Too High Expectations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Too High Expectations

Reaction Score
It’s gotta be Hamilton for me. There were times his freshman year that I thought he’d fit for sure develop into a future lottery pick. Great passing, great rebounding, complete stat sheet stiffer.

I’ll also add in Denham Brown. Great career here for sure - but there were moments his freshman year and especially the start of his sophomore year when he looked like the next “great one.”
Hamilton probably lives up to potential if he stayed one more year. I played in a charity golf tournament that year with ray allen and according to ray, hamilton just hated school and would not tolerate another year of classes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People saying Drummond are just ruthless. Kid was good in the best conference as a freshman. The vendetta against him here is really bizarre.

I could name so many guys from the Ollie era that were actual disappointments, but here’s a few. Comparing Drummond to these guys is insulting.

Wilson
Enoch
Gilbert

Reaction Score
People saying Drummond are just ruthless. Kid was good in the best conference as a freshman. The vendetta against him here is really bizarre.

I could name so many guys from the Ollie era that were actual disappointments, but here’s a few. Comparing Drummond to these guys is insulting.

Wilson
Enoch
Gilbert
Drummond was the top ranked player in his class before reclassifying. He performed well for a typical freshman, but he most certainly underperformed considering expectations and his ranking. Add in that the team as a whole underperformed significantly that season, and I think including him on this list is justified.

Reaction Score
I know this will not be popular but Rudy Gay. With the level of talent he had he shouldve been a one and done national player of the year once a generation type player. Maybe im wrong about what i saw but i really think he shouldve been an NBA superstar and he just never became anything near that. He had some good seasons but never even made an All Star team. Really believed he couldve been a lot more both in college and NBA.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Drummond was the top ranked player in his class before reclassifying. He performed well for a typical freshman, but he most certainly underperformed considering expectations and his ranking. Add in that the team as a whole underperformed significantly that season, and I think including him on this list is justified.
It’s not justified. How many freshmen average 12-7 in the Big East(back when the conference was the best)? His team under preforming has nothing to do with the conversation anyways. But even if it did, I’d place much more blame on Shabazz and Alex for mishandling the situation, than the freshmen. You’d swear he was Enoch the way some people talk about him.

Reaction Score
Scott Hazelton
Vance Jackson*
Rakim Lubin*
Kwinton Williams*

*Before I realized Kevin Ollie was longer good at his job.
I would omit Jackson. He had a decent shot and actually good footwork near the basket but rarely played there. He did better at his next stop as I remember, and would have helped us if he stayed.

The other three define pathetic.

Reaction Score
I was at UConn 2004-05 though 2007-08, so in general, my expectations were super high all the time, especially since the team won the tournament my senior year of HS, going to every home game in the front row, feeling that energy....

That being said, I had very high expectations for Ed Nelson.

When you hear "ACC Rookie of the Year" you don't expect a guy to average less than ten minutes per game and, don't mean to be rude, someone who is more known today for his rap music than his work on the court.

That being said, I can't blame the guy for an underwhelming performance when he was fighting for playing time with the likes of Boone, Villanueva, Hilton, and my favorite player while at school: Jeff Adrien.

Looking at his per-40 stats, however, Nelson remained very consistent with his production, even with his lack of PT:

View attachment 89348

The guy drops an iconic rap song while at UConn and you do him dirty like this?

“Take a ride in my pick up truck, baby you ‘bout ta get stuuuuuuuuuccckkkk”

Hoopcrazee

Hoopcrazee
Reaction Score
I know this will not be popular but Rudy Gay. With the level of talent he had he shouldve been a one and done national player of the year once a generation type player. Maybe im wrong about what i saw but i really think he shouldve been an NBA superstar and he just never became anything near that. He had some good seasons but never even made an All Star team. Really believed he couldve been a lot more both in college and NBA.
I was too intimidated to say Rudy Gay aswell....Definitely did not live up to hype..32% 3 pt shooter Soph year after 40% plus as frosh...did not help being on the 05-06 team that lost in SHOCKING and SICKENING fashion to George Mason

Reaction Score
I was too intimidated to say Rudy Gay aswell....Definitely did not live up to hype..32% 3 pt shooter Soph year after 40% plus as frosh...did not help being on the 05-06 team that lost in SHOCKING and SICKENING fashion to George Mason
Rudy Gay was a first-team All-American his sophomore year. Gotta think that’s enough to not be labeled a disappointment.

Reaction Score
I always thought Calhoun held Brian Fair back...guy couldnt miss from corner, but i think his defense wasnt up to snuff or confidence was down, so ended up on pine too much i thought

I have a memory of Calhoun falling off bike (or sick or something?) in early 1990s and missing game, so Howie coached...he played Fair and he shot lights out, big game...anyone have memory of this?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s not justified. How many freshmen average 12-7 in the Big East(back when the conference was the best)? His team under preforming has nothing to do with the conversation anyways. But even if it did, I’d place much more blame on Shabazz and Alex for mishandling the situation, than the freshmen. You’d swear he was Enoch the way some people talk about him.
There was just so many moving parts and distractions that year. Calhoun was in his last year with NCAA coming down on him for the BS APR, not sure he was in the best of health either. Oriakhi was feuding with Calhoun and getting his father involved. Then you had the bogus Boatright suspension twice.

The freshman on the 2011 team weren’t ready to lead yet I think Shabazz was but replacing Kemba had to be a collective effort and sacrifice.

Reaction Score
Rudy Johnson, great athleticism I thought he could be a 15 & 8 ish guy for huskies and loved him filling the lane on break. Lost time to health then never fully put it back together.

Reaction Score
Smoke and mirrors
Yeah the kid had the goods but way too much baggage and many knew about it but decided to turn a blind eye.
He let the team down in so many ways - the story will come out some day.
I feel sorry for the kid but he is his own worse enemy and shame on those who knew and didn't step in.
Until it “comes out” everything you just spouted is BS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom