Today's culture of transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Today's culture of transfers

Reaction Score
MBB_Transfer_2016_REP_trends_320_20161116.jpg

Not really increasing over time, at least not in the modern era (although this chart isn't quite up to date).

Although Grad transfers ARE increasing.

Actually, what I take away from this is that JuCo transfers have decreased somewhat, but transfers from one 4-year program to another are up almost 50% relative to 10 years ago. That's what everyone has noticed.

And it would probably be even higher if you include the last 2 years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You mentioned how coaches are allowed to leave with no penalty or wait period, therefore implying players should be able to as well.
If not then I misread your context but it was definitely proposed at the top of the thread by someone or the other.

I'm not sure how you can make the jump to no wait period. No wait period would be chaos, I agree. My heartburn was with DJobs tsk-tsking about the "culture of entitlement". People are entitled to leave a bad situation for something better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What the hell does it matter if a coach can leave whenever they want? Coach=/= player. I'm not against transfers altogether but some of it has to fall back on the kids/families for being oblivious during recruiting.
What has to fall back on the kids?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No, he was asking if sitting out a year is really necessary because coaches aren't subjected to the same penalty. It's absolutely necessary otherwise the entire effort of recruiting a player for years is a waste of time, each offseason would just turn into big program free agency. Filling holes in the roster each new year with the best experienced players from around the country with no penalty or wait period. Disaster.

He quoted a post that was talking about transferring in general. somebody else brought up the 1 year thing after that OP. Which implies he hadn't read that far down in the thread yet.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you can make the jump to no wait period. No wait period would be chaos, I agree. My heartburn was with DJobs tsk-tsking about the "culture of entitlement". People are entitled to leave a bad situation for something better.
I don't really know what your talking about. Jumping to what?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't really know what your talking about. Jumping to what?

Jumping to no wait period = jumping to the conclusion that he was talking about 'not having to sit out a year' before the idea it was even brought up in the thread.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
IMO it falls back on how kids view the recruiting process: they look at how sweet your gym is, what shoes you get, how bright are your alternate uniforms are, how much the booster puts in the duffle bag. They don't care about how they fit into the program and coaches tell them whatever they wanna hear. Do a little research and ask the right questions and every player won't be looking to leave after their freshman year.

Kids leave for playing time all the time. The issue is kids think they are way better than they are coming out of AAU. Elevated comp separates the wheat from the chaff.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What has to fall back on the kids?
Evaluating if they fit at that school and what they hope their role to be. Do they wanna star on a bad team, ride the pine and go to 4 final fours, etc. If a coach says you have to compete for playing time and you're not competing you're not gonna play, don't bail to a crappier team.

Reaction Score
Actually, what I take away from this is that JuCo transfers have decreased somewhat, but transfers from one 4-year program to another are up almost 50% relative to 10 years ago. That's what everyone has noticed.

And it would probably be even higher if you include the last 2 years.

Begs the question if it's an inverse relationship to some extent with JUCO or a coincidence.

Reaction Score
I don't see the problem. Coaches leave at will for the "best situation", why not players?

I have no opinion as to it being a problem or not. I'm merely stating the reality of it and saying we should never be surprised about it. Hell, down here in South Florida kids jump from team to team in pop warner and pee wee football, so nothing ever surprises me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom