Too many teams | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Too many teams

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This year might just be an anomaly in regards to strength of teams/leagues. No way anyone could have planned for all the challenges and disruptions during the season. IMHO the women's tourney is a few years behind the men's and before long, we'll see more than the 8/9 upsets, where the 5/12 and even more will become a norm. I've always believed that the men's tourney weighed the purported "blue bloods" more on tradition than actual skill level, and great teams in less marketed conferences suffered.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The 1-16 scenario involving Stanford and Harvard was a scenario that won't happen again. It was 23 years ago, and Stanford was crippled by injuries. The team they sent out onto the court vs Harvard was more like a seven seed. Lost stars Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl to serious knee injuries in the week prior to the game. And Harvard probably should have been no worse than a 13 seed. They were 21-5 and very experienced. Their seed was affected by anti-Ivy bias and/or a committee that was fairly clueless.

Vanderveer later said that after the second horrible ACL injury, her team really didn't want to play in the tournament.
You wonder what would have happened if Stanford's seed was lower due to injuries and how far they would have gotten.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Arkansas definitely feels they should exclude all those weak conferences from the tournament - just not competitive teams! CViv absolutely agrees!

Reaction Score
Watching NCAA teams get blown out by 40 points does make you ask if 64 teams is too many. Is it really a reward for a decent season for a school such as High Point to be humiliated by UConn or for Baylor to crush a team I’ve already forgotten? I watched a few minutes of Stanford against Utah Valley, a school I’ve never heard of—if this were a boxing match, the referee would have ended it on a technical knockout. Maybe it would be for the best to make the NCAA 32 teams and WNIT 64.
So, to do that, you're taking away the automatic bids for certain conferences. How is it determined which conference deserves a bid and which do not. In the old days with men, when there were 32 teams in the tournament, what was missing were the at-large bids. Look at all the 8-9 games in men's and women's. Sometimes the best games in the round of 64. They would be gone. Syracuse, men's and women's gone.
Famous team- best team ever not to make the NCAA tournament when it had 32 teams. Only the conference tournament winner qualified- University of Maryland 1973. Ended up 4th rank overall, 2nd in the ACC, 3 NBA starters- John Lucas, Len Elmore, and Tom McMillen. As Mad Dog would say, "now that's a college basketball team".

Reaction Score
Some will never be satisfied, simple solution to those not wanting to see blowout games of 40+ points...don't watch the first two rounds.

As of this writing, in todays games, 3 upsets; #12 Belmont over #5 Gonzaga, #13 Wright State over #4 Arkansas and #11 BYU over #6 Rutgers. I bet if you ask Belmont, Wright State and BYU they'll be happy to take the "reward" of being in the NCAA tourney.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The 1-16 scenario involving Stanford and Harvard was a scenario that won't happen again. It was 23 years ago, and Stanford was crippled by injuries. The team they sent out onto the court vs Harvard was more like a seven seed. Lost stars Vanessa Nygaard and Kristin Folkl to serious knee injuries in the week prior to the game. And Harvard probably should have been no worse than a 14 seed. They were 21-5 and very experienced. Their seed was affected by anti-Ivy bias and/or a committee that was fairly clueless.

Vanderveer later said that after the second horrible ACL injury, her team really didn't want to play in the tournament.

Agreed. Context is extremely important for referencing that.

Harvard was badly underseeded and played with a chip on their shoulder. Probably the only #16 seed to ever have a WNBA double digit scorer on its roster.

And Stanford was a bad team before Kristin Folkl joined midway through the year. They were 3-4 to start and she joined after leading Stanford to another volleyball championship. With her they went 18-1. Then both her and Nygaard went out with ACLs. They probably shouldn't have been a #1 seed to begin with, and they weren't a good team without their 2 best players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Belmont, Wright St. and BYU are sneering at this thread.

It's 1 more day and set of games, so what? Reducing the number of teams is just completely unnecessary and a bad idea IMO.

Yeah, but what is the deal with giving the WCC two teams anyway?! Thankfully Belmont corrected that mistake and covered for Rutgers who let the P5 side down.

Reaction Score
I think it also all comes down to perspective.
When my mom was growing up, her high school wasn't very good at sports, so winning their sectional title was a big thing. When my sister and I were growing up, her high school soccer team had made the final four of the state tournament 6 out of the last 8 seasons. My sisters team would be upset to not make the State Final four after that standard had been set, my mom's high school's teams would have been thrilled to just make it to the Divisional Title game. A lot of those kids who are on those teams with higher digit seeds, have goals of playing in the tournament one day. A player like Paige Bueckers has bigger dreams of winning the National Championship, because it's the standard set for a number 1 recruit playing at UConn.

It never feels great to lose, but would you have told Mississippi State in 2016 (sorry to their fans) they should have been cut from the tournament because they lost to UConn by 60? In that same year, 12-seed South Dakota State beat the 5-seed Miami. 12-seed Albany also beat the 5-seed Florida in their first round game. I don't think cutting teams out of the tournament is the answer. Blowouts can happen at anytime and do happen in the Men's tournament as well. Just because you happened to see Jackson State lose big to Baylor doesn't mean it wasn't a great experience for their players and fans. Jackson State actually has a top-100 player in Se'Quoia Allmond signed to play next season, now making the Tournament is a viable goal for their team next year. In 2009, 2-seed Baylor had to play an Overtime game in their first round game very 15-seed UTSA.

In more recent years, if you had reduced it to 32-teams we wouldn't have had 10-seed Oregon make it to the Elite 8, a run that put Oregon and Sabrina Ionescu and Co. into the media conversation. It would have cut 11-seed Central Michigan from the tournament and eliminated their run of upsets to the Sweet 16 (Where they lost to the 2-seed Oregon Ducks).

So, yeah, maybe 16-seeds don't beat 1-seeds (Sorry, Stanford and UVA [men's side] fans) but they aren't supposed to. Majority of the time, they aren't close, but in 2018, future National Champions Notre Dame, only beat Cal State Northridge by 18 in the first round. There have been some super close 2-seed/15-seed games (Oregon State only beat Long Beach State by 1 in 2017. In 2018, South Carolina needed all of A'ja Wilson to put away a pesky 15-seed in North Carolina A&T). Also, the 12-seed South Dakota State team from 2016, which was 14-seed in 2015 and lost to Oregon State in the first round, returned to the tournament in 2019 as a 6-seed and made it to the Sweet 16 where they gave 2-seed Oregon a run for their money. So, maybe that previous high seed experience helped get them some more recruits, maybe it helped with those future 6-seed seniors get NCAA tournament experience where they could perform on the big stage again. Now, maybe players who go to South Dakota State aren't just happy to make the tournament as a high digit seed, maybe they have shifted goals and dreams of winning and making it to the Sweet 16? It's all a growing experience for all involved. I'm sure the fans from Orem, Utah were happy to cheer on their Wolverines as they faced the Number 1 overall seed. In the future, J. Williams from Utah Valley can say they scored 18 points against the number 1 team in 2021. Maybe it's a bit long-winded and a fantastical view of March Madness, but I love this time of year, so I'm all for the Round of 64.
Oral Roberts, a 15-seed is in the Sweet Sixteen

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom