Too many awards??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Too many awards???

Reaction Score
The Athletic is in the process of being sold. Take a wild guess what the valuation was? $500 per subscriber for a service that I think costs less than $10 per month. Unbelievable huh. The business to be in now is the "data" business. Subscriber lists are valuable. High profit service businesses. Sports information is big business. We could take the top 10 posters here and probably create a multimillion dollar business model part time.

Reactions: mmt

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why did so many start pitching fits when children started getting participation trophies?…when we adults have been getting them for decades? Run a road race, everyone gets a medal at the finish line…Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Rugged Maniac, Spartan Race, Foam Fest, yes, yes, yes, yes…and yes…but the children! Most people knocking them likely have several of their own participation trophies kicking around somewhere.
I think you have things confused here. Getting across the finish line of a road race is an accomplishment & worthy of getting a medal. A participation trophy mentality would be handing out those medal out at the start line and not caring about who actually finishes the race or in what order-AKA thanks for "participating"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think you have things confused here. Getting across the finish line of a road race is an accomplishment & worthy of getting a medal. A participation trophy mentality would be handing out those medal out at the start line and not caring about who actually finishes the race or in what order-AKA thanks for "participating"
At a marathon a few years back, my niece noticed a couple of people wearing the race shirt at the start. She turned to my brother and me and said, "They shouldn't wear that shirt till they've EARNED it." (I think she was born after the Smith-Barney commercial.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't read any of these posts, but ... I definitely don't want to stop seeing

The Kibitzer Memorial Badass Award​

even if their are 30+ every year! Just a bad idea to denigrate such an award! :cool:

On other topics ... I don't pay much attention to the ESPN awards and limit my interest to the other older/more prestigious awards - I even find the new positional awards less than ideal - I like the Lieberman and I miss the Pomeroy (short people), but the others seem just a little much.

But I have no problem with sporting news organizations creating their own top player lists - I notice them when they are for players I like (Uconn) and ignore when they are for everyone else - just like I notice Uconn conference awards (BE or AAC) and ignore the other conferences awards - I have no idea who won BE awards when Uconn was in the AAC.

Reaction Score
I've never gotten a medal for anything shorter than 10 miles, and that I think only once. I don't think it's unreasonable to give someone a medal for running 13 or 26 miles (personally, I prefer when they give out something like pint glasses). Last I knew 2% of adults had completed a marathon. That's not everyone getting a medal. If anyone is giving medals out for 5k's, I agree that's a bit much.

I also have no problem with kids, especially younger kids, getting participation awards.

And if some media outlet wants to give out awards, that's fine, I don't need to pay attention.
I’ve never done a 5k where they didn’t give them to every single person crossing the line.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I’ve never done a 5k where they didn’t give them to every single person crossing the line.
I really don't have a dog in the fight but I've never done a 5K where I got anything at the finish line.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Don’t you want women’s hoops to have higher visibility?
Actually yes. My "award" fear is simply that the very prestigious awards, determined by relatively well qualified individuals, become lost among the many. I fear some of the additional awards will ultimately go to the most touted player, without any particular nuance to the selection.

I feel like we have seen that with the pre-season rankings. While I agree they are often not worth the paper they are printed on, over the years some organizations have put out lists that simply have no sense.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Athletic is in the process of being sold. Take a wild guess what the valuation was? $500 per subscriber for a service that I think costs less than $10 per month. Unbelievable huh. The business to be in now is the "data" business. Subscriber lists are valuable. High profit service businesses. Sports information is big business. We could take the top 10 posters here and probably create a multimillion dollar business model part time.
Not to get too far off topic here but Revenue and Valuation are not the same thing.

Reaction Score
I really don't have a dog in the fight but I've never done a 5K where I got anything at the finish line.
Same here. Just at the awards ceremony afterward.
Even if they did give out a shirt or medal-like trinket to all participants (who paid an entry fee by the way) it would certainly not be equated with an award. It is more or less a memento and something to feel good about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I liked it last year when "all" the awards went to Paige. :rolleyes:
Well, it was much easier to keep track of them. I think she may have even picked up the Lady Byng trophy from professional hockey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom