Tobin Anderson to Iona | The Boneyard

Tobin Anderson to Iona

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is going to be funny if the MAAC were to invite FDU.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Much more realistic option for Kimani. If it's a good fit, I'd love to see him get his first HC gig there.
The only MAAC school to take a leap on our assistants would be Fairfield. 90% of their donors wants Young out and they’d be willing to take the risk on Luke Murray given his experience.

But Young is likely back for 2023-2024 despite tanking the program more than Sydney Johnson.

Reaction Score
If FDU bolts for MAAC, the NEC needs to fold. The NEC took Stonehill to replace Bryant and lost Loyola of Maryland last year without a replacement and now St. Francis Brooklyn is gone. The NEC has Howard for some sports which makes no sense geographically.

Reaction Score
So did he basically win the Iona job by beating Purdue?

Basically, yes. He was an exceptionally successful D2 coach, but only 1 year of D1 HC experience. Strikes me as a high ceiling, low floor coach.

Reaction Score
Nice recovery by Iona. They went from an old, expensive coach who lost in the first round to a younger, cheaper coach who beat Purdue in the first round and came close to winning in the second round.

Reaction Score
I didn’t realize that Iona was a better job than FDU.
10x better job.

NEC, and I love the league, is probably the second-worst league in the NCAA outside of the SWAC. St Francis just dropped their athletic program.

I like the story. Finalist in 2020, gets job 3 years later. Did a good job at FDU too.

Reaction Score
Basically, yes. He was an exceptionally successful D2 coach, but only 1 year of D1 HC experience. Strikes me as a high ceiling, low floor coach.
The key is the Iona folks knew him. He was a finalist when Pitino got the job.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Tobin Anderson's resume is impressive.
From his press conferences, it sounds like no D1 team wanted to give him a chance probably because he's a bit of a quirky guy who talks fast and hadn't coached D1 before. But he's actually like a basketball guru.

His resume speaks volumes- he has won for many years at every level of the college game. Props to FDU for giving him the chance he needed. I have no doubt he's going to go on and kill it wherever he goes. Might not be Pitino level at Iona yet, but he'll win there.

Reaction Score
From his press conferences, it sounds like no D1 team wanted to give him a chance probably because he's a bit of a quirky guy who talks fast and hadn't coached D1 before. But he's actually like a basketball guru.

His resume speaks volumes- he has won for many years at every level of the college game. Props to FDU for giving him the chance he needed. I have no doubt he's going to go on and kill it wherever he goes. Might not be Pitino level at Iona yet, but he'll win there.

A lot will depend on what assistants he can bring in, and who they can help him recruit. Talent > anything. If he can bring in anywhere near the talent they were able to get with Pitino, he'll be just fine. Xs and Os-wise, he's got a good head on his shoulders.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So did he basically win the Iona job by beating Purdue?

KInda, but I think he might have interviewed there in the cycle when they hired Pitino.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom