Today is National Signing Day (Ice Brady - Ayanna Patterson) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Today is National Signing Day (Ice Brady - Ayanna Patterson)

Reaction Score
For anyone who has not seen Boston play this year, she has lost 20+ pounds and is quicker and more agile than in the past. Against Top 5 N Carolina State and their All American center, Boston dominated on defense and did not get winded. With several strong backups, she appeared in top condition through out. There are few current college players I would compare her to - no high school players.
Are you sure you can for sure make that assertion about her conditioning? Yes she lost weight but if I remember the box score correctly she didn't even break 20 minutes. I would hope she wouldn't be winded....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Click to expand:

FD3YwCeWQAQ_gHD
This table needs an adjustment because the scholarship count is starting at 0 and should be starting at 1. For the '22-23 season UCONN has 2 Open scholarships not the three indicated in this table.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This table needs an adjustment because the scholarship count is starting at 0 and should be starting at 1. For the '22-23 season UCONN has 2 Open scholarships not the three indicated in this table.

I think it's set up that way because of the question of Juhasz' return. They list her but don't use a scholarship for her since it's up in the air. If she returns then just the two open spots.

Reaction Score
Are you sure you can for sure make that assertion about her conditioning? Yes she lost weight but if I remember the box score correctly she didn't even break 20 minutes. I would hope she wouldn't be winded....
I watched the second half of the game, she definitely looks better and slimmer. But IMO she still seemed very winded for only 20 minutes. Maybe understandable for playing against a tough player in Cunane, but I was really surprised that her conditioning was what it was.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Patterson looked a little raw in the 3X3. Often athletically dominant players don't need good footwork or use sound defensive techniques, they dominate without them. That's not to say that Patterson is lacking skills. But her ceiling is so high!
Very much my impression as well: very athletic but will need much work and attention on refining her offensive skills.

Reaction Score
For anyone who has not seen Boston play this year, she has lost 20+ pounds and is quicker and more agile than in the past. Against Top 5 N Carolina State and their All American center, Boston dominated on defense and did not get winded. With several strong backups, she appeared in top condition through out. There are few current college players I would compare her to - no high school players.
If she didn’t get winded, then why did she sit out for 10 minutes in the second half?

Reaction Score
When I see Patterson, I think of a rebounding oriented forward. Mopping up around the rim and getting offensive rebounds. No way she comes in and is all college defense from day one and no way she comes in as a bigtime scorer. She has TREMENDOUS potential and works hard. I think she's a great pickup but she's still a work in progress. Geno will be great for her. Don't expect Maya Moore though. That's a tall order. Sometimes really strong athletic types are so muscle bound that shooting is harder for them to master. She is a hell of an athlete though. Good kid also.
I see Patterson as some version of Gabby Williams. Or maybe the specific college version of Swin Cash.

I see Brady as some version of Asjha Jones. Or a smaller version of Stef Dolson. Or without the handle but a better outside shooter than Morgan Tuck.

Reaction Score
I see Patterson as some version of Gabby Williams. Or maybe the specific college version of Swin Cash.

I see Brady as some version of Asjha Jones. Or a smaller version of Stef Dolson. Or without the handle but a better outside shooter than Morgan Tuck.
I think you could be right on. I see some Morgan Tuck with Brady too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
More detailed comments from Geno on the new recruits:

Brady told The Courant recently that, since committing, she has become a much stronger player and has tried to establish herself as a more versatile threat who can play out on the perimeter. Auriemma has noticed.

“Big kids that can pass, shoot the ball a little bit, handle themselves all over the court, pretty much are very rare to find, unless you go to volleyball practice. That’s that’s where usually all the big kids that used to play basketball are these days,” he said. “So when you find somebody like that, you just kind of hope that each year they get better and better and better. And she has. Our offense really is predicated on big kids that can move, catch, pass, shoot it, dribble it, and I think she fits that mold.

“She’s a big body, tough kid. I mean, as tough as a kid from California can be.”

Meanwhile, Patterson’s athleticism is, according to evaluators, perhaps the best in her class, helping give her a high pro projection. Auriemma and staff can help polish the rest of her game, but he thinks her impact could be felt even sooner on the defensive end and on the glass.

“It’s hard to really project because every time she plays, she’s double- and triple-teamed. So you say to yourself, ‘How will she do when she’s not?’ And that’s what I’m thinking,” he said. “She has a great stroke. She is not consistent enough with it, so that’s going to be a big point [when she gets here] because if she does that, then obviously she can help us a ton.

“And I think defensively and around the rim because of her athletic ability, I think she’ll be able to [help]. Anytime you can get from here to there quickly and can get from here [down] to there [up] quickly, you have a chance to contribute. And she can do that.”

r​

Reaction Score
Bills Fan, I respect your opinion, and didn’t have to respond. But as you stated, Patterson will be a freshman, while Boston will be a senior. As a UCONN fan, I always want them to win, but I have to be realistic. And should that matchup occur, UCONN may win that specific game, but Boston will outplay Patterson. Boston’s natural BB abilities, experience, gifts, and talents will be vastly improved, than what they are today. Why do I say that? I’ve seen the improvements she’s made since her freshman year, while Patterson has not yet played a college game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom