Tom Crean Out At Indiana | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tom Crean Out At Indiana

Reaction Score
I've talked to a few Indiana fans who have lusted over Brad Stevens, hoping he would tire quickly of the NBA.
I'm sure Indiana has checked on his interest and I've sure he's told them he's got none at least yet

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Well when the AD wouldn't even give him a home game in the NIT it was pretty clear his time was over.
IU was pretty much gangster about it - " no you will not desecrate our home court
With this NIT foolishness and yes , your fired". Beautiful

Reaction Score
Crean had top 10 offenses 4 of the last 6 years in Indiana, but his defenses were suspect (never in top 20). He was more balanced at Marquette, especially in '08, which is the year that got him the job (not Wade). Matthews, McNeal and James. The '09 Marquette team that he left to Buzz Williams was absolutely loaded. Those 3 seniors + soph Jimmy Butler and jr Lazar Hayward. Criminal they didn't get to sweet sixteen, but they were a 6 seed due to a 4 game losing streak to end the regular season because the Big East was ridiculous that year (3 of the 4 losses were to KenPom top 5(!) teams including UConn and the other was to #16 Syracuse in OT).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Crean will end up in the American some where, the graveyard of college coaching.

Reaction Score
"Quite frankly, I do it for the kids and it was a job I couldn't pass up" - Jim Calhoun

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I've talked to a few Indiana fans who have lusted over Brad Stevens, hoping he would tire quickly of the NBA.
I'm sure Indiana has checked on his interest and I've sure he's told them he's got none at least yet
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Maybe UConn can fire Ollie and hire Popovich.

Reaction Score
Crean will end up in the American some where, the graveyard of college coaching.
He'd be a pretty great addition to the league to be fair.

Also, the NBA name I've seen IU folks tossing about isn't Stevens, it's Billy Donovan. Would be a great hire but my impression is he left Florida because he was tired of trying to recruit against Squid, and that's obviously not going to change if he's at IU.

EDIT: This is all predicated on the so-far-unsupportable-notion that he's tired of coaching Russell Westbrook for some reason.

Reaction Score
He told Katz just a couple of days ago that if he was not playing for Crean, he would love to play for Bohiem. We will see what happens.

I didn't hear that quote so thanks for that. But a kid who is a borderline first round pick isn't going to sit out a year. Especially for a coach who may or may not be retired. And in addition, IU is most likely going to sign a stud coach to replace Crean who will have have a great resume to sway Bryant to return, if he doesn't go pro.

Reaction Score
I didn't hear that quote so thanks for that. But a kid who is a borderline first round pick isn't going to sit out a year. Especially for a coach who may or may not be retired. And in addition, IU is most likely going to sign a stud coach to replace Crean who will have have a great resume to sway Bryant to return, if he doesn't go pro.

Yeah, you are probably correct, plus he would have to sit a year and no way Boehiem lasts 2 more seasons at Cuse.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that if they called Gregg Marshall at Wichita State he would listen.

Reaction Score
With Durant gone from OKC, they could probably get Billy D.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that if they called Gregg Marshall at Wichita State he would listen.

This seems like a home run fire for both teams. Mack and Archie are very good candidates but not quite as impressive as Greg IMO.

Reaction Score
Indiana talking about a salary of $4-5 million a year. Almost any coach in NCAA would listen to that. Every single coach at every school says they are happy where they are and they plan to stay there for years. They have to say that for recruiting purposes. There are a lot of "happy" coaches who would quickly become happier if that kind of money was flashed at them.

Reaction Score
Tom Crean?.....that's the guy that looks like Tom Arnold, right?

I always thought he was closer to Max Weinberg.

Weinberg:

200px-Max_Weinberg.jpg

Crean:

330px-Tom-Crean.jpg

Reaction Score
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Maybe UConn can fire Ollie and hire Popovich.

What's so dumb about the IU people hoping Stevens would grow tired of the NBA? I realize he's been really good with the C's but who knows with his Indiana ties this could have been a dream job. They have the cash there too if he was interested in returning.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Tubby Smith Kelvin Sampson Tom Crean. Yup he's coming to (the) America(n)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes the coach of the second best team in the eastern conference is leaving for the 9th best team in the Big10 conference.

Reaction Score
Why not hire Bob Knight.
Not in a million years. The teachers union would revolt. Besides, he'd probably go into cardiac arrest the next time he throws a chair. What's possible and maybe even more fantastic is IU reaches out to JC, Pete Gillen, Tim Welsh, or Fran Frischilla. Maybe Rick Barnes too but not sure what his present contract is.

Reaction Score
Tubby Smith Kelvin Sampson Tom Crean. Yup he's coming to (the) America(n)

Regardless

All this means this is a tougher conference. Smith and Sampson are solid. Dunleavy Dawkins SMU all are advances. So a Crean and whomever ... UConn fans should laid that.

Evidence that our Conference schools spend money. This is a reason we will be better than the CAA, A 10 & MWC. Plus you don't have to schlepp to Olean, NY.

Reaction Score
Yes the coach of the second best team in the eastern conference is leaving for the 9th best team in the Big10 conference.

They'll probably pay about the same. Stevens was making 3.6 on last deal before it got extended (terms unknown) and Crean was making 3 without nearly the pedigree.

But yes, it's probably ludicrous to speculate about, even if I wouldn't be surprised if it was on a shortlist of his dream jobs (they won 2 titles in his formative years growing up 1.5hr from the campus in Indiana). He's not going anywhere until he gets bored or struggles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom