Too many awards??? | The Boneyard

Too many awards???

Reaction Score
Many people are turned off by the idea that every child deserves a trophy, that our society has turned into.... cause in point... Aliyah Boston was named the Athletic National Player of the Year. How many other individual awards are there out there? I have never heard of the Athletic NPOY... What are you thoughts about all these awards.... not saying Boston is not deserving but I do not even see what the criteria was that used to determine this...

Reaction Score
They aren't saying she's athletic, The Athletic is a popular sports magazine. No different than USA Today, College Hoops, SLAM All Americans etc. Women sports is growing and the more lists for others now means the more lists for UConn players later. Nothing to see here kindly.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Many people are turned off by the idea that every child deserves a trophy, that our society has turned into.... cause in point... Aliyah Boston was named the Athletic National Player of the Year. How many other individual awards are there out there? I have never heard of the Athletic NPOY... What are you thoughts about all these awards.... not saying Boston is not deserving but I do not even see what the criteria was that used to determine this...

There are way too many national player of the year awards, but this is being driven not so much by athletes demanding them as by organizations that are marketing that they are giving them, I think.

I subscribe to The Athletic (or, at least, their newsletter, I wanted to read something they had written). Don't often see a lot about women's basketball, but I will admit what I have seen seemed well done.

Reaction Score
Perhaps asking the athletes themselves this question might be a better approach? You know, the people actually putting in the hours instead of, "some people"?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I received my first, and unfortunately last, MOP in the Sterling House Community Center Basketball Tournament, in Stratford, CT when I was 8 years old, back in ancient times. Honestly, it wouldn’t have mattered to me if the award came from the corner gas station. My parents and I were thrilled.

Reaction Score

Congrats to Ms. Boston, who has played a great season of basketball.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I imagine that players would vote for more awards. Just as coaches would vote for more teams in post-season play
[64 up to 68 in The Dance] and more post-season events...like the NIT and the WNIT etc. They can then say to the AD when they get a pink slip:
" Hey you can't fire me..look I made the post-season...isn't that great?"

I occasionally see a TV commentator proposing the the NCAA tourney add one weekend of play...the field would go to
272 teams. Almost everybody gets in...throw in a few 'play-in' games and everyone is good enough to make the post-season.

Would prefer NO.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
The issue of why there are so many awards comes back to the vested interest of the entities granting them. If you want to be considered a major sports reporting organization you feel you should give your own awards and ratings in an attempt to improve your relevance, ratings, subscribers etc.

By giving a POY award The Athletic is bringing attention to themselves and increasing their visibility. Many on this board were probably already aware of The Athletic, but quite a few were not, but perhaps now they are because of this award. From that standpoint the award could be a great marketing success.

It seems like The Athletic has recruited some significant women's basketball beat writers in an attempt to create a successful subscription based model to cover women's basketball. I believe they are relatively new and trying to establish themselves. I have not subscribed, but confess I have thought about it.

As far as awards in general, there probably are too many, but at least this one is more of a case of so many POY awards from so many sources. At least it is for a very high level of achievement. What bothers me is the participation type medal or award given to mediocre performers or sometimes every participant in an event. Those IMO do more damage than good.

Reaction Score
As others have mentioned/suggested this is only a publication (Atlantic) award. The Atlantic also made Boston the National Player of the Year winner last year but we all know how that went.

For the second time in as many seasons, South Carolina junior forward Aliyah Boston has been named National Player of the Year by "The Athletic."

Reaction Score
Too many awards?
On the cordarone annoyance meter, that registers even lower than Meghan Culmo's (ahem) loquaciousness.
:shrug:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to disagree -I don't think there are enough awards. This is a sport that badly needs the publicity. Not to get too preachy here but UCONN fans need to lean forward a little bit. Villanova’s Maddy Siegrist is a terrific player and was named BIG EAST Women’s Basketball Player of the Year. Maddy plays a home game she typically plays in front of less than 900 fans. By contrast the Villanova men play in front of average crowds over 7000.

Reaction Score
Are you saying it's too many awards out there because its Boston and not a UConn player or do you really feel there's way too many awards?
I find your comment rather insulting. I say this because there are too many awards out there.... The Dawn Stanley award, the Lisa Lesley Award, the this award, the that award... I have thought this since way back to 2004... when there were a couple Player of the Year awards that went to Alana Beard.... yes I believed they should have gone to Taurasi... and that is not just because she was a UCONN player, but because she was the BEST...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The issue of why there are so many awards comes back to the vested interest of the entities granting them. If you want to be considered a major sports reporting organization you feel you should give your own awards and ratings in an attempt to improve your relevance, ratings, subscribers etc.

By giving a POY award The Athletic is bringing attention to themselves and increasing their visibility. Many on this board were probably already aware of The Athletic, but quite a few were not, but perhaps now they are because of this award. From that standpoint the award could be a great marketing success.

It seems like The Athletic has recruited some significant women's basketball beat writers in an attempt to create a successful subscription based model to cover women's basketball. I believe they are relatively new and trying to establish themselves. I have not subscribed, but confess I have thought about it.

As far as awards in general, there probably are too many, but at least this one is more of a case of so many POY awards from so many sources. At least it is for a very high level of achievement. What bothers me is the participation type medal or award given to mediocre performers or sometimes every participant in an event. Those IMO do more damage than good.
The Athletic chugs out a bunch of decent articles. They offer an introductory subscription for about dollar a month. It’s worth it, as the rating is pretty good and they pay a lot of attention to UConn.

Reaction Score

Why did so many start pitching fits when children started getting participation trophies?…when we adults have been getting them for decades? Run a road race, everyone gets a medal at the finish line…Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Rugged Maniac, Spartan Race, Foam Fest, yes, yes, yes, yes…and yes…but the children! Most people knocking them likely have several of their own participation trophies kicking around somewhere.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are way too many national player of the year awards, but this is being driven not so much by athletes demanding them as by organizations that are marketing that they are giving them, I think.

I subscribe to The Athletic (or, at least, their newsletter, I wanted to read something they had written). Don't often see a lot about women's basketball, but I will admit what I have seen seemed well done.
Don’t you want women’s hoops to have higher visibility?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Why did so many start pitching fits when children started getting participation trophies?…when we adults have been getting them for decades? Run a road race, everyone gets a medal at the finish line…Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Rugged Maniac, Spartan Race, Foam Fest, yes, yes, yes, yes…and yes…but the children! Most people knocking them likely have several of their own participation trophies kicking around somewhere.
I've never gotten a medal for anything shorter than 10 miles, and that I think only once. I don't think it's unreasonable to give someone a medal for running 13 or 26 miles (personally, I prefer when they give out something like pint glasses). Last I knew 2% of adults had completed a marathon. That's not everyone getting a medal. If anyone is giving medals out for 5k's, I agree that's a bit much.

I also have no problem with kids, especially younger kids, getting participation awards.

And if some media outlet wants to give out awards, that's fine, I don't need to pay attention.

Reaction Score
I love it! The more awards the better. Back in the day, there were only a few awards handed out. I am loving that WBB is getting so much attention now vs 20-30 years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom