction Score
Sanogo doesn't really fit that description. He was one of the 5 finalists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award last year. He could be better this season, but he already broke out.

Just as an aside, it's really wild that 3 of the 5 finalists are coming back to school this year.

Reaction Score
Surprised not to see Arthur Kaluma from Creighton on this list. He averaged about 10 ppg as a Freshman and really came on strong towards the end of the year. Maybe they already consider that “breaking out.”

Reaction Score
Surprised not to see Arthur Kaluma from Creighton on this list. He averaged about 10 ppg as a Freshman and really came on strong towards the end of the year. Maybe they already consider that “breaking out.”
He almost single handedly beat Kansas. As a freshman!

I think because Creighton has so many options, it’s hard for one guy to break out. They could very well have nobody average 15 a game, but have like 6 double figure scorers

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He almost single handedly beat Kansas. As a freshman!

I think because Creighton has so many options, it’s hard for one guy to break out. They could very well have nobody average 15 a game, but have like 6 double figure scorers
I have nightmares of knee-braced Arthur Kaluma wreaking havoc against us in Hartford and in Omaha.

Reaction Score
Wildlife Wtf GIF by Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Andre is The Answer.
Jordan is The Juice.
Adams is the Dunk Avoider.

Reaction Score
Just as an aside, it's really wild that 3 of the 5 finalists are coming back to school this year.
A product of the changing NBA.

6. Speaking of Timme, you'll be forgiven if you think this is the Year of the Big. In fact, college hoops has had many Years of the Big in recent seasons, and will likely continue to feature more traditional 4s and 5s as the NBA continues to relegate such players. It's no longer a once-every-few-years trend; this is the norm, and it's a good thing for college hoops. That in mind, the best of the bigs figure to be Timme, reigning NPOY Oscar Tshiebwe (Kentucky), Armando Bacot(UNC), Trayce Jackson-Davis (Indiana), Zach Edey (Purdue) and Hunter Dickinson (Michigan), among many others. The aforementioned oaks are prime preseason first/second/third team All-American candidates.

By the way, back to the original topic. Below in the same article. But going from a great player to a star is still not a "breakout player" in my book.

21-25. Players to know: the juniors. We'll lead with Dickinson at Michigan, who healthily increased his averages last season, and if anything, was slightly underappreciated in a Big Ten chock-full of big-time attractions. The Big Ten probably has the best array of juniors, as Dickinson will have two other bigs he'll compete with for player of the year in IU's Jackson-Davis and Edey at Purdue. If a wing is going to steal the show like last year, Iowa's Kris Murray is the best bet. One more junior to put on your radar and it's another big: UConn stalwart Adama Sanogo might be due for a star turn.

Reaction Score
A product of the changing NBA.

6. Speaking of Timme, you'll be forgiven if you think this is the Year of the Big. In fact, college hoops has had many Years of the Big in recent seasons, and will likely continue to feature more traditional 4s and 5s as the NBA continues to relegate such players. It's no longer a once-every-few-years trend; this is the norm, and it's a good thing for college hoops. That in mind, the best of the bigs figure to be Timme, reigning NPOY Oscar Tshiebwe (Kentucky), Armando Bacot(UNC), Trayce Jackson-Davis (Indiana), Zach Edey (Purdue) and Hunter Dickinson (Michigan), among many others. The aforementioned oaks are prime preseason first/second/third team All-American candidates.

By the way, back to the original topic. Below in the same article. But going from a great player to a star is still not a "breakout player" in my book.

21-25. Players to know: the juniors. We'll lead with Dickinson at Michigan, who healthily increased his averages last season, and if anything, was slightly underappreciated in a Big Ten chock-full of big-time attractions. The Big Ten probably has the best array of juniors, as Dickinson will have two other bigs he'll compete with for player of the year in IU's Jackson-Davis and Edey at Purdue. If a wing is going to steal the show like last year, Iowa's Kris Murray is the best bet. One more junior to put on your radar and it's another big: UConn stalwart Adama Sanogo might be due for a star turn.

I like #68 on that list… Final Four in Houston. We all know what happened in April 2011 in Houston.

Reaction Score
Hawkins, Sanogo, and Jackson all stand to have breakout seasons. If none of them bust this could be a very special season.
Well Andy Katz agrees with you on Sanogo being a breakout player this season. But I will stick with my original argument in this thread against that. He was already one of the 5 finalists for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar award last year. He could be better this season, but he already broke out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom