Too rich for us | The Boneyard

Too rich for us

Reaction Score
Radio reports that Pitt is offering Hurley 3 million a year. Unless UCONN has a couple of Sugar Daddies, the cost is too much for us.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If we completely skate on the Ollie buyout, admittedly a very big if, then 3 million per year is the same amount we had budgeted to pay Ollie anyway, through 2021. Under those circumstances, there should be no reason we can't pay the same to somebody else.

Reaction Score
People were talking about a donor stepping up before KO was fired. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true, but that a contingency is that the school try not to have to pay the buyout first.

If the school can't pay $3M, we're done. I understand why they may not want to, or may not think it wise to pay someone more than some championship coaches, but that time is over. If UConn MBB means something, you got to pony up.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if UConn believes that this is the guy to bring us back to prominence (I certainly do), then we can't afford to NOT pay what ever it takes to lock him down. Our program simply can not afford to fall back into irrelevancy.

If we pay Hurley 3MM a year and he brings us back to the final four, everyone on this board and who has ever worn a UConn T-Shirt will say that he was worth every single penny.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Kermit Davis just signed for $2.5 million per year base salary at Ole Miss. With incentives, he could make >$3 million.

The price of top basketball coaches has gone up.
I guess if they aren’t going to pay recruits any more, it frees up more money for salaries.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Too rich for us?

What the hell are you people who are pushing this talking about. We literally just fired a coach who was making over $3M annually for those pitiful results. Paying a coach TOP 10 salary nationally for the privilege to miss the tourney 3 years in a row does not in any way indicate a program that is "strapped for cash and can't afford a $3M offer match for what is perceived to be the right guy. The state has invested far too much into this program to let hundreds of thousands of dollars per year be the determining factor in the loss of millions in brand value. Hiring a good coach goes so much beyond basketball results, the university's application rates and acceptance %s directly correlate with the team's basketball success, its basic economics at this point for those fortunate to be big time athletics universities.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's not $3 mill. It's $25 mill over 7 years, or AAV of $3.57 mill/year - which would put Hurley in top 10 highest paid hoops coaches.

And nobody knows what the buyout terms are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not $3 mill. It's $25 mill over 7 years, or AAV or $3.57 mill/year - which would put Hurley in top 15 highest paid hoops coaches.

And nobody knows what the buyout terms are.
Cite? Or just another rumor from a thread? We saw a $3M somewhere already.

Reaction Score
If we lose him because we wouldn't go up to $3mm and anyone in the athletic department is surprised by that then they should all be fired

It depends on how things have been handled internally with players, donors ect...

Some of this we do not have access to. Well maybe a few here might.

I would make a sizable bet that Hurley will not win 10 league games in the ACC during his tenure @ Pitt during the life of his contract. Which should pretty much guarantee he never makes the 2nd weekend based on his NCAA Tournament coaching DNA.

If he were to come to UConn I would support him and the team! Hoping for the best!

JMHO

PS: There is a chance Cheif00 cooled off on the deal at the last minute based on all the circumstances. These things the casual fan must understand! haha :)

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Cite? Or just another rumor from a thread? We saw a $3M somewhere already.

Chris Peak, who's basically a combo of chief00 and Temery for Pitt. Runs PantherLair and is a frequent talk show guest.

Reaction Score
It will come down to which of the 3 schools (UConn, Pitt, or URI) provides him with the best chance to win in the near future, and is the better stepping stone school. A school that will land him a major P5 coaching gig in the next 5-8 years. As a UConn fan, I would like to think UConn is the correct choice, But of course, I am biased.

Reaction Score
I guess if they aren’t going to pay recruits any more, it frees up more money for salaries.

I think you're underestimating them.. they got a slap on the wrist for all the dirt they did in football.. it'll be back to business as usual

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I think you're underestimating them.. they got a slap on the wrist for all the dirt they did in football.. it'll be back to business as usual
It was a joke

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom