Tonight's scrimmage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tonight's scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib - Did you catch a glimpse of the new commits and/or Miss Wilson??

From the TV vantage point, the whole atmosphere seemed really impressive in a high-tech, spectacular kind of way...I hope A'ja liked it! I loved the blue glow sticks....great touch.

P.S. I'm not a lover of high-tech for its own sake. I typically like low-key and simple, but I will give credit where I feel it is due. IMHO the First Night festivities are a good time to pull out all the stops.

I was too far from recruit seating to identify individual recruits and gauge their reactions to the proceedings.

They truly "pulled out all the stops" which, by the way, derives (British idiom) from playing of pipe organs. Apparently, as an organist pulls out stops, the volume of air to the pipes is increased with a corresponding increase in volume. Well, we had no pipe organ in Gampel but the decibel count was off the charts, the joint was really rocking, and the thousands of blue sticks and images floating about the ceiling were imaginative and rousing hi-tech applications that could not have been fully transposed to tv.

As for A'ja? I have no inside information but my expectation is that she will find Geno's offer to team up with Breanna, Morgan, Moriah, Courtney, Sadie, Saniya and Gabby to be irresistible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Noooooo he surprised me with tickets to the Stanford game last year in Palo Alto. He also knows all the UConn players by name and told me that if we get a dog (I want a Husky, but we live in Texas) that we could name her Kelly Faris.
Kelly Faris for the formal name but I you should honor the pup calling her Omnu.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lawson had TN at 5 vs Lobo at 3!!! Kara better be careful next time she travels to TN!
Really enjoying this combo on the mike.
watching it now 4:30am (ESPN app)... just thinking "geesh Lawson loves UConn/Connecticut more than she likes Tennesee these days"

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
was Marissa wearing a catsuit?

:eek: If so, that's the only part of the show I need to see :D I'd had completely forgotten about her being on the coaching staff.... i gotta get tickets for the game in Cameron now ;)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Kara really seems to enjoy CT overall, work, region and teams.

No so much the CT Sun anymore. I'd love to know the full story on that. Seems to have started with dismissing Coach T and went downhill from there through her injuries and her family issues. I really thought she'd spend her the rest of her career here.:(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was there. Just got home.

I thought the coed scrimmage was an inspired idea before they did it and I am convinced now that I saw it. No other school would dare do it and yet UConn (thanks to Geno and Kevin) pulled it off masterfully.

The show itself (from about 7 to 7:30) was beyond fabulous. Rapid fire film clips of UConn men and women highlights and messages like "27 All Americans" and "Eleven National Championships" flashing on the screen. Rebecca and Kara on camera for ESPN and SNY cameras recording for future screening. All before a full house, next door to that massive practice facility under construction.

Then Geno's comment about how to respond to any question about the league (conference) UConn plays in: "We are in a league of our own! We are UConn!"

I will not be at all surprised if Geno closes the deal with A'ja tomorrow.

I will be surprised if Geno closes the deal with A'ja this weekend, but not if she chooses UConn in the end - whenever that is. She has made it plain that she wants to develop her game to the max and go as far as she can- Olympics etc. The simply is no coach in WCBB who can hold a candle to Geno and staff when it comes to player development. Whether it is WNBA teams who know a Geno grad already has the pro game down or an Olympic selection committee (4 out of 7 collegians this fall), the choice for someone who genuinely wants to take it to the limit is very clear.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Geno...outcoached thus far??? ;)

He was saving it for the end.

I thought I was about to witness a rare loss by a team coached by Geno.

Reaction Score
He was saving it for the end.

I thought I was about to witness a rare loss by a team coached by Geno.

Well he didn't lose but he cheated per the agreed upon rules as I understood them. At the 1:17 mark in the second half to the end of the game he had 5 male players on the court - Kevin had 3 women. If I were Kevin, I would file a formal protest. :) I will give Geno kudos, he certainly has no lose competitive streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom