Toby Kimball | The Boneyard

Toby Kimball

Reaction Score
Which UConn players, past or present, resemble his style of play and skills?

Reaction Score
Just based on similar size, propensity under the boards and general understanding of his style of play w/o ever watching him:

Post/Handle/Avatar and go with Adrien?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Which UConn players, past or present, resemble his style of play and skills?
Lead NCAA in RBs/game one year..Drafted by Celtics--Red A.--Style of play would have been great match for BE physical play.. Present player who would be similar (in style of play)..Body type..Physicality.. Adama's profile/tape/videos are comparable..Did not say results..

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Toby was the quintessential 4. Over the years, there really hasn't been anyone quite like him who has played for UConn. Probably the closest was Emeka. Toby and Emeka were both scoring threats underneath, but they were also the second option on their teams; Wes with Toby and Ben with Emeka. The major difference was rebounding. Remember Toby AVERAGED over 17 boards a game for a career at a time when there was no shot clock, so there were fewer shots being put up. He led the nation in rebounds at over 21 boards.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That's a tough one - if you had an opportunity to watch Toby K play, he was a rebounding machine and knew how to clear an area using his body. The closest I can come to that is Emeka and a bit of Ed Saunders in that part of the game. Offensively it is a bit tougher - in Toby's day the game was much slower and he was so much smarter than so many he played against. He didn't take many mid range shots because the guys he played with were good shooters and the style they played kept him anchored under the hoop. Maybe to a degree, John Thomas, but it's hard to find someone after the early 80s - the game and position has changed so much.

Reaction Score
I saw him play. He was a handful. Big, strong, good hands, long arms, he was well conditioned athelete, he never seemed tired to me but I'm sure it felt different to him. I agree he was a classic 4. He was always near the basket. He looked old even as a sophomore. I remember asking my older brother, who was at UConn during Kimball's years, if Kimball was a grad student because he looked so much older than the rest of the team. Of course, I was in grammar school so they all looked old to me.

Reaction Score
I've been a UConn follower since 1960. Graduated 71. Listened to every game on WTIC with my Dad. Started with Eddie Slomcenski. Toby Kimball was a dominant rebounder and a very good scorer. Wes was an amazing shooter. I can't imagine what his totals would have been in the 3 point era. This was also the same time Dom Perno was around playing. Hugh Greer coached. Jeff Adrien was the closest to Toby in style and grit but Toby was special. I used to argue on air with Arnold Dean about building Gampel (the size, not the idea) Still an avid fan as are my three sons although they attended college elsewhere. I can't wait for this season. We're back!!!!

Reaction Score
When UConn played Duke in the Elite Eight in 1964 (lost 109-54), I listened to the start of the game on the Duke radio station, which came in at night loud and clear from Raleigh. The game was not on TV. Duke had 6-10 guys starting at both the 4 and 5, but I remember the Duke color announcer marveling at the unique physicality of the 6-8 Kimball. "You have to see this guy, " he said. "He is an absolute horse."

Kimball was not barrel-chested or strong-armed, nor was he out-sized in either the derriere or legs. He did not bulge muscle. What he had was the longest torso relative to his height of any athlete I have seen. Add to that an elongated head, and the comparison to a horse becomes striking. He was lean and hard -- bone hard -- and he could out-body anyone. I never saw him physically over-matched.

The best comparison I can make is to the golfer Dustin Johnson.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Kimball was not a super athlete. But he was super strong, played mean (nice guy though). and very effective scoring near the hoop including a baby hook. Not being a great leaper, he had trouble in the NBA scoring against guys his size or even a little shorter who were leapers. I think maybe Voskhul comes closest, but nowhere near as skilled as Kimball. Okafor maybe the skill set, but definitely more athletic but not as strong. Kimball literally intimidated other post type players and had sharp elbows and broad shoulders. Art Quimby was before my time and was clearly a top rebounder, but I think at about 6’5”. I’m guessing head to head Quimby wouid have had trouble with Kimball, who, BTW, I have an NBA card of.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've been a UConn follower since 1960. Graduated 71. Listened to every game on WTIC with my Dad. Started with Eddie Slomcenski. Toby Kimball was a dominant rebounder and a very good scorer. Wes was an amazing shooter. I can't imagine what his totals would have been in the 3 point era. This was also the same time Dom Perno was around playing. Hugh Greer coached. Jeff Adrien was the closest to Toby in style and grit but Toby was special. I used to argue on air with Arnold Dean about building Gampel (the size, not the idea) Still an avid fan as are my three sons although they attended college elsewhere. I can't wait for this season. We're back!!!!
I actually think Slomcenski, who wasn’t terrible, got in Kimball’s way a bit. Toby’s senior year was his only one without Slomcenski and was Toby’s best year. It was also the only year he teamed with Wes B. They lost 2,games, both in a row, the first when both were out sick and the second where one of them, can’t remember which, was still out. They got a terrible draw in the NCAA, especially for Wes. They had to play highly ranked St Joe’s, at the Palestra, one of St Joe’s home courts in the opening round. Their star was kind of unusual in those days,All American Matt Goukas, a 6’6” point guard who guarded Wes who was 4 inches shorter. Wes had a tough game. But that was the game Toby set the tournament rebounding record at a ridiculous 29 and got the lead headline in the Philly papers even though UConn lost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kimball was not a super athlete. But he was super strong, played mean (nice guy though). and very effective scoring near the hoop including a baby hook. Not being a great leaper, he had trouble in the NBA scoring against guys his size or even a little shorter who were leaders. I think maybe Voskhul comes closest, but nowhere near as skilled as Kimball. Okafor maybe the skill set, but definitely more athletic but not as strong. Kimball literally intimidated other post type players and had sharp elbows and broad shoulders. Art Quimby was before my time and was clearly a top rebounder, but I think at about 6’5”. I’m guessing head to head Quimby wouid have had trouble with Kimball, who, BTW, I have an NBA card of.

Alas, Art Quimby was not before my time. You are right about his height, maybe 6-5 in heels, and you're right that he would have had his hands full with Kimball. In fact, Quimby was twice dominated in his senior year by Dartmouth's Jim Francis, a slim 6-8. Dartmouth won both games, two of only four regular season losses UConn had that year. Basketball changed in the mid-50's, when even UConn picked up a 6-8 player in Al Cooper. Quimby's domination was strictly a function of a time when basketball was played by mid-sized white guys. Kimball, on the other hand, could have played in our day, albeit probably as a 4.

Reaction Score
I really like all the comparisons here. One of my memories of Toby was during his time with the Celtics. It was a televised game with the Cs up big. Toby was in at the end with the other backups. He was not a very good foul shooter, although his year with the Celtics was probably his best. Anyway, it was near the end of the game and he is on the foul line, first shot misses and the camera catches Bill Russell chuckling on the bench. You know what a good laugh Bill has. For some reason, I'll always remember that.

Reaction Score
I really like all the comparisons here. One of my memories of Toby was during his time with the Celtics. It was a televised game with the Cs up big. Toby was in at the end with the other backups. He was not a very good foul shooter, although his year with the Celtics was probably his best. Anyway, it was near the end of the game and he is on the foul line, first shot misses and the camera catches Bill Russell chuckling on the bench. You know what a good laugh Bill has. For some reason, I'll always remember that.
Was Toby a good defender and shot blocker? I don't think I read anything about that.

I looked on Youtube, but saw no live footage of his playing days at UConn. I wonder if there is any archival footage from the Athletic Department they would be willing to have posted online. Maybe old TV broadcasts of some of the games exist?

I wonder if there is any for Wes?

Might anyone have it , that could be uploaded onto the BY or rather onto Youtube for the benefit of the BY?

Also, excellent comments above. I never saw him play because I entered the university after he had graduated. I did see Wes for a few years and marveled at his deep jump shots. Maybe he would have averaged 35 ppg. for his last year with a 3 point line.

Reaction Score
I actually think Slomcenski, who wasn’t terrible, got in Kimball’s way a bit. Toby’s senior year was his only one without Slomcenski and was Toby’s best year. It was also the only year he teamed with Wes B. They lost 2,games, both in a row, the first when both were out sick and the second where one of them, can’t remember which, was still out. They got a terrible draw in the NCAA, especially for Wes. They had to play highly ranked St Joe’s, at the Palestra, one of St Joe’s home courts in the opening round. Their star was kind of unusual in those days,All American Matt Goukas, a 6’6” point guard who guarded Wes who was 4 inches shorter. Wes has a tough game. But that was the game Toby set the tournament rebounding record at a ridiculous 29 and got the lead headline in the Philly papers even though UConn lost.

Toby had 20 rebounds at the half in the St. Joseph's game but was somewhat spent in the second half.

The NCAA putting UConn on the road at the Palestra against the #3 ranked team in the country was the first overt act by the NCAA to show UConn it didn't want them in the national spotlight!

Reaction Score
Was Toby a good defender and shot blocker? I don't think I read anything about that.

I looked on Youtube, but saw no live footage of his playing days at UConn. I wonder if there is any archival footage from the Athletic Department they would be willing to have posted online. Maybe old TV broadcasts of some of the games exist?

Might anyone have it , that could be uploaded onto the BY or rather onto Youtube for the benefit of the BY?

Also, excellent comments above. I never saw him play because I entered the university after he had graduated. I did see Wes for a few years and marveled at his deep jump shots. Maybe he would have averaged 35 ppg. for his last year with a 3 point line.

There's probably as much video/film of UConn games before their days in the Big East as there is of the Warriors when Wilt scored his 100 points. None.
But if there is some site with such videos/film I'd sure like to see some of those games from Shabel's time as coach. UConn had a chance to blossom into the big time but Shabel left and it took another 20 years before we had the guy we needed to lead the team to fame and national stature.

Reaction Score
Tough comparisons here. I would say Jeff Adrien. When Toby Kimball got his hands on a rebound, it was his.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Exactly. I remember that well. Poor Toby. He and Wes, both gone.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

For Kimball. yes as to D. Shot blocking I don't recall, it wasn't that big a focus, but you could not get around him. Very good foot work and coordination. I seem to recall that he was drafted by some NFL team as a tight end even though he never played in college. Big, strong, used his body well and excellent hands and would've been a load to bring down.

I think Wes would've been guarded differently with a 3 point line. Crazy range to where he wasn't contested that often from where he shot. He wasn't super fast, but was pretty strong with a good mid-range bank shot, he might've driven more and he was an elite foul shooter. I think in his rookie year in the ABA which had a 3 point line, he led the league in 3 point %. His career was hampered when Rick Barry jumped from the NBA to Wes's ABA team and the whole offense went through Barry which marginalized Wes.

He was my year. I don't know if they still have a week Spring fundraiser at UConn, but they had such a week for the equivalent of the United Way that included a midway in the field house. I happened to be there near where one of the games was you got three foul shots to make two on an 11 foot high hoop over a pool of water. Success led to a co-ed (old speak) on a dunking stool who would take a cold bath if the shooter succeeded. Nobody did. Then Wes strolled by. Those of us watching thought. no way without a little warm up anyway. Wrong. First two shots, swish, and the girl got her clothes cleaned.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Toby had 20 rebounds at the half in the St. Joseph's game but was somewhat spent in the second half.

The NCAA putting UConn on the road at the Palestra against the #3 ranked team in the country was the first overt act by the NCAA to show UConn it didn't want them in the national spotlight!
It got worse. My frosh year UConn got to the Regional Finals after beating Temple and Princeton but got killed by Duke by about 50 (we had a party scheduled after so made it a Victory over Princeton and Bill Bradley party. The next year was the St. Joe game. Two years in a row UConn had represented the YanCon well. And the next year, the automatic bid for the YanCon champ was dropped. That following year (Wes, Penders, Holowaty, Hesford,Corley) they get snubbed by the NCAA and invited to the still relatively prestigious NIT. The AD at the time, very old school JO Christian. po'd the students, leading to a protest. by turning down the invite on the premise that UConn owed its allegiance to the NCAA, the year after the NCAA had canned the YanCon.

Reaction Score
Remember Toby AVERAGED over 17 boards a game for a career at a time when there was no shot clock, so there were fewer shots being put up. He led the nation in rebounds at over 21 boards.

Actually in that era, there were MORE shots being put up due to the style of play. For example in Toby's senior year, there were 139 shots per game in UConn games. This year there were 116. There were also more foul shots in 1964-65 than this year. Another factor was that the game was less fluid and a very high pct of the rebounds went to the four and the five. As an example of the effect of the style of play, look at the top 25 rebounders in NCAA history. Only one played in the last 25 years. One more example of the effect of style of play: Wilt Chamberlain averaged 25 rebounds per game over his first nine seasons in the NBA. Others in the NBA had multiple seasons over 20 rpg. But over the past 25 years, no NBA player has averaged over 16.1 rpg, and no one other than Rodman has done it in the last 40 years.

Reaction Score
Funny i loved Bialasuknia and never heard him called "Wondrous Wes". He was called"The Poughkeepsie Popper" from what I remember. I believe I have that video.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom