Today I heard the ECU fb coach talk about college football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Today I heard the ECU fb coach talk about college football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just so I am clear: we are talking about the same ECU that the Big East wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole being a target of the SEC?

Yes, but, thats just pie in the sky wishing from their fanbase.

Reaction Score
ECU gets the SEC a foothold in the #9 most populous state. Not that I believe the SEC would extend an invite....

I never thought that the Big Ten would take Rutgers, that the WAC would collapse (one year ago this week). Times and situations change.

Honestly, I was always sort of surprised that the Big East did not give them a longer look.

Like you said about the SEC, it would have planted the BE flag squarely in the heart of ACC country, and, put the BE TV network on the air here. They would've been competitive in football, and, been one of the very best baseball programs in the league. Basketball would have suffered, but, they would've been competitive in time.

And, it would've been a MAJOR irritant to the NC ACC schools, knowing that a BE league member was right in their backyard.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
ECU gets the SEC a foothold in the #9 most populous state. Not that I believe the SEC would extend an invite....

I never thought that the Big Ten would take Rutgers, that the WAC would collapse (one year ago this week). Times and situations change.

What's the point in being in a state where none of the population centers are near the university / care about the university. The nearest metro is Raleigh 1.5 hours away and I think they follow a few other schools there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually, they should have a pretty good team in 2013. They will not be a pushover for anybody on their schedule.

They are decent. CUSA is an embarrassment. We'll see in September with ECU.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Honestly, I was always sort of surprised that the Big East did not give them a longer look.

Like you said about the SEC, it would have planted the BE flag squarely in the heart of ACC country, and, put the BE TV network on the air here. They would've been competitive in football, and, been one of the very best baseball programs in the league. Basketball would have suffered, but, they would've been competitive in time.

And, it would've been a MAJOR irritant to the NC ACC schools, knowing that a BE league member was right in their backyard.
If ECU joined the BE and thrived, the ACC would have just stole them away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UNC and especially NCSU fans would burn down their campuses if there was even a hint of ECU joining the ACC. They completely freak out if they schedule them OOC.

Reaction Score

I can guarantee you that neither UNC or NCSU would vote to invite them into the ACC. Not to mention, none of the others would want a 5th NC-based school in the league.

Reaction Score
UNC and especially NCSU fans would burn down their campuses if there was even a hint of ECU joining the ACC. They completely freak out if they schedule them OOC.

At the beginning of the century, some eastern NC lawmakers DEMANDED that UNC and NCSU play ECU in football again, after both had not played them in awhile. And, it was mandated that they both play games in Greenville. For UNC, those games were in 2001 and 2003.

They've since scheduled several more games, likely without any pressure from the state legislature. I actually do not mind the games. Both stadia are full on gameday, and, ECU fans know how to tailgate, home and away. Inspite of the limited space to do so at Carolina.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the century, some eastern NC lawmakers DEMANDED that UNC and NCSU play ECU in football again, after both had not played them in awhile. And, it was mandated that they both play games in Greenville. For UNC, those games were in 2001 and 2003.

They've since scheduled several more games, likely without any pressure from the state legislature. I actually do not mind the games. Both stadia are full on gameday, and, ECU fans know how to tailgate, home and away. Inspite of the limited space to do so at Carolina.

Yeah I had NCSU season tickets in the mid 90's. I still follow them a bit and read the blogs and whatnot. Tell Wolfpack fans they are going to Greenville and watch hilarity ensue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think the ACC would have giggled their asses off.

Besides, having their basketball conference looking at the Big East's ass every year seemed to have irritated them to the point of launching a Normandy-style invasion of the Big East - not sure additional irritation was in order.

Reaction Score
What's the point in being in a state where none of the population centers are near the university / care about the university. The nearest metro is Raleigh 1.5 hours away and I think they follow a few other schools there.

Carriage fees for a network.....Nobody actually even has to watch the game if you are getting $.50 per TV household in the 9th most
popular state. It is why FSU isn't in the SEC. No new TV fees since the Gatorrs are already in the state.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC would have giggled their asses off.

Besides, having their basketball conference looking at the Big East's ass every year seemed to have irritated them to the point of launching a Normandy-style invasion of the Big East - not sure additional irritation was in order.

The ACC was going fine in basketball....they had won five basketball NC's 2000-2010 between Duke, UNC, and Maryland.

With Syracuse and Louisville on board...the ACC will have teams that between them have won 7 titles since 2000.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The ACC was going fine in basketball....they had won five basketball NC's 2000-2010 between Duke, UNC, and Maryland.

With Syracuse and Louisville on board...the ACC will have teams that between them have won 7 titles since 2000.
How many would they have if they chose UConn over Pitt?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC had way too many four-bid years to be considered 'fine' - it's great that UNC and Duke did their part, but the rest of the conference was largely missing in action.

The Big East was as strong at the top and much, much deeper. (Hence the 'football move' that landed two basketball schools.)

Reaction Score
I wish 0 success on anyone in the AAC not named UConn. The days of conference pride are over in CT, it's a scorched-earth policy going forward.

Better for UConn if the AAC teams win OOC. I will pull for every AAC team OOC until UConn lands in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
ECU (originally a Women's teacher college) will never get into the ACC as long as the other 3 NC schools are still there. Ever. They typically pick up the higher ranked NC recruits because they don't have the grades to get in at the other ACC schools (sound familiar?). While I admit they have a rabid eastern NC fanbase and have done admirably in filling up their stadium consistently. Their territory is limited to the eastern NC area, an area with no major cities. With Charlotte starting a program, and App State moving to D1, ECU will effectively be hemmed into the eastern NC region with no ability to grow their fanbase.

Reaction Score
Except they already have 4 schools in NC what would 1 more do and what could they add that they don't already have.I think they would have been a better fit for the BE and the heavy Midatlantic population that have been moving there in droves since the mid 90s till they surpassed NJs 9M population a couple years ago "11"?

Reaction Score
ECU (originally a Women's teacher college) will never get into the ACC as long as the other 3 NC schools are still there. Ever. They typically pick up the higher ranked NC recruits because they don't have the grades to get in at the other ACC schools (sound familiar?). While I admit they have a rabid eastern NC fanbase and have done admirably in filling up their stadium consistently. Their territory is limited to the eastern NC area, an area with no major cities. With Charlotte starting a program, and App State moving to D1, ECU will effectively be hemmed into the eastern NC region with no ability to grow their fanbase.
4 already there...Dook,NC ST,WF and UNC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom