Too rich for us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too rich for us

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
OMG we need a BigRedChief hybrid.

walmart-halloween-costumes-feat.jpg

Reaction Score
It's not $3 mill. It's $25 mill over 7 years, or AAV or $3.57 mill/year - which would put Hurley in top 15 highest paid hoops coaches.

And nobody knows what the buyout terms are.

If that's what he's demanding then we should go all in on Steve Lappas.....

Reaction Score
Connecticut could solve some of their fiscal issues by getting on board with legal weed like other states have done. That being said, the athletic dept. at Uconn needs a reality check. Can someone tell me why it is necessary to be in the AAC for sports like women's vollyball, golf and other non revenue sports? Sending all these teams to Texas, Oklahoma etc. When they could easily form regional leagues with schools a bus ride away? Try to get back in the BE for BB. Accept reality, Uconn will never be competitive with the Alabamas and Clemsons of the football world and give up the pipe dream. Try to form a regional east coast league in FB with schools like UMass, Army, Buffalo, Temple, ECU, Navy, Florida Gulf Coast and some others. This would free up some money for a basketball coach. Let's face it, Uconn is a BB school. We may never again see what took place during JC's tenure if the athletic department at Uconn does not accept that.

Reaction Score
Not all about money. He gets to keep his family in place if he comes to UConn.
Let's hope his wife really hates the idea of moving to Pittsburg! When you are looking at 2.5 million, is 3 million going to make a difference? You are a rich man, set for life. Let's hope other factors play a role in his decision. Pitt is a dumpster fire. This is not a rebuild. This is basically starting from scratch.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if UConn believes that this is the guy to bring us back to prominence (I certainly do), then we can't afford to NOT pay what ever it takes to lock him down. Our program simply can not afford to fall back into irrelevancy.

If we pay Hurley 3MM a year and he brings us back to the final four, everyone on this board and who has ever worn a UConn T-Shirt will say that he was worth every single penny.

What do mean by "prominence"? If you mean a respectable basketball team, that routinely makes the NCAA tournament, in a great year can make and elite 8 or Final 4 run, then yes I agree. If you think Hurley will get us back to being a perennial Top 10 team and legitimate NC contender, that is just not happening!

Reaction Score
What do mean by "prominence"? If you mean a respectable basketball team, that routinely makes the NCAA tournament, in a great year can make and elite 8 or Final 4 run, then yes I agree. If you think Hurley will get us back to being a perennial Top 10 team and legitimate NC contender, that is just not happening!

I mean expecting to make it to the second weekend on a yearly basis, and being disappointed when it doesn't happen.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If DB hires Bruce Pearl, I am done.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree, because if he doesn't work out and we end up having to pay Ollie a significant amount of the remaining commitment, we're kinda screwed. Pitt has a lot more flexibility with that ACC $$$

But I think AD Dave probably has a pretty good understanding of what UConn is ultimately going to owe Ollie. I'm sure he's been talking to lawyers and whatnot for some time now.

All we can do is trust that the final offer we make isn't going to mortgage the future of the program. We should be able to make an offer that's competitive, but firmly less, than what Pitt offered. Then just rely on his NE roots to bring him here.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Connecticut could solve some of their fiscal issues by getting on board with legal weed like other states have done. That being said, the athletic dept. at Uconn needs a reality check. Can someone tell me why it is necessary to be in the AAC for sports like women's vollyball, golf and other non revenue sports? Sending all these teams to Texas, Oklahoma etc. When they could easily form regional leagues with schools a bus ride away? Try to get back in the BE for BB. Accept reality, Uconn will never be competitive with the Alabamas and Clemsons of the football world and give up the pipe dream. Try to form a regional east coast league in FB with schools like UMass, Army, Buffalo, Temple, ECU, Navy, Florida Gulf Coast and some others. This would free up some money for a basketball coach. Let's face it, Uconn is a BB school. We may never again see what took place during JC's tenure if the athletic department at Uconn does not accept that.

Except for the part about legal weed(!), absolutely spot on. We have this dream of being P5, when football will never get us there. Accept that truth, put the focus back on MBB and move on. Being in the BE will increase MBB revenues many-fold. And not have minor sports traveling ridiculous distances to play games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom