Top 10 UConn Plays in history | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top 10 UConn Plays in history

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
How about greatest shot? Going back to the 2003 NC game against Tennessee, with about 7 minutes to go, Diana runs off of two screens going over the entire half court, gets the ball by the half court line and has a clear out on the right side. She backs down the defender, spins and then goes past the backboard and has to shoot with her left hand because of the angle from about 8 feet and puts it in. Did it win the game? No, but it reminded a lot of people of the famous Larry Bird switch to the left over the backboard shot. She was the only woman ever who would take that shot instinctively in such a setting and at such a moment and make it. Ann Myers was doing the commentary and she didn't even realize at first that she shot it with the left hand until the replay. It showed that D could do whatever she wanted, when she wanted with the ball.
Yep, who else even tries that shot?? But Dee sinks it late in the National Championship game.

Reaction Score
Carl Ademac with a fun article. Wait till Paige breaks in. :)

ANY good play to jump start the Huskies in that Stanford championship game would rank highly. It looked like Mya Moore jump-started herself.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that no one remembers this because UConn ended up losing the game, but attention must be paid to Kia Nurse's steal against Notre Dame in the 2018 Final Four at the end of regulation. She went in for a layup and sent the game to overtime, but then the Arike thing happened.

ND was usually ahead late in regulation in that game. In addition to Kia's steal and layup, Crystal and Napheesa both made clutch 3-pointers to keep UConn in the game when it appeared that they were destined to lose.

Reaction Score
I remember #5. Spectacular by Swanier and Moore.

But the most spectacular play I recall involved Diana Taurasi. And it ended in a turnover. UConn impounded the ball under the opposing basket. A UConn player threw a long pass to Diana, who was standing just to the left of the top of the key, with her back to the basket. How she did this, I will never know. But without looking, and without catching the pass, she reached up for the long pass, then flicked it. Yes just flicked it from the side of the top of the key to a UConn player standing right next to the basket. It was not only a "no look" pass, but it the ball came to D in front of her, and she flicked it behind her some 20 feet to the waiting UConn player. But that player wasn't "waiting," and was so shocked to get the ball that she flubbed the easy layup, and the opposing team grabbed the rebound. It was that "flick": a long hard pass above her head that she didn't even bother to grasp, and clearly redirected it directly to the UConn player on the other side of the basket.

Just amazing! No basket. No assist. But wow!!!

Reaction Score
Ahh - Rush Street. I miss Chicago (and I didn't even live there - ha). We should organize a meet-up for a UConn-DePaul game whenever WCBB, air travel, etc., gets started up again.
I dont remember the year, but I was working in Chicago. It was early in Genos run but after our first national championship. UCONN was in an NCAA regional Playoff at the Horizon in Chicago. We happened to sit near the DePaul team. They were completely in awe of the number of UCONN fans at the game.

Reaction Score
How about greatest shot? Going back to the 2003 NC game against Tennessee, with about 7 minutes to go, Diana runs off of two screens going over the entire half court, gets the ball by the half court line and has a clear out on the right side. She backs down the defender, spins and then goes past the backboard and has to shoot with her left hand because of the angle from about 8 feet and puts it in. Did it win the game? No, but it reminded a lot of people of the famous Larry Bird switch to the left over the backboard shot. She was the only woman ever who would take that shot instinctively in such a setting and at such a moment and make it. Ann Myers was doing the commentary and she didn't even realize at first that she shot it with the left hand until the replay. It showed that D could do whatever she wanted, when she wanted with the ball.
The best shot ever!

Reaction Score
I remember #5. Spectacular by Swanier and Moore.

But the most spectacular play I recall involved Diana Taurasi. And it ended in a turnover. UConn impounded the ball under the opposing basket. A UConn player threw a long pass to Diana, who was standing just to the left of the top of the key, with her back to the basket. How she did this, I will never know. But without looking, and without catching the pass, she reached up for the long pass, then flicked it. Yes just flicked it from the side of the top of the key to a UConn player standing right next to the basket. It was not only a "no look" pass, but it the ball came to D in front of her, and she flicked it behind her some 20 feet to the waiting UConn player. But that player wasn't "waiting," and was so shocked to get the ball that she flubbed the easy layup, and the opposing team grabbed the rebound. It was that "flick": a long hard pass above her head that she didn't even bother to grasp, and clearly redirected it directly to the UConn player on the other side of the basket.

Just amazing! No basket. No assist. But wow!!!
Jessica Moore

Reaction Score
It wasn't 1 play but the whole half. First round 2018 against St. Francis with 55 points end of 1st quarter and 94 at halftime! 6 players in double figures at half-time!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Two comments:
What was most incredible about Maya's steal against DePaul was her immediate time-out signal. Almost every other player would have turned and headed up court. And she was a freshman.
And I would have included the only play the 2002 actually needed to make all season, against Oklahoma State in the finals, with about a minute left. With four WNBA first round draft choices, Geno called it for Diana, who made the shot and fouled out OSU's All American Stacey Dales on the same play.
Just Oklahoma

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
A Mo play against South Carolina, dribble drive, just about dislocated the defenders legs

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It wasn't 1 play but the whole half. First round 2018 against St. Francis with 55 points end of 1st quarter and 94 at halftime! 6 players in double figures at half-time!
And Z missed multiple layups. But usually scored on the 2nd or 3rd try.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I only saw it on SD video years later, but my favorite memory of the 2003 Texas game was The Pass. Incredibly quick, unexpected, one-handed flick of the wrist from 30-35 feet away to Wilnett (?) under the basket.

The South Carolina game cited above is probably the greatest single game for a highlight reel I've ever seen.

And then there is Stewie's coast to coast dash to block the Rutgers player's layup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And then there is Stewie's coast to coast dash to block the Rutgers player's layup.
Moriah set her up by falling and turning the ball over. I think it was on purpose. :D

There was another play, perhaps also against Rutgers, when Moriah stole the ball against the sideline and made a behind-the-back pass to Stewie, who drove the other way for a layup. Mo gave Stewie a hard time about not dunking the ball. That would have been the ultimate highlight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom