Top 10 UConn Plays in history | The Boneyard

Top 10 UConn Plays in history

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An interesting set of plays spanning the years. Picking them was not easy I'm sure. A good read as we shelter in place.

Reaction Score
Two comments:
What was most incredible about Maya's steal against DePaul was her immediate time-out signal. Almost every other player would have turned and headed up court. And she was a freshman.
And I would have included the only play the 2002 actually needed to make all season, against Oklahoma State in the finals, with about a minute left. With four WNBA first round draft choices, Geno called it for Diana, who made the shot and fouled out OSU's All American Stacey Dales on the same play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't see the list because I don't have a JI subscription, but this is one of the most important plays I can recall. It comes at 51:35 in the video of the Stanford v. UConn championship game in 2010 and involves the 2 best players in the nation. Tina blocks Nneka's shot and outlets it to Maya, who beats Pohlen to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Can’t read list but the Aubrey to Anna back pass to CW was certainly the highlight of the past season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is the shot:

1586019000615.png

Reaction Score
Two comments:
What was most incredible about Maya's steal against DePaul was her immediate time-out signal. Almost every other player would have turned and headed up court. And she was a freshman.
And I would have included the only play the 2002 actually needed to make all season, against Oklahoma State in the finals, with about a minute left. With four WNBA first round draft choices, Geno called it for Diana, who made the shot and fouled out OSU's All American Stacey Dales on the same play.
Oklahoma not ok state

Reaction Score
Great article by Carl and excellent list. He mentions some plays -- the Maya layup (#10) and Sveta against BC (#7) -- that I hadn't thought of in years. Of course the Maya steal against DePaul was truly amazing. I was at the game and dined in disbelief afterwards with @j66kicker, @ThisJustIn and others.
Great times Cat. I remember you picking up the check at Rick Bayless' Topolobampo - YUM, thanks!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One key play in 1995 was in the Regional Final vs. Virginia at Gampel. It was late and the game was close. UVa was inbounding and UConn was defending like crazy. The crowd noise was as loud as I have ever heard it. The inbounder tried to call a timeout but the ref couldn't hear her and it was a turnover.

Reaction Score
I simply returned the favor. You picked up the check after the Depaul game at Carmine's as I recall. A memorable Saturday night in Chicago.
Ahh - Rush Street. I miss Chicago (and I didn't even live there - ha). We should organize a meet-up for a UConn-DePaul game whenever WCBB, air travel, etc., gets started up again.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ahh - Rush Street. I miss Chicago (and I didn't even live there - ha). We should organize a meet-up for a UConn-DePaul game whenever WCBB, air travel, etc., gets started up again.

I'll be there. I know there are questions about where future BETs will be but I wouldn't object to Chicago.

I think I'll pass on another meet-up in Milwaukee in January. :)

Reaction Score
I'll be there. I know there are questions about where future BETs will be but I wouldn't object to Chicago.

I think I'll pass on another meet-up in Milwaukee in January. :)
Oh man - that was colder than cold! I remember ThisJustIn wanted to see what cheese curds were all about, so I grabbed a bag at the grocery store and snuck them into the trunk of her rent car (which she had loaned me the night before so the wimpier fans in the crowd could drive my car home after the Marquette game to get out of the cold). The curds froze solid while we were having breakfast and were like little orange rocks when she found them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The DT game I remember most was the end of the TX game in the 2003 FF. She was immense throughout the comeback from 9 down but the block/rebound at the buzzer capped it.

And two personal favorites - the Heather Buck steal and layup and Briana Polido's shot both at the end of their careers.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of my favorite plays was when they played USF at the XL Center going for their 90th straight when. Gabby blocked a shot, Kia got the ball on the side went towards the basket then passed the the ball to Lou who tipped a bounce pass to Gabby for a lay up. Drove everyone crazy and the FS1 announcers couldn't believe it. It happened with about 3:20 left in the first quarter. That was the game where they won 103-37.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The DT game I remember most was the end of the TX game in the 2003 FF. She was immense throughout the comeback from 9 down but the block/rebound at the buzzer capped it.

One memorable play in that game was with about 2 minute left and Texas up by 2. Ann Strother misses a FT, Wilnet Crockett grabs the rebound and eventually Dee hits a long three from the top of the key that put UConn up by 1. I was sitting at that end of the arena and jumped out of my seat. UConn had no business winning that game but UConn had Diana.

Reaction Score
One memorable play in that game was with about 2 minute left and Texas up by 2. Ann Strother misses a FT, Wilnet Crockett grabs the rebound and eventually Dee hits a long three from the top of the key that put UConn up by 1. I was sitting at that end of the arena and jumped out of my seat. UConn had no business winning that game but UConn had Diana.
That 2003 FF in the Georgia Dome was my first FF. Those 2 games had to both be at least in the top 5 best games ever. Maybe top 2.

1586028362315.png

Reaction Score
How about greatest shot? Going back to the 2003 NC game against Tennessee, with about 7 minutes to go, Diana runs off of two screens going over the entire half court, gets the ball by the half court line and has a clear out on the right side. She backs down the defender, spins and then goes past the backboard and has to shoot with her left hand because of the angle from about 8 feet and puts it in. Did it win the game? No, but it reminded a lot of people of the famous Larry Bird switch to the left over the backboard shot. She was the only woman ever who would take that shot instinctively in such a setting and at such a moment and make it. Ann Myers was doing the commentary and she didn't even realize at first that she shot it with the left hand until the replay. It showed that D could do whatever she wanted, when she wanted with the ball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom