Top 20 Coaches ESPN | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Top 20 Coaches ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Squid gonna win... they must be going off the last like three-four years with some emphasis on this year as well as recruiting.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Squid gonna win... they must be going off the last like three-four years with some emphasis on this year as well as recruiting.

This is kind of where I'm at on this. In terms of recent success, I'm not sure how you can beat out a guy with 3 and a title in four years, especially when he's got a top-2 recruiting class almost every year.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pastner in the 40's makes sense...he's one decent run away from jumping up on that list...I'll feel better once we get Keelon Lawson hired, father of:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/142889/kj-lawson

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/171068/dedric-lawson

http://future150.com/jr/basketball-profiles/chandler-lawson-sf-2019

Brown, Ollie, Cronin, Sampson, Pastner, Haith, Dunphy, Lebo...this conference has solid coaches.

I concur, some real upside

if we have 5 or more solid programs, the conference will prosper and get stronger with time

Reaction Score
Okay assuming this is the 20, Rank them by who you would select as your coach today keeping in mind longevity of years remaining assuming they retire at your program:

Ollie
K
Roy Williams
Pitino
Izzo
Donovan
Boeheim
Thad Matta
Bill Self
John Belein
Fred Hoiberg
Jay Wright
Bo Ryan
Mark Few
Steve Fisher
Greg Marshall
Calipari
Sean Miller
Shaka Smart
Tony Bennet

Agree with most of your top 20 - but I was surprised not to see Steve Pikiell. amongst ESPN's top 50. Here's a guy who turned Stoneybrook around from Am East doormat to a perennial contender. Perhaps he needs to "dance" to finally get the recognition he deserves. Had KO left for the NBA, I was hoping UCONN would consider Steve as his replacement - I think better qualified than KO's current staff and still "in the family."

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I have a feeling Tulane and UCF will be looking for new coaches after this upcoming season...

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So Ollie beat 35, 19, 15 on the tournament run. I'd imagine Cal, Izzo, and BD are firmly in the top ten. That, in my opinion, should make Ollie top 5. 9-4 against coaches on the list so far as well.

Reaction Score
One Sweet 16 and now all of a sudden he's the 15th best coach in the country? They really must only care about this year. Watch, the rest will be in some rough order the coach of:

Stanford
UCLA
Baylor
Tennessee
Wichita State
UVA
Duke
Louisville
Michigan
MSU
AZ
UW
UF
UConn
UK

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
One Sweet 16 and now all of a sudden he's the 15th best coach in the country? They really must only care about this year. Watch, the rest will be in some rough order the coach of:

Stanford
UCLA
Baylor
Tennessee
Wichita State
UVA
Duke
Louisville
Michigan
MSU
AZ
UW
UF
UConn
UK

I see what you did there.

Reaction Score

Stanford - Already said he's not on the list
UCLA - Alford was #36
Baylor - Scott Drew was #50
Tennessee - Tyndall hasn't been to the NCAA's since 2011. He had a couple of nice years at Southern Missouri, but I'd be pretty surprised to see him this high.
Wichita State - Marshall is really good, so yes
UVA - Bennett will be up there
Duke - K is probably top 5
Louisville - Pitino is almost certainly top 5, I'd have him at #2
Michigan - Beilein should be top 10
MSU - Izzo is almost definitely top 5
AZ - Miller should be coming up soon
UW - Ryan could be top 10, though I think he's getting a little overrated
UF - Donovan will be top 5, and is a contender at the #1 spot
UConn - Ollie will be top 10, possibly top 5, though I probably wouldn't put him quite that high
UK - Cal would be #1 on my list

Boeheim is overrated as all get-out, but he'll be on the list, and probably too high on it (though I suppose he was in the final four 2013). Bill Self will probably be on the border of the top 5. I don't think Tyndall is on there, so my guess for the other coach is JT3, even though Georgetown sucked this year. He's still recruiting well, and they make the tournament almost every season. So for the 14 guys left, I'm guessing it is, in some semblance of the correct order: Calipari, Pitino, Donovan, Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self, Beilein, KO, Bo Ryan, Marshall, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Boeheim, Thompson.

Reaction Score
So for the 14 guys left, I'm guessing it is, in some semblance of the correct order: Calipari, Pitino, Donovan, Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self, Beilein, KO, Bo Ryan, Marshall, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Boeheim, Thompson.

JT3 is already listed as #46. Shaka Smart will be in the top 14 as well.

Reaction Score
Stanford - Already said he's not on the list
UCLA - Alford was #36
Baylor - Scott Drew was #50
Tennessee - Tyndall hasn't been to the NCAA's since 2011. He had a couple of nice years at Southern Missouri, but I'd be pretty surprised to see him this high.
Wichita State - Marshall is really good, so yes
UVA - Bennett will be up there
Duke - K is probably top 5
Louisville - Pitino is almost certainly top 5, I'd have him at #2
Michigan - Beilein should be top 10
MSU - Izzo is almost definitely top 5
AZ - Miller should be coming up soon
UW - Ryan could be top 10, though I think he's getting a little overrated
UF - Donovan will be top 5, and is a contender at the #1 spot
UConn - Ollie will be top 10, possibly top 5, though I probably wouldn't put him quite that high
UK - Cal would be #1 on my list

Boeheim is overrated as all get-out, but he'll be on the list, and probably too high on it (though I suppose he was in the final four 2013). Bill Self will probably be on the border of the top 5. I don't think Tyndall is on there, so my guess for the other coach is JT3, even though Georgetown sucked this year. He's still recruiting well, and they make the tournament almost every season. So for the 14 guys left, I'm guessing it is, in some semblance of the correct order: Calipari, Pitino, Donovan, Izzo, Coach K, Bill Self, Beilein, KO, Bo Ryan, Marshall, Sean Miller, Tony Bennett, Boeheim, Thompson.

For Tenn I assume he meant Cuonzo Martin based on the tourney run and forgot about him going to Cal, not sure where he stands on the list since I haven't gone back to review but I'd imagine he had already been listed in the top 25-50 grouping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom