Tonight: Diamond & Malik | The Boneyard

Tonight: Diamond & Malik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
8pm ESPNU, replay of U17 final vs Australia.

game is actually being played now, or maybe already over...via espn3.com or whatever they call it.

I will watch tonight.

Reaction Score
@ebosshoops: USA is world champions of #FIBAU17. Really impressive fight out of Australia. USA wins 99-92.

Reaction Score
Newman was tournament MVP and Stone was on the all tournament team.

Reaction Score
Im watching it right now. First time seeing either player outside of highlight clips.

Newman looks like he would be a great fit for UConn at 2 guard. He can really score, but also has point guard skills. Then again, I'm trying to keep in mind that he was mostly defended by an Australian midget. Still looked very good though.

Stone is definitely more raw than I expected, on both ends of the court. A really nice prospect, but very raw all the way around.

Reaction Score
I watched it as well. Stone does look more raw than I expected but he is a strong physical presence with room to grow. He looked agile and just needs to improve his skillset. Newman looked OK. He is a good #2 ball handler (ala Ben Gordon), but if he comes to UCONN he won't be the 1. Has a nice midrange game, although he seems a bit streaky. Nice athlete as well. My only other thought was that Josh Jackson (#2 player on ESPN 2016 list) looked like an amazing talent. That kid is a freakish athlete, had a great defensive game, rebounded well, and has a nice looking shot. Played under control, didn't force anything and had an amazing offensive rebound / dunk and was fouled. He lives in Michigan, so don't know if we will pursue him, but kid has NBA spelled all over him.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I did not watch any of this game at all. That said, Malik Newman was the MVP of the U-17 World Games this year and the U-16 games last year. The kid is probably pretty damn good...Stone was also all tournament. We watch a ton of college basketball so we compare their skills to the most skilled college players and that is not always fair. Jackson is really good, he is also the same age as Stone, Newman and most of the 2015 kids.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I have to admit that I did not watch any of this game at all. That said, Malik Newman was the MVP of the U-17 World Games this year and the U-16 games last year. The kid is probably pretty damn good...Stone was also all tournament. We watch a ton of college basketball so we compare their skills to the most skilled college players and that is not always fair. Jackson is really good, he is also the same age as Stone, Newman and most of the 2015 kids.

I agree comparing them to college kids is not fair but obviously is natural for us to do. But I'm in on any of these kids, they are there (USA team) for a reason. Think about all the non McDonald all americans we bring in and develop into key parts of our success (and into future pros). So bring in any of these guys and they're destined for greatness ha. (As long as they are good kids and have the right attitude of course)

Reaction Score
Thanks for everyone's insights as I missed it. Where in particular did Stone appear to have the most room for improvement? Any comparable UConn big men he conjured to you 33 or askgreek?

Reaction Score
Watching a recording of the game now and have completely fell in love with Newman's game. He's really good at creating space for his J off the bounce.

He's also good at attacking the basket. He's got a PG handle and is a very good rebounder.

He'd be a nice fit for UConn. With Adams
already in the fold, we have a lot if guards for 2015. I'd still take him if he wants to come here. We'd likely play a lot of 3-G sets.

I'll be happy with any combination of Adams, Newman, Jones, Clarke, Stone, Batista and Enoch.

Reaction Score
Stone seems to need improvement in all aspects of his game. He's big, athletic, and he can dunk. Other than that he really doesn't seem to have much offensive or defensive game at this point. Keep in mind, my observation is based only on this one game.

Reaction Score
Thirty Three said:
Stone seems to need improvement in all aspects of his game. He's big, athletic, and he can dunk. Other than that he really doesn't seem to have much offensive or defensive game at this point. Keep in mind, my observation is based only on this one game.

Also keep in mind that your post is basically the complete opposite of the book on him, so maybe you caught an off night.

Reaction Score
Also keep in mind that your post is basically the complete opposite of the book on him, so maybe you caught an off night.

I watched every minute of every game, some of then more than once. And I actually agree with the previous poster, the more I watch Stone the more I think his game needs work.

For someone with his size he should not struggle to hold his position in the post as often as he does. I have had questions about him for a long time and seem to be lower on him than 99% of people. He rarely goes up against other elite big men, hiding on the UA circuit. The few times he did go up against Elijah Thomas he got pushed around and against Skal Labissiere he struggled with his athleticism.

There is alot to like about Stone, he is huge, he moves very well, he is a very good rebounder and solid rim protector. But something isn't there, he just doesn't seem competitive, that drive doesn't seem to be there. Maybe that changes on the next level when the competition or coaching pushes him.

He is a very good player but I believe him to be over hyped. I think his handlers have done a great job marketing him and his strengths while hiding his weaknesses. And more importantly, very early on they made his name synonymous with the HANDS DOWN best player in the class in Malik Newman. Newman is an absolute beast, they knew and they locked on.

Stone will be more of a project than people think; reminds me alot of Will Cauley-Stein.

Reaction Score
Watching a recording of the game now and have completely fell in love with Newman's game. He's really good at creating space for his J off the bounce.

He's also good at attacking the basket. He's got a PG handle and is a very good rebounder.

He'd be a nice fit for UConn. With Adams
already in the fold, we have a lot if guards for 2015. I'd still take him if he wants to come here. We'd likely play a lot of 3-G sets.

I'll be happy with any combination of Adams, Newman, Jones, Clarke, Stone, Batista and Enoch.

Nice post. But I believe you mean Baptiste not Batista

Reaction Score
Batista> Cuba > is he available? Umm didn't Michael Corleone take him out.

Reaction Score
I did not see the game but I've seen tapes and whether he needs "work" or not the kid has exactly what we could use. And I am sure our coaches will instill the necessary toughness to hold his ground in the low post. He has skills and he will be a very nice get for whomever, but hopefully it is us!

pj

Reaction Score
As long as he's not Mandeldove, I want him.

Reaction Score
Then again, I'm trying to keep in mind that he was mostly defended by an Australian midget.

You should have seen the game against the Philippines. The tallest player on their entire team was shorter than Newman.

Reaction Score
Never post on here and have watched alot of theses games.......everyone is dead on about newman. He has looked really really good. Really good. But I also thought Stone looked good. I disagree with the poster who said he didn't look hungry. Lots of times he looked like he was maybe a little to Demarcus cousins attitude wise. Stare downs and getting in the other players faces. Not saying it was over the top but I definitely noticed it and was thinking if he was a uconn guy. We are all different and see different things but just what I saw. If we are talking his game of course it needs work but what high school player doesnt.......he looked like he is exactly where a top high school player should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom