OT: - Tom Brady retires... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tom Brady retires...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Great career Tommy. Now get out there and sell those massages and that miracle juice. ;)
He could probably run for governor of Florida and win. They love him down here. Between the Bucs and the Lightning, Tampa Bay has become Champa Bay. The Rays won their division, which was enough to make people giddy, too.

1643577196700.jpeg

Reaction Score
He could probably run for governor of Florida and win. They love him down here. Between the Bucs and the Lightning, Tampa Bay has become Champa Bay. The Rays won their division, which was enough to make people giddy, too.

View attachment 72843
I lived down there for the first 17 years of his career and they hated him until he signed with the Bucs. Now he's gonna ditch Tampa for the new place he's building at Billionaires Bunker in Miami. Back to normal for the Bucs next year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Has anyone heard Brady say he is retiring?

I didn't think so!

Reaction Score
The best pocket-passer ever to play the game. An unparalleled leader. Absolutely fearless. One of the smartest QBs of his generation. Unrivalled in career value and the ability to play at an elite level well into his 40s. And a mountain of records, some of which may never be broken. Undoubtedly, among the very best at his position to ever play the game.

But let’s not kid ourselves. Brady did not win 7 SBs. His teams did. And that means teams with great defenses. By way of illustration, consider that in 324 of Brady’s career starts with New England, the Patriots defense never gave up more than 44 points in any game. Ever. It happened to Aaron Rodgers’ Packers 3x in 10 playoff losses, while in 5 of those losses the Packers D gave up 37+ points. By comparison, the Pats D gave up 37+ points only 8x during Brady’s entire 324-game career with the team.

During the Brady era, the Patriots defense was in the top ten “fewest points allowed” in 17 of 19 seasons. (Re-read last sentence.) A cursory review shows no other team even remotely close to that combination of sustained defensive dominance and HOF QB performance. In years Brady received a SB ring, his team’s defenses were ranked #6, 1, 2, 8, 1, 7, and 8. Comparisons with other teams featuring generational QB talents (Marino’s Dolphins; Brees’ Saints; Rivers’ Chargers;’ Roethlisberger’s’ Steelers; Manning’s Colts; Rodgers’ Packers; etc.) confirm the invariable relationship between good defense and post-season success. Anecdotal evidence (a dubious but entertaining source) shows that relatively average QB play coupled with superior defenses prevails over superior offenses harnessed to porous defense.

Bottom line: SB wins are so closely correlated with strong defenses as to almost rise to the level of a law of nature.

Reaction Score
Tom gets $15 million if he's on the roster on Friday. I don't expect a retirement before then.
What I'm hearing about the contract is utterly stupid. The 2 lawyers that negotiated this: 1 must have been really smart, and the other not so much...

Reaction Score
Tom gets $15 million if he's on the roster on Friday. I don't expect a retirement before then.
You think he'll want to take the PR hit for him and the businesses he's cranking up by grabbing the 15M and then retiring a week or month later. Plus after professing his gratitude for the Tampa organization, he'll leave them hanging about finding a new QB? Then there will be the Bucs challenge to get the money back playing out in public. I don't see it.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do think it was just a matter of somebody with knowledge of his decision leaking it and Brady just wanted to
do it on his own terms.

Reaction Score
The greatest that ever was, very cerebral, very driven, incredible accuracy, and someone that never gave up, ever. One of those super rare persons who was a culture changer, he made everyone better. Thank you Tom, what a run, what a time it was to be a Patriots fan and what you did at Tampa Bay will never be forgotten.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Draft pick #199. Player evaluation is a very inexact (non) science.

Reaction Score
Suspect that one of some of the factors that contributed to Tom's retirement was sone of the same reasons that got him to Tampa Bay. Arians has a reputation of being a looser coach than Belichick regarding attention to details. While this may have been initially intriguing to Brady, this year it likely led to more missed assignments. You could see the missed receiver routes and blocks in the playoffs, some that lead to heavy hits on Brady and contributed to the final loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom