Today's culture of transfers | The Boneyard

Today's culture of transfers

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
North Carolina arrived in Greater Phoenix this weekend unique in two feats. The Tar Heels were the only team reappearing in the Final Four for a consecutive season, and that might not be their most impressive deed. In a climate of rampant player movement, they have not seen a player transfer out since Larry Drew II in February 2011, which might as well be a lifetime of seasons ago. Only two other teams in this NCAA tournament — Maryland and Princeton — had not experienced a player transferring in the past two offseasons, according to data USA Today compiled. Just three other schools — Temple, Furman and William & Mary — belonged to that group in all of Division I.

North Carolina basketball never loses transfers, in an age when every team does

Reaction Score
North Carolina arrived in Greater Phoenix this weekend unique in two feats. The Tar Heels were the only team reappearing in the Final Four for a consecutive season, and that might not be their most impressive deed. In a climate of rampant player movement, they have not seen a player transfer out since Larry Drew II in February 2011, which might as well be a lifetime of seasons ago. Only two other teams in this NCAA tournament — Maryland and Princeton — had not experienced a player transferring in the past two offseasons, according to data USA Today compiled. Just three other schools — Temple, Furman and William & Mary — belonged to that group in all of Division I.

North Carolina basketball never loses transfers, in an age when every team does

Pretty simple answer though right? They would have to go to classes at other schools.;) (well most wouldn't transfer to Kentucky anyway if they can't play at UNC lol)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's really weird how kids don't seem to think twice about leaving. Hell, I see it at my job. If a parent doesn't like the kid's third grade teacher they move him to a different class. It's just another piece in our culture of entitlement

Reaction Score
It is what it is. If a kid isn't happy he should go. Coaches recruit kids and leave for other jobs all the time.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can you imagine what it would be like if they didn't have to sit out a year?
It'd be like dating in middle school. The absolute worst thing imaginable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
These kids move around from AAU team to AAU team, from high school to high school. They grow up with the idea that moving around to find the "best situation" for them is the way to do it. I imagine it will only increase as time goes by.
I don't see the problem. Coaches leave at will for the "best situation", why not players?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A kid gets to play college basketball once in his life. I completely understand if that kid wants to find a place that is more to his style or where there is more playing time available or whatever will make them happy.

I recommend everyone treat their job the same way.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. Coaches leave at will for the "best situation", why not players?
Because then Kentucky would start poaching your players every offseason on top of the ones they are beating you for on the recruiting trail. Would absolutely destroy balance.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
It'd be like dating in middle school. The absolute worst thing imaginable.
Dating in middle school is the worst thing imaginable?

I used to think I knew how I felt about this, but I'm not so sure now. If the year off is rescinded, it'll be yet another weapon the P5 can use to hammer mid majors into dust. Yet a kid should be given the freedom to get out of a bad situation without arbitrary penalties. Maybe they should get one mulligan, available only as an underclassmen. I don't know...

Reaction Score
Because then Kentucky would start poaching your players every offseason on top of the ones they are beating you for on the recruiting trail. Would absolutely destroy balance.
This statement is really weird...

The last player I can think of that transfered to UK was Ryan harrow from NC state and he was a total bust.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
These kids move around from AAU team to AAU team, from high school to high school. They grow up with the idea that moving around to find the "best situation" for them is the way to do it. I imagine it will only increase as time goes by.

It's crazy, I see it at a lower level, in high school, and not even in one of these "high school" basketball factories.

It's a traditional league, but every decent kid is talking ot considering transferring to the "best situation" every year, sometimes multiple times within a year.

It's ridiculous, and obviously the higher level you get, the more prevalent it is.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's really weird how kids don't seem to think twice about leaving. Hell, I see it at my job. If a parent doesn't like the kid's third grade teacher they move him to a different class. It's just another piece in our culture of entitlement
I recommend everyone treat their job the same way.

As far as jobs go, it makes sense. Quite often, you build up your salary level a lot faster by moving jobs, rather than waiting on raises.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

He wasn't talking about sitting out a year. He was talking about transferring in general.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Dating in middle school is the worst thing imaginable?

I used to think I knew how I felt about this, but I'm not so sure now. If the year off is rescinded, it'll be yet another weapon the P5 can use to hammer mid majors into dust. Yet a kid should be given the freedom to get out of a bad situation without arbitrary penalties. Maybe they should get one mulligan, available only as an underclassmen. I don't know...

No way. Then you recruit a kid, he blows up, then goes to UK. It'd be a terrible thing. Sitting out a year, while far than ideal, is the only solution to this thing.

It's impossible to implement something like that with coaches, because it puts an entire program on hold for a year. That could be enough to set it back a half a decade.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
He wasn't talking about sitting out a year. He was talking about transferring in general.
No, he was asking if sitting out a year is really necessary because coaches aren't subjected to the same penalty. It's absolutely necessary otherwise the entire effort of recruiting a player for years is a waste of time, each offseason would just turn into big program free agency. Filling holes in the roster each new year with the best experienced players from around the country with no penalty or wait period. Disaster.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This statement is really weird...

The last player I can think of that transfered to UK was Ryan harrow from NC state and he was a total bust.
Did you even read what is being talked about? What does Ryan Harrow have to do with this?

Someone said was proposing that transfers sitting out a year is necessary because coaches don't need to do the same thing, and I'm saying if there WASNT a one year sit period then the big programs would just be calling all the lower programs best players each year and offering them spots they need filled on the roster, and if you have NBA aspirations you'll probably go.

Reaction Score
MBB_Transfer_2016_REP_trends_320_20161116.jpg

Not really increasing over time, at least not in the modern era (although this chart isn't quite up to date).

Although Grad transfers ARE increasing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No, he was asking if sitting out a year is really necessary because coaches aren't subjected to the same penalty.

Where did I say that?

Reaction Score
Did you even read what is being talked about? What does Ryan Harrow have to do with this?

Someone said was proposing that transfers sitting out a year is necessary because coaches don't need to do the same thing, and I'm saying if there WASNT a one year sit period then the big programs would just be calling all the lower programs best players each year and offering them spots they need filled on the roster, and if you have NBA aspirations you'll probably go.
Missed that part. In that case I agree with you

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Where did I say that?
You mentioned how coaches are allowed to leave with no penalty or wait period, therefore implying players should be able to as well.

If not then I misread your context but it was definitely proposed at the top of the thread by someone or the other.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IMO it falls back on how kids view the recruiting process: they look at how sweet your gym is, what shoes you get, how bright are your alternate uniforms are, how much the booster puts in the duffle bag. They don't care about how they fit into the program and coaches tell them whatever they wanna hear. Do a little research and ask the right questions and every player won't be looking to leave after their freshman year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What the hell does it matter if a coach can leave whenever they want? Coach=/= player. I'm not against transfers altogether but some of it has to fall back on the kids/families for being oblivious during recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom