Tony Sparano....Should we? | The Boneyard

Tony Sparano....Should we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also got let go. He seems to know ol and could be a successor to p.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
No thanks I've got sunglasses

Reaction Score
Sparano is a damn good coach, but I want to see some damn youth on the staff, we have enough guys that can't figure out twitter and text messaging already, what we really need is a proven, young dynamo recruiter on staff.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sparano is a damn good coach, but I want to see some damn youth on the staff, we have enough guys that can't figure out twitter and text messaging already, what we really need is a proven, young dynamo recruiter on staff.

Some old guys tweet.
@TomScrapBradley

I still think he's a solid choice. And a solid recruiter.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

Unsincitivi yong bsrtrad. Thunk poply me ago cbn't furgur owt a kybord? I cun tezt masage reely goof. But I can't run an offense.

Reaction Score
Unsincitivi yong bsrtrad. Thunk poply me ago cbn't furgur owt a kybord? I cun tezt masage reely goof. But I can't run an offense.
Don't take it the wrong way pops. Ima about to turn 37, and even I have trouble understanding twitter, but my job isn't to relate to 17-18, year olds and convince them to come hang out with me for the next four years.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don't take it the wrong way pops. Ima about to turn 37, and even I have trouble understanding twitter, but my job isn't to relate to 17-18, year olds and convince them to come hang out with me for the next four years.

Just teasing. But you are a year younger than my youngest kid. I actually think I relate okay to teens, being childish myself, but I think the issue isn't age so much as longevity on the job. Having a staff made up largely of guys not far off from retiring isn't a great idea. I'm not sure a 40 year old necessarily relates to teens or wants to hang out with them. But I think the program really needs coaches who are not at the end of a career if it wants to send an unwritten message to recruits. There is no doubt in my mind that PP knows football, his biggest fault might be loyalty to guys whose schemes weren't working. Not too many teams outright embarrassed us. Younger doesn't mean better either, but there needs to be some far-sighted hiring.

BTW, I know how to text, and I even know how to twitter, but think it's the height of vanity. Having recently had a teen nephew live with us for a few years, I've had maximum exposure. But seeing how he used text, twitter and Facebook, almost interchangeably as a means of communication, I haven't the foggiest idea why anyone would choose the latter two for conversation that should be private. Text at least has that virtue. Regards, Pops.

Reaction Score
A big yes to Tony Sparano, the runner up NFL coach of the year in 2008, a Parcells/Coughlin protege with CT ties and a power running scheme (no zone blocking).

BTW everyone who touches Mark Sanchez gets fired and the sunglasses are a medical issue.

Reaction Score
According to what i read he was making 500000 3 year contract with the jets. Is that doable for uconn. Can we afford him. Would he work for pasqualoni type money? Maybe have him and pasqualoni together for a few years then hand the reins over to him. He is 51 years old. Can he be frustrated with the nfl and want to go home and make a cool 1.5 million coaching kids?

Reaction Score
According to what i read he was making 500000 3 year contract with the jets. Is that doable for uconn. Can we afford him. Would he work for pasqualoni type money? Maybe have him and pasqualoni together for a few years then hand the reins over to him. He is 51 years old. Can he be frustrated with the nfl and want to go home and make a cool 1.5 million coaching kids?

He'll still be making that money from the Jets with a college contract.

Reaction Score
As a jets fan, my first reaction is to stay as far away from this guy as possible. But when you really think about it, his offense is suited to win in college. A power running game can win at UConn. I just don't know what his background is at the college level and how he would recruit.

Reaction Score
we all b**** and moan about the dreaded wildcat every time that McCummings goes into the game, and now were discussing if we should bring in the coach that invented that horrid offense?

Reaction Score
Sparano was very successful as the HC at DII, University of New Haven from 1994-1998. He lead the to the DII title game in 1997, where they fell to, then, DII powerhouse Northern Colorado. He's a run-first guy, he can recruit CT, NY, and NJ, and is a great OL coach. My brother played for him. He's an intense no nonsense guy, who has a reputation for developing RBs, QBs, and OL. He coached a number of Harlon Hill Trophy (DII equivalent of the Heisman) finalists, including Harlon Hill winner Roger Graham (RB).

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/13/s...-haven-just-a-step-from-division-ii-peak.html

Reaction Score
we all b**** and moan about the dreaded wildcat every time that McCummings goes into the game, and now were discussing if we should bring in the coach that invented that horrid offense?

He didn't invent the "Wildcat". He used it somewhat successfully while HC of the Dolphins but he didn't invent it.

http://www.coachwyatt.com/wildcat.html

Reaction Score
And why would he come to UConn unless it was as head coach? Is UConn in the position to up the assistants salaries? Should they be until P gets the team back in a bowl game of meaning?

Reaction Score
And why would he come to UConn unless it was as head coach? Is UConn in the position to up the assistants salaries? Should they be until P gets the team back in a bowl game of meaning?
Well If he wants to give back to his state and make a decent living and get away from the prima Donna nfl. And he is a Wastie !! If I was ward this would be a situation I would be doin more than monitoring. Getting him would make burton forget about losing out on addazio. It may even bring peace to the boneyard and keep HFD out of the asylum

Reaction Score
Hard to tell if Sparano was bad because of Sanchez or vice versa.

He seems to be part of the same dreaded CT coaching fraternity that gave us P to begin with. Tainted in my book. Would be willing to hear arguments to the contrary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom