Tom Moore Expected To Return To UConn As Part Of Dan Hurley's Staff | The Boneyard

Tom Moore Expected To Return To UConn As Part Of Dan Hurley's Staff

Reaction Score
Tom has coaching background, and UConn pedigree. Very good fit, as opposed to elevating alumni with no coaching experience.

In addition Tom will help Coach immensely in his adjustment at UConn. I might add also comforting our many illustrious former players (i.e. UConn family) who may have reservations about the Ollie decision.

Very good move.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have heard from a very connected source he is bringing most if not all of the rest of his staff as well. You had to figure Blaney's kid would be coming, anyway I don't see a role for Chillious.
Hearing this as well, except there maybe be an assistant opening depends on what happens with Cox at URI. Chillious may stay, but I don't think Associate Head Coach would be in play for him.

Reaction Score
Hearing this as well, except there maybe be an assistant opening depends on what happens with Cox at URI. Chillious may stay, but I don't think Associate Head Coach would be in play for him.
At URI, DH's assistant Cox purportedly holds some double secret kind of head coach in waiting status tied to his Associate Head Coach title. If so, there's 1 role Danny Boy gets to hire at UConn.

Reaction Score
Tom Moore Expected To Return To UConn As Part Of Dan Hurley's Staff

Excellent. Keep Chillious and I think that's a great staff.

What exactly has Chillious done in his brief stay at Uconn? He struck out on every name that was associated with him when he first came here and I've seen no evidence that he was doing any better lately. He has zero reputation as an Xs and Os guy, so if he's not bringing in the big time recruits why does he get the love?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What exactly has Chillious done in his brief stay at Uconn? He struck out on every name that was associated with him when he first came here and I've seen no evidence that he was doing any better lately. He has zero reputation as an Xs and Os guy, so if he's not bringing in the big time recruits why does he get the love?
Maybe unfair due to the timing of his hiring, but yeah I agree. Wish him well though.

Reaction Score
Retaining chill or not may depend on whether he's willing to step down from being associate head coach, and simply focusing on recruiting as a lower paid assistant. Xs and Os-wise, he hasn't exactly been effective at UW or Uconn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Brief stay is the operative word here
You nor I know what he was or is working on so your speculation is lame
The guy is a proven recruiter and has mega connections - I doubt if anyone including DH and/or TM has what he has
But, Chill is the AHC and my guess Tom Moore steps into that spot - doubt if Chill accepts a demotion unless they pay him same money and utilize him as the recruiter.
IMHO - DH needs him, at least in the next few years, but if he doesn't stay he will hook up with someone else in no time and UConn will have to compete against him

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
From what I've heard he's a worker. Dude is tireless on the trail and is a first one in, last one out type of presence. Also has an eye for under-the-radar talent.

I'm not going to be heartbroken if he's not kept on. But at the same time I'm not going to judge him for not saving this past year's sinking ship on, like, 2 months' notice.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tyron Boswell (Rhode Island), one of the URI assistants super connected in the recruiting/AAU world? I know he had a brief legal issue, but if he comes along, he's your Chillious.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For all the people talking about Chill, I think it's unlikely. Hurley has his own ace recruiter with deep AAU ties. It's much more likely that he comes over as well than that Chill sticks around. It's possible that Cox may want that guy at URI as well, if he gets the HC job.

I don't see the fascination will Chillious. He's been here a year and hasn't done much of anything. Hurley needs guys he knows and is comfortable with.

Reaction Score
Would be alright with retaining Coach Chill, especially after him making the commitment to move out here and join a struggling program. No one is down playing how big the Moore hiring is but bringing on Tom Moore is ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE. You're talking about a guy who at one point was thought to be the successor to Calhoun in the haydays. Although he struggled as a head coach, he's a tremendous resource in terms of helping Hurley get acclimated with fans, recruits, staff, etc. The lay of the land around Uconn has changed tremendously since he left, but the values and foundations that JC built the program on were all dug into the ground with Tom Moore by his side.

Tom Moore is a Uconn guy for life regardless of where he's been or who he's coached. I was lucky enough to meet him last year around this time in Dog Lane over in Storrs Center, he was sitting down to have lunch with Dee Rowe and told me how happy it made him to be back on campus just as a visitor. We're happy to have you back coach!

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Calhoun kept Howie when he came in.

He'll hire who he wants. With Moore being one, I don't really care about the others. One should be a solid recruiter. If he likes Chill, fine.

Reaction Score
Tom has coaching background, and UConn pedigree. Very good fit, as opposed to elevating alumni with no coaching experience.

In addition Tom with help Coach immensely in his adjustment at UConn. I might add also comforting our many illustrious former players (i.e. UConn family) who may have reservations about the Ollie decision.

Very good move.
Very good point by you and RoderickSpode. Keeps some connection with the UConn alums.

Also, I noticed in the article that Tom Moore has been commuting to URI from his home in Tolland. He commuted from Tolland to Quinnipiac for 9 years. We know that Hurley had some reservations about uprooting his family so I wonder if Moore told Hurley that it wasn't a big deal to do the commute. I've been told that Hurley's older son is at Seton Hall and the younger son is either a sophomore or junior in high school. So if he has to commute it's only for another year or two until his younger son is off to college and then they can sell their RI home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom